Search Unity

Easy Input for Gear VR and Oculus Go [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by greggtwep16, May 2, 2017.

1. unity_D90EeE4xOIBjPQ

unity_D90EeE4xOIBjPQ

Hi again Greg! thank you for the fast answer and your time. I have been working on this the whole day, and I am not able too get it working. I created all the scripts exactly like in the video, and trying to adapt this tool to your asset, and I keep failing after several ours. I am gonna leave you here a link to the example project, it's actually a folder inside your asset folder, with all the project folders inside, and the scene I used to try this tool, is one of your scenes as well. If your have time and look at it, I will be really thankful, and it would be great to arrive at a solution for this, because it's driving me crazy hehe. I got other things, like the scene changer, working perfectly and looking good, but this I can't figure it out...
    Maybe, if you consider it, you could even add this tool to your asset, I think is a really cool and useful tool that would fit your asset perfectly. Thank you again, let me know what you think! I leave the link to the project example here:

[Edit: do not post paid assets]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2017
  2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I took a look but unless I'm missing something I don't see the scene you created or scripts. The download was very large though so perhaps something went wrong on your upload? Also send those links in email to the support email address. Publicly linking copyrighted material is prohibited.

In regards to following Selziers video exactly that is only going to work for Google cardboard not Gear VR. He uses a lot of Google provided API's and scripts which aren't present in Gear VR. If you send me your scene and scripts attempts I'll be happy to take a look though just do so via email.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    unity_D90EeE4xOIBjPQ likes this.
  3. unity_D90EeE4xOIBjPQ

unity_D90EeE4xOIBjPQ

Hi, sorry about the copyright, I dind't even think about that. I will sent the link by email, apparently the problem is that the project wasn't fully upload before I shutted down the computer. Confirm me via email if you have received it and everything is ok. Thank you!

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

No worries. I was able to download now and sent you a response that should get you unstuck.

Certainly let me know if you have further questions.

5. kuni59

kuni59

the lack of documentation is disapointing. didn't help me at all :/

6. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Thanks for reaching out here and reviewing, I'm always looking to improve the product.

If you already saw the included pdf, let me know what wasn't helpful in it, what sections you'd like to see, etc. Be as specific as you want, it's always hard to gauge what confuses users the most when you've written it yourself, so let me know anything that wasn't clear.

7. kuni59

kuni59

Well, I can see in the exemples that your package is great for what i want to do. The problem is in the pdf you explain what I can do with your asset but nowhere you expains HOW to use it, what functions are availables and what they do. This file is NOT AT ALL a documentation, barely a features presentation. I paid near 40€ for not having to read all sources of OVRInput etc.. And it's the same damn chore to understand how your things works.

I.E. I can't get started at all because you don't explain how to get a basic setup. I paid that price to have things working, not because I wanted to examine exemples and read code for hours.

tldr: write a proper documentation, or make some video tutorial creating a basic scene from scratch.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Dirrogate likes this.
  8. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I can certainly create a video over the next few weeks, and include a getting started section in the documentation. If there is something else you can think of certainly let me know.

9. kuni59

kuni59

Not that I can think of. All I really want is basics tutorials to use your product.
    Sorry if I sounded angry, it's just that's it looks like the perfect thing for GearVR game making and it was a bummer not being able to use it.
    Waiting for some more doc and eventualy some video, let me know when it's done please.

10. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Will do, I'm currently finishing up an improved grab component that is in beta, but after that I'll make a video and update the docs. If I had to guess should take a few weeks.

In the meantime, if you have specific questions I'll certainly answer them here and then be sure to incorporate it in the documents.

As far as a very basic summary, in general the products main component is the EasyInputHelper component. Attach it to an empty gameobject and it is what enables all the events (clicks, double clicks, swipes, etc.) that the other pre coded objects subscribe to.

