Search Unity

Easy Save - The Complete Save Data & Serialization Asset

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JoelAtMoodkie, May 28, 2011.

1. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

Please could you create a basic project which replicates this and PM it to me with instructions to replicate it?

Many thanks,
    Joel

2. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Thanks ! I was actually able to fix it on one of my scenes, the one that I use to create the whole hierarchy(basically a game level) that I save with. Now, I save this to a file and when I load it on the current scene again, it works fine.

However, it fails to work on a different scene and I am not sure why. When loading on another scene, the results are all over the place. I do get some prefabs on the Easy Save 3 Temporary objects and i also get like a prefab clone outside of the object.

Is there a restriction when loading data of one scene to another one ? I was examining the source and noticed that if goIDs are null, then this temporary object is created. I kinda wanted to ask you what would cause this.

I am guessing that improper custom types could cause something like that, but I don't really get why it happens on the external scene and not on the current. I think it may have to do with references pre-existing on the gameObject that maybe reference objects which mess up the LoadInto call or so. I am trying to figure it out.

I will see if i can compile a smaller project to illustrate this if i completely fail in solving it. It may be a bit complex to do so, but thanks for helping !

3. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

An Easy Save 3 Temporary GameObject is created when it cannot resolve a given reference ID. If you are creating your own GameObjects at runtime and then trying to load into it, the reference IDs will not be the same as the data you're loading. In this case you should use the Saving and Loading Prefab Instances instructions here, and use ES3.Load<GameObject> so that Easy Save can create the instance itself and assign the correct instance IDs to it when loading.

Also, check that there is an Easy Save 3 Manager in your scene. If there's not, go to Assets > Easy Save 3 > Add Manager to Scene.

Finally, if loading in a different scene to where you saved, the Easy Save 3 Manager will be using different IDs for objects located in the Assets folder. To make the IDs match, you can copy the Easy Save 3 Manager from the save scene to the load scene, and then press the Refresh References button on the manager's ES3ReferenceMgr component. We're currently working on a solution to make IDs match between scenes without having to worry about doing this.

However, it's not possible for me to tell exactly what is happening at your end for sure without a simple project to replicate it :)

All the best,
    Joel

4. greengremline

greengremline

Hey, I'm trying to use EasySave 3 in my project. I'm trying to only stream assets at runtime using asset bundles - however, I believe that the easy save reference manager is causing asset duplication as it hard references those assets into the scene as well. This would cause a lot of problems, if say, it references a combined 4GB of textures and then when the asset bundles containing them unload, it doesn't null the references to those textures

upload_2019-1-5_23-41-17.png

Would there be a way to avoid that by not using the manager, or is that baked into the system? I'm pretty much only saving data files, not unity objects, and my game is procedural so I don't save anything inside scenes - everything is generated from prefabs and code

Thanks!

EDIT: One thing I have tried is to not include Easy Save Manager in the scene, but instead generate it dynamically at runtime before beginning the game - this seems to work, with my build size reduced by 350MB while save / load works as expected

In addition, I have reduced my memory usage in the main menu (where I was previously storing the easy save manager) from 1GB to 250MB just by making that one change

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

That was the issue ! I would never have guessed that :) Looks like it's working now.

I have to say that this is an extremely useful feature for my game, really appreciate your help ! Just gave you a very well deserved five star review. Thanks !!

6. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

The Easy Save 3 Manager is only required if you're storing references, or using the Auto Save functionality. You can stop the manager being added to your scene automatically by going to Window > Easy Save 3 > Settings and unchecking Auto Add Manager to Scene.

Alternatively you can go to the ES3ReferenceMgr component attached to the manager, open the References list, and delete the references you don't want from there.

We use Unity's CollectDependencies method to find references in the scene, so it's strange that it would be collecting a hard reference. I'll look into this further to see if it's intended behaviour at their end.

All the best,
    Joel

7. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Glad it's all working for you now. Many thanks for the kind review, it's really appreciated :)

All the best,
    Joel

8. TorramboTeam

TorramboTeam

Hi, I have been using the Easy Save for quite some time and it has done wonders for me, a very good tool.

