Search Unity

Easy Performant Outline 3D is now available on assetstore!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by alior, Jan 29, 2020.

1. alior

alior

Hi everyone! We are glad to introduce you our plugin which allows you to change the way your game looks.

We were working on the asset for one of our games, but decided to add it to asset store. It was designed to be as performant as possible while maintaining nice features as per object softness/edge thickness etc.

As it's the first release of the asset we hope to get feedback/bugreports.

Best regards.

Asset link:
    http://u3d.as/1EXT

Examples:

Assetstore description:

Making outline has never been so easy! With outline you can easily improve your game look and feel creating unique selections/highlights ect. with ease. It works with simple or complex models and can be easily customized by changing parameters and setting.

How to use it:

Getting started with Easy Performant Outline 3D - in just minutes!! Simply start by adding a Outliner effect to your camera and Outliner component to objects you want to highlight and everything will work out of the box.

- Sample scene that shows examples
    - Many options to tweak outline to your need

Features:

• 100% post process effect
    • Fully customizable
    • Highly optimized for mobiles
    • Supports per object outline settings
    • Supports per object color
    • Supports multi layer outline

Documentation and example scenes inside package.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    WildSnakeAndy and sarynth like this.
  2. alior

alior

Hello guys!

We just submited new version 1.1 which added URP/LWRP support along with multiple bug fixes and performance improvements.

3. alior

alior

New update is pending review!
    • Fixed issue with enabling HDR in URP turns renderer mostly black.
    • Added support for previewing outline effect in edit window.

4. alior

alior

Fixed single pass instancing
    Added post effects
    Implemented outline alpha
    Minor fixes and improvements

5. huzhangyang

huzhangyang

Hi, any tips for mobile optimization? By default settings it decreases performance a lot in URP 2019.4. I believe tweaking settings in render feature will help.

6. lod3

lod3

@alior

Does this support toggling outlines via collision triggers? For instance, an outline around a trash can only appears when Player is inside a trigger collider, then disables once Player has left trigger.

7. alior

alior

Ho there! Please check out new version. It should definitely improve performance. If you'll still get any issue please write to my email pirate.parrot.software@gmail.com and we will have a look. Sorry for delayed answer but I wasnt check the forum for a while.

8. alior

alior

Hi! Please write to my email: pirate.parrot.software@gmail.com I can make a script for you which will do this kind of behaviour.

9. lod3

lod3

Will do! Thank you for the reply.

10. sarynth

sarynth

Just picked this up. It's pretty cool.

11. wtetotew

wtetotew

Hi.I just purchased Easy Outline.

I was wondering what can be deleted safely because the size of the folder is more than 100mo.
    Also I noticed there is a "legacy" package. Is it made for built in renderer?

Last question: Is it possible to add outlines to TextMeshPro?

Thanks and happy new year.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  12. sarynth

sarynth

My folder is under 3 megs. I didn't import the Demo folder.

Edit: I also didn't import the legacy package, and it's working fine for me on built in renderer. I'll let the author answer that, but my guess is that legacy is just an older version.

13. alior

alior

Hi there! You can safely delete demo and legasy (it's really just archived version 1.0 for those who are using it on the project at the moment, but I think I'll remove it completely). It will not affect anything for you. Unfortunately due to the way UI renders it's impossible to apply EPO to the UI. Please let me know if you have further question.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I simply make the outline thicker? The images in the documentation show a thick/wide outline but I can't seem to change it.

15. IsometricBacon

IsometricBacon

Hello! Have done some experimentation on the performance of this asset, and I've noticed the drawcalls increase significantly if the asset is statically batched.

Looking in the inspector during runtime at a statically batched object, the Outlineable component seems to be adding 33 instances of the same MeshRenderer, for a GameObject only containing one MeshRenderer.

Is this something that can be avoided, or is it simply the nature of static batched objects? We use a lot of static objects in our project for lightmapping / performance considerations, so adding the Outline adds some significant overhead.

See attached screenshot of what I'm referring to:

MeshRendererduplication.png

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  16. hurleybird

hurleybird

3D demo scene is pure magenta on a fresh 2019.4.23 project. This is right after importing, not doing anything at all with SRPs.

17. el_Guero

el_Guero

Can you somehow exclude other meshes and render the outline always behind them?

18. xDavidLeon

xDavidLeon

Hey @alior , any idea how to make the effect be applied After Postprocessing? I tried modifying the next line in URPOutlineFeature.cs

outline.renderPassEvent = RenderPassEvent.AfterRenderingPostProcessing;

but looks like it's not working. Looking at this thread it looks like that specific RenderPassEvent is not supported in URP?

Cheers!

19. hhungria

hhungria

I have some issues with your Puggling. Every time I play my project, it takes a long time to run. It shows me the message: "Checking model for easy performance" and It takes around 20 minutes

20. ihsan07

ihsan07

Hello. Your assets are amazing. I am trying to achieve something with EPO. I want outline to be masked by only some layers. Is there a solution for that?

21. JesOb

JesOb

Hi @alior

I can not find any Outliner Settings in project, code or decumentation
    Just one mention in inspector

Can you point me where can I found them?
    upload_2022-7-25_7-42-49.png

22. dock

dock

The Outliner is a component attached to the scene camera. You can change the basic outline settings from there.

JesOb likes this.
  23. Tretiak

Tretiak

Hi is it possible to change properties like gap color, size, softness,.. by code in script ? (those are properties when you use Front Back renderer and use Basic/Interlaced)

24. ckocank

ckocank

my EPO show up in editor but it does not show up in build, example does not work to. I copied all the setting from my old project that works, but nothing change.

25. jcbadboy

jcbadboy

It don't show on android device neither on Webgl. Only on editor.
    Any ideas?