Other than the one main object above everything else is just what you need. If you need a laser pointer for the gear vr motion controller you'd add one of those to the object your using to represent your hand in game (or use the model that oculus provides). If your game doesn't use the motion controller and just uses the HMD but you wanted to point to things you'd use the gaze pointer instead. If you wanted to grab things you'd use a grab receiver, if you wanted to teleport, you'd use a teleport receiver, etc. These are very much just including the things you need in your game to the objects that you care about in your game.

Each of those components have a lot of options in their inspectors for how you want your laser, or how you want to grab, etc. but that's the basics. Each of the main components is demonstrated in at least one example for reference as well.

I certainly will update the docs and make a getting started video, this is just to tide you over for the few weeks. Feel free to ask anything you want in the meantime.

11. samurai926

samurai926

Hi greggtwep16
    Does easy-input-for-gearvr support the GearVR motion controller with Unity uGUI? I'm specifically looking for a laser-pointer style ability for clicking buttons, moving sliders, drag drop UI panels etc. If yes, is there a sample scene included that demonstrates this?
    Thanks!

12. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Yes it does and yes there as an example that shows a gui that's interactable with the laser pointer for buttons, sliders, checkboxes, etc.

samurai926 likes this.
  13. samurai926

samurai926

Great thank you

greggtwep16 likes this.
  14. samurai926

samurai926

Hi greggtwep16,
    I purchased the asset and am happy so far but I'm consisstantly running into an issue where on my GearVR after a few sample scene changes the Laser Pointer stops showing up. I've also had this happen after a single trigger-click.

When this condition occurs I can get the Laser Pointer to reappear if I hold the primary trigger down or if I rest my thumb on the touch pad. To use this asset I need the Laser Pointer to be reliably active as long as we have an active motion controller.

My specs are:
    - Unity 2017.2.0f3
    - OVR plugin 1.19.0
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (Android v 7.0)
    - GearVR (first gen) with motion controller

I'm hoping I've provided enough detail for you to recreate the behavior but please let me know if I can provide anything further. Any thoughts?

Few things I've tried:
    - Changing battery in controller
    - Replace Combo Pointer with Laser Pointer in MasterExample scene
    - Rebuild project from scratch with nothing but OVR plugin and EzIpForGvr

* EDIT *
    I think I've managed to create an easier way to recreate the problem.
    1 - Load assets mentioned in my specs above
    2 - Uncheck all scenes but GuiNavigationExample in build settings
    3 - Build and run
    4 - Trigger-click around for awhile on controls
    I've run this a handful of times, sometimes the pointer quits after the first trigger-click, sometimes it takes longer.

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  15. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

There seems to be an issue with the latest Oculus Utilities on 2017.2. Locally there seem to be two ways to resolve it for me. Going back to 2017.1 seems to be the most foolprroof, but if you need to use 2017.2 the below workaround worked for me.

https://forums.oculus.com/developer...not-working-as-expected-with-unity-2017-2-0f3

I'd expect that either the next version of Oculus Utilities or Unity will also fix the problem without the workaround, but in the meantime above should fix your issue if you need to use 2017.2

From my troubleshooting it appears that when you hit the trigger the controller doesn't always report as a tracked motion controller anymore. Can't tell if the issue is with Oculus or Unity side, but given that it works on 2017.1, my money would be the issue is with Unity in the latest 2017.2 build.

samurai926 likes this.
  16. samurai926

samurai926

Thank you for the prompt and accurate response, the OVR class edit / workaround also works for me on 2017.2.

17. jk15

jk15

Hi - Does this plugin work with other bluetooth controllers or just the Samsung ones? I've got a 3rd party one I'm trying to use with the Gear VR. Thanks.

18. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

If you mean does it work with normal bluetooth controllers (not motion) on gear vr then yes. There are a few components around button clicks, left and right stick, etc. The majority of the product is around the gear vr motion controller though, so I don't think it's worth $35 if that's all you want to do with it. You could use my free controller tester product on the asset store to retrieve the Unity axis numbers for free if all you want to do is use normal gamepads without spending money.