I saw on a few messages above that I can choose to not use the ES3 manager, since I don't store references (I think) and don't use Auto Save, although I'll do some tests of what I really need so that everything works fine.

But I just wanted to point out that something went wrong in my project, and when I press to either expand the references array, or click on the Refresh References, it simply stops/locks the editor altogether. The problem truly arises when I try to build the scene. I did not test this with a smaller scene, but mine is not that big. When I try to build the game, the build time simply rises to infinity. The last build before I add a saving system which uses Easy Save, and therefore adds the manager on the scene, took 1h (but I think this was a bug, because I get less than 10 min on a different version of Unity), with the saving system, it went to 15h+. At 15h was when I cancelled the building and gave up because something was definitely wrong.

I do have some things to confirm if I need or do not the ES3 manager so that everything saving related works. So I might update this, but for now, is more of a note.

9. TorramboTeam

TorramboTeam

Ok, just to do a fast update: I tested on a smaller scene, and is not that it freezes the Editor forever. But within the smaller scene, it took a good 20 seconds to refresh the references.

10. TorramboTeam

TorramboTeam

Final Update here, I guess. After testing, indeed, my using of the Easy Save did not require that manager to be on the scene, and worked ok without it. So my solution will be to not use it. But my note continues above. For some reason the references were getting too many objects to track, which to update the references was taking an eternity.

11. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

We have seen this issue before and are currently working on a workaround. When this occurs, we think Unity's GetDependencies method repeatedly gets dependencies for the same object, leading to an exponential cost. So there's a few strategies which we're hoping to break down the dependency generation into smaller chunks so that this doesn't happen.

All the best,
    Joel

12. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello, I have a quick question.
    Do I always have to check if the data exist before loading?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /* Check that there is data to load */
    2. if(ES2.Exists("myInt"))
    3.     /* Load the int we saved into myInt */
    4.     myInt = ES2.Load<int>("myInt");
    What if Im loading a bool value? Can I just try to load it and I will get false if it doesnt exists?

Thanks for your help

13. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

In Easy Save 2, if you are unsure whether data will exist you need to check whether it exists before attempting to load it.

In Easy Save 3 you can use the defaultValue parameter of the ES3.Load method.

All the best,
    Joel

Hazneliel likes this.
  14. WildMaN

WildMaN

Hey,
    Any chance for compile warnings fix?

Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Editor/AddES3Prefab.cs(17,21): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType(UnityEngine.Object)' is obsolete: `Use GetPrefabAssetType and GetPrefabInstanceStatus to get the full picture about Prefab types.'

Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/ES3.cs(494,3): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.WWW' is obsolete: `Use UnityWebRequest, a fully featured replacement which is more efficient and has additional features'

Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/Types/Unity Types/Component Types/ES3Type_MeshCollider.cs(22,49): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.MeshCollider.inflateMesh' is obsolete: `MeshCollider.inflateMesh is no longer supported. The new cooking algorithm doesn't need inflation to be used.'

etc.

15. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

These will be removed in the upcoming update. For the time being they are harmless as Unity has not yet removed the code from their API.

All the best,
    Joel

16. sofianehamza

sofianehamza

hello, i use playmaker with easy save it works perfectly with the pc build but once I use WebGL with playerprefs it works on the editor. but when I compile and open WebGL ,easy save doesn't t seem to work then. I found the error in retrieving the data from the cloud. I m using json also AES encryption.
    thanks in advance

17. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

Please could you provide more information on the error message you are receiving? I.e. error message and error code.

All the best,
    Joel

18. Dan2013

Dan2013

@joelte
    The latest ES on asset store is released at Sep 17, 2018.
    Today, I imported it into Unity 2018.3.6, and got a lot of warnings, since Unity deprecated a lot of old APIs.
    Would you update the ES? Unity has a lot of updates recently: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

19. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

We're currently waiting to hear back on workarounds for bugs at Unity's end before releasing the upcoming update. However, if this doesn't happen in the near future, we'll put the update online early.