If instead you meant a 3rd party motion controller (like the daydream controller) then no. Oculus has used non standard pairing so the other motion controllers do not work with Gear VR.

19. jk15

jk15

Thanks for the reply - yeah it is a non-motion controller, I just want to handle the button presses on the controller.

20. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hello! I just purchased this asset and already this is a big timesaver, my "first experiences" were:
    1) the min SDK version suggestion - it suggests to set it to 24, however I have a Samsung S7 which is at 23- seems to work fine when I set it to that
    2) the auto setup was very convenient - It did skip one thing though (not sure if it's impossible programmatically but perhaps point it out in the auto setup UI: while in the project settings it sets the "VR" checkmark, it doesn't select the Oculus option, without which it doesn't work
    3) the FPS controller (my biggest issue) - the overall idea is great, but what was really disorienting (so much so that in fact at first I thought I was moving randomly) was that the direction pad controls your motion in absolute world space (i.e. if you try to go forward, your character currently goes forward in the direction you were first looking at when you spawned). how it should be: when you try to go forward, you should go forward in the direction you are looking at

21. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I'll lower the min sdk, the original min sdk was 19 I believe for gear vr but it's evolved a bit since then. I'll try and track down what the minsdk that will allow all the features to work and change it to that.

2. This is already in the latest beta and should be on the store in a few weeks. If you want it early send your invoice number to our support email address from the asset store page and I'll send it to you early.

3. This is by design but I should probably put the pointer example's "look dpad" ahead in the example list so people see that first. That control scheme seems to be gaining popularity on mobile VR. In general the tradeoffs between the two are as follows the dpad is the difference

FPS example-
    This scheme allows total freedom even in a static chair. The long presses of the pad and trigger turn the body (speed can be adjusted in the inspector if it's a bit uncomfortable). Strafing in a direction different than the head is possible (which is what you've described if you turned your head but not the body). This scheme is most similar to non VR FPS.

Look Dpad (pointer example)-
    This scheme really requires either a carefully laid out level design that keeps moving forward, or requires the user to have a swivel chair (so you can easily turn around and move backward). Movement always must align to the head so there is not concept of a body here which means your hands follow the head where in reality this isn't the case.

I think what your implicitly looking for is in the pointer example, but if you meant something else let me know.

22. GridSky

GridSky

Hi. I recently purchased the product. I am using Unity 2017.2 and Gear VR with controller.

I got the laser pointer to work and I am able to click UI elements. But, I would like to toggle the laser pointer on/off some how.. I have a game object under the camera with the laser, and I tried to SetActive(true/false) on the game object, but it does not toggle the laser on/off. How do I turn the laser on and off?

Further, I was thinking of using the Trigger-button to toggle the laser on/off, and use touch-pad click to click UI elements. Is it possible for me to change this somehow so that touch-pad click are what clicks UI elements?

Alternatively, I was thinking of using the Back-button to toggle the laser on/off, but
    OVRInput.GetDown(OVRInput.Button.Back) does not seam to work. Any thoughts?

23. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I can certainly add these to the laser. A couple of questions

When the laser is off do you still want the reticle or do you want both toggled. Do you want the interaction to stop when you turn it off as well? Should all of these options be independent or grouped together?

As far as the back button goes my components and the callbacks do respond to it. The back button does have the long press reserved by the system but the short presses are there to use. I haven't read through the full publishing docs though there might be some stuff on what you are/aren't allowed to do to not get rejected they might have something specific in mind for in app uses.

Let me know the specific answers and I'll start work on getting those additional features for the laser pointer.

24. GridSky

GridSky

Yes, I need laser, reticle and interaction to stop. The UX will be that the laser pointer is turned on/off.

I will try some things for the Back-button.

25. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

1) Can work for UI slider?
    2) Can work with playmaker?

26. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

-Yup!