All the best,
    Joel

Dan2013 likes this.
  20. Dan2013

Dan2013

What a fast reply. Thanks!

21. Dan2013

Dan2013

@joeltebbett
    I am wondering what is the best way to manage version dependency of Unity and 3rd party assets.
    Ideally, an asset user should be able to download all asset versions that works 100% correctly with the corresponding Unity archived versions (from the older ones to the newest one). Unfortunately, I think there is no such system provided by Unity. We can only download the newest version of a 3rd party asset. Unity team does not give the newest version to asset developers like you to eliminate all warnings/errors before they release the newest version?
    Every time I update Unity, endless warnings/errors pop out... pretty frustrating to fix them... T_T

22. Darkstep79

Darkstep79

I'm using Easy Save 3 with Unity 2018.3.11 and I have a problem with my application crashing (sadly with no crash dump or information in the output log) as it just blinks away. The issue only occurs when saving with AES enabled and it only occurs in the Windows stand alone build (both shipping and development builds). I've tried enabled automatic Windows crash dumping via registry editing and using a full Visual Studio build from Unity. Even with Visual Studio there is no hint of an error or exception, the application just stops. I edited the Player settings to have full output for Error, Assert, and Exceptions.

Everything seems fine in the Editor and standalone works fine when not using AES. The crash happens when loading a scene with SceneManager and I do my saving within OnDestroy for a few gameobjects. I can see the .sav files getting created properly but when the crash occurs I get a .sav.tmp file. I can rename it to .sav and use that file, it appears proper. But for some reason the application stops and I can't find any way to find the root cause.

I switched my Project to use .NET 4.0 and this behavior hasn't changed. Does this sound familiar? Is there some Player setting I need to properly enable AES? Any ideas I can try?

23. sofianehamza

sofianehamza

hello
    when I try to use the ES3 cloud delete file action on playmaker
    I get the following error

Server returned 500 error with no message

24. sofianehamza

sofianehamza

I m getting this error on webgl with png and jpg files when the size is relatively big -over 100 kb

25. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi Joel,

I used ES2 until now and got a freeze-until-terminateUnity error in Unity2019.10f1 PC on saving stuff like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using (ES2Writer writer = ES2Writer.Create(Path_File)) {
    2.                     writer.Write(KeyTime, "MC.KeyTime[]");
    3.                     writer.Write(KeyValue, "MC.KeyValue[]");
    4.                     writer.Write(KeySetTimeFromTo, "MC.KeySetTimeFromTo[]");
    5.                     ...
    6.                     ...
    7.                     writer.Save(true); //true force overwrite
    8.                    AssetDatabase.Refresh(); // Required to update the unity database }
    Further the ES3 API provide missing information or you lost to update:
    ES3.Writer.Create(Path_File) cause a syntax error because the function require , ES3Settins settings) as well. Doc says it's optional but it's not. And I have no idea where to commit any default settings into the function.

Thank you.

26. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there, and apologies for the delayed response, Unity did not notify me that there were new posts in this thread.

I've never heard of this happening before, and it's very strange that nothing is being output to console. Would you be able to PM me a very basic project and instructions to replicate this?

All the best,
    Joel

27. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there, and apologies for the delayed response. Unity did not notify me that there were new posts in this thread.

A 500 error means that an error occurred at the server side. If you contact your server provider they will be able to give you the complete error message. Most often this occurs because a required feature at their end is disabled.

All the best,
    Joel

28. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

It's not possible for me to determine what is happening from the error message. Would you be able to send me a basic project and instructions which replicates this?

Also note that if you're storing the data locally, Unity imposes a 1MB limit on the amount of data you can save. I'm unsure whether this could trigger the error you are receiving, but if this is only happening with large files then this is all I can think is happening.

All the best,
    Joel

29. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there, and apologies for the delayed response. Unity didn't notify me that there were new posts in this thread.

We're given access to beta builds, but these usually contain a large number of bugs, and are subject to quite a lot of change. This allows us to report bugs to Unity, but doesn't allow us to properly test compatibility until they release a stable version.

All the best,
    Joel

30. ghegi

ghegi

Hello, I want to ask something. Can easysave let you save the chest states when switching between scenes. For example I have a chest made for this scene. 2 of them and then they're opened and then I leave the scene and when I come back, how to still save it as opened. I plan to make a game with like a 100 chests. is this doable with easysave?

Thank you!

31. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

This should be possible, but this very much depends on how your chest states are implemented.

I recommend taking a look at our guides to understand how Easy Save works. I also recommend taking a look at the Supported Types guide to see what types and fields can be saved. This should give you an idea of how you would incorporate Easy Save into your project.

All the best,
    Joel

32. ghegi

ghegi

Tb
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'm really trying to wrap my head against it but i cant seem to get it to work. For example a boolean controls a chest. How do I make the boolean load for the chest whenever a scene is loaded? Should I put the boolean to a manager and control my chest through that boolean?

33. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Generally you would load data in the Start() or Awake() method of a script, and save in the OnApplicationQuit(), OnApplicationPause() or OnDestroy() methods of a script.

When loading, simply check whether the boolean is false and if so, do whatever is required to put your chest into it's opened state.

All the best,
    Joel

34. ghegi

ghegi

Thanks for the reply. I'm a long way away from home and got this idea. Just hope it would work.

On start, I would want it to load its boolean isOpened state. But with a name of "chestState" + chestNumber.ToString() . I think this would make it flexible so I just assign a number to a chest so every chest is different but same script.

And whenever it is opened. I would save it with same name plus the number. Do you think that would work?

35. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Yes, that sounds ideal.

If you don't want to have to manually assign a number to the chest, you could always create a string field which is initialised with a GUID. i.e. something along the lines of:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public SaveChestState : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public string chestID = System.Guid.NewGuid();
    6.     public bool isOpened = false;
    8.     public void Start()
    9.     {
    10.         isOpened = ES3.Load<bool>(chestID);
    11.         if(isOpened)
    12.             // Put it into it's opened state
    13.     }
    15.     public void OnDestroy()
    16.     {
    17.         ES3.Save<bool>(chestID, isOpened);
    18.     }
    19. }
    Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Joel

36. ghegi

ghegi

Oh, holy crap! I didn't know that exists. Wow, thank you man. You really helped me here.

JoelAtMoodkie likes this.
  37. Dermestes

Dermestes

I have started looking at implementing Easy Save 3 into a project I am working on that requires saving meshes and materials at runtime. I am currently using a material that has a shader created with Amplify with color properties set by Material.SetColor(Property Name, color) by Synty Studios. When I load the material back into a scene it has reset all the colors back to the default colors. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get these colors to save and load correctly?

38. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

It's only possible to automatically save properties which are pre-defined by Unity because it's not possible to get the names of custom properties at runtime.

Instead you will need to save and load the colours separately. i.e. something along the lines of:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ES3.Save<Color>("myColor", mat.GetColor("yourPropertyName"));
    2. mat.SetColor("yourPropertyName", ES3.Load<Color>("myColor"));
    All the best,
    Joel

39. ghegi

ghegi

Hello, it's me again. I have an object that is instantiated through a script and I wan't to be able to have that instantiated object not destroyed when leaving that scene or stopping the game. I just can't figure out how to make it so that when opened, the instantiated object along with its properties is there in the scene. Thank you.

40. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

I believe you're after the Saving and Loading Prefab Instances section here: https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es3-guides/saving-loading-gameobjects-prefabs/

All the best,
    Joel

41. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

Hello! I keep getting the following error in the console whenever I start my game in Unity:

FormatException: File is not valid JSON. Expected '{' at beginning of file, but found '�'.
    ES3Internal.ES3JSONReader..ctor (System.IO.Stream stream, ES3Settings settings, System.Boolean readHeaderAndFooter) (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/Readers/ES3JSONReader.cs:39)
    ES3Reader.Create (ES3Settings settings) (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/Readers/ES3Reader.cs:314)
    ES3.Load[T] (System.String key, T defaultValue, ES3Settings settings) (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/ES3.cs:303)
    ES3AutoSaveMgr.Load () (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/Auto Save/ES3AutoSaveMgr.cs:42)
    ES3AutoSaveMgr.Awake () (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Scripts/Auto Save/ES3AutoSaveMgr.cs:56)

Nothing seems to be affected, everything still works as expected... but should I be concerned?

I have the Auto Save Mgr script disabled in my game because I didn't want to use it. Is that bad?

42. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

This error occurs when you try to load encrypted data, but encryption is not enabled. If you are no longer using Auto Save, you will need to delete the data associated with it. You can do this by going to Window > Easy Save 3 > Tools > Open Persistent Data Path, and delete the file from there. By default it should be AutoSave.es3.

All the best,
    Joel

43. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

Hmm OK yeah. So I just realised that the autosave manager has its own settings, in which encryption is disabled. And it looks like it was doing something even though the "ES3 Auto Save Mgr" script was disabled.

I still get the error if I...
    1. clear save data
    2. load the title screen
    3. load into gameplay, play a bit, make a manual save
    4. return to the title screen. the error occurs here.

I don't want to use autosave, and I didn't expect it to be operating if the script was deactivated. Should I just remove the "ES3 Auto Save Mgr" script from the "Easy Save 3 Manager" gameobject altogether?

44. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Hi there,

Awake() is still called if the script is disabled. You can delete the ES3 Auto Save Mgr component to stop this, or go to the settings for the Auto Save and set the Load Event to none.

All the best,
    Joel

45. BebopTune

BebopTune

Hello,
    I choose encryption type as AES default settings. I don't need to use ES3Settings , I will use Easy Save normal way, right?
    Stupid question but , is encryption password for decrypt the save file ? and if any user has this password can open own save file and make changes?

"some app stores require you to declare that you are using encryption" is IOS and Android stores needs that?

46. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

Ahh, that makes perfect sense. Removing the component fixed it. Thank you!

JoelAtMoodkie likes this.
  47. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

If you are using code, this will indeed encrypt or decrypt any data you have. If you are using Auto Save, you will need to set the encryption in the Auto Save settings.

The encryption password is used when encrypting and decrypting the file. Note that they will only be able to decrypt the file using Easy Save; it will not ask for their password if they were to open it in a text editor.

With regards to iOS and Android, I believe this still applies. However, you might want to contact each of the Asset Stores to check whether this applies to you, as this is controlled at their end.

All the best,
    Joel

48. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Howdy,

Currently the Auto Add Manager to Scene functionality has a bug. When selecting objects in the editor hierarchy a function is called which adds a new manager without checking the users settings for auto add.

In Easy Save 3/Editor/ES3Postprocessor.cs, lines 111-112:

Code (CSharp):
    1. else
    2.     AddManagerToScene().GetComponent<ES3ReferenceMgr>().AddDependencies(new UnityEngine.Object[] { go });
    My fix for the bug was to replace the above with the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. else if (_refMgr != null)
    2. {
    3.     _refMgr.gameObject.GetComponent<ES3ReferenceMgr>().AddDependencies(new UnityEngine.Object[] { go });
    4. }
    5. else if (defaultSettings.addMgrToSceneAutomatically)
    6. {
    7.     AddManagerToScene().GetComponent<ES3ReferenceMgr>().AddDependencies(new UnityEngine.Object[] { go });
    8. }
    This should help you if you're running into the same problem with the auto add functionality.

49. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

Well spotted, thanks for reporting this! I'll ensure this is fixed in the upcoming update.

All the best,
    Joel

50. faolad

faolad

Hello, I'm trying to implement assemblies on my project and I keep getting errors from ES3 any ideas on how to fix this? thanks!