Thanks Greg for your quick reply!
    In my continued use and experimentation I noticed the following:

1) If I open the MasterExample scene, the example scenes are added to the build settings and override any previously added scenes - while well intentioned, this initially caused me a lot of confusion/re-building, since it would keep reappearing ( for example, I would add the scenes from my game to the build settings, tinker around a bit, revisit the examples, build - and wow, the example scenes show instead of the scenes from my game) - the fix was easy though - all I had to do was to comment out the contents of addOtherExamplesToBuildSettings() in CreateAxesEditor.cs.

2) a more "real" issue I'm having when adapting my game for VR - GuiNavigationExample works fine and I was able to add everything to my scene, however, it seems that if a Canvas is loaded from resources as part of a perfab ( in my case, the level select screen consists of "zones",each of which is a gameObject with some graphics (mountains, cities) and a Canvas with the buttons for level selection) which are loaded from resources, the canvas becomes non-responsive ( the "Reticle" sphere thing doesn't detect it, buttons can't be pressed) - the same Canvas works fine if I just put it there in the Scene

27. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Good to know, I'll add this to the laser pointer.

28. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

As Yuri mentioned yes it will work with UI slider.

As far as Playmaker goes not officially. Most of my components are designed to be fully featured without needing to code, but they don't plugin to Playmaker state machines.

Unofficially, I have made a low level Playmaker script so that you can add basic checks for the buttons, rotation of the remote, etc. from within a Playmaker FSM. That being said I don't have Playmaker and was relying on a user to test and after a few exchanges they stopped responding so I don't know if this meant it was working, or if they dropped the project. It's a pretty low level script just for if you need to plugin stuff to an existing FSM. The bigger chunks of functionality like grabbing you'd have to use my components (no coding needed it just doesn't use playmaker).

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

29. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Hi Yuri answers below.

1. I had changed this to a non destructive add awhile back but this beta cycle and additional features has lasted a lot longer than I expected (I'm going to make a hard push to submit this weekend). In that version it will no longer remove user scenes. It will add the examples at the top but that way it's just a quick delete and the user scenes are all still there in order.

2. The way the graphics raycaster works in my product, is that a UIcamera is created at runtime and used for the interaction. It was created at runtime and added to all canvases at runtime so that users usually didn't need to worry about those details.

If you had one or more runtime canvases basically the UIcamera needs to get added to it's event camera. This could either be done via script on the prefab, or if you want to do this in editor for the prefab you'll want to create a camera in your scene with the same name and settings as in the Start() method of the input module and then you should be able to drag it into your prefabs (if you do this ensure it's the event camera on all your canvases in the scene and also to remove the generation logic in start of the input module)

30. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

thanks for answer

greggtwep16 likes this.
  31. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Thanks Greg! Yup, that solved the canvas issue - to anyone else wondering just do:

_canvas.worldCamera = GameObject.Find("UI Camera").GetComponent<Camera>();

( where _canvas is the Canvas Component in the gameObject you loaded from Resources )

- previously, I was already doing something similar but assigning my existing camera instead of thew new "VR" one, hence it didn't work

greggtwep16 likes this.
  32. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi Greg! New question! I am using StandardComboPointer with the UnityUI and I noticed that if I accidentally put my finger on the DPad, the "Reticle"(sphere) will become "stuck" ( I can rotate the actual controller+lazer, but the "Reticle"(sphere) stays on some previous part of the UI until I release the DPad ( initially, I didn't even realize it was because I was touching the DPad and thought it was random) - any way to solve this?

33. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

When you say dpad do you mean on the HMD or the gear vr controller? The combo pointer as the name suggests does both based on what you've hit last (similar to oculus home). So if you hit the dpad on the HMD your reticle will actually follow the HMD not the gear vr controller, until you did some action on the gear vr controller again. It's a way to basically cater to both audiences unlike the laser pointer or the gaze pointer which is exclusively one or the other.

Certainly let me know if you meant the dpad on the controller.

34. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi Greg!
    - Yes, the gear VR Controller (wand)
    I just spent a looot of time trying to understand the issue and I think I have it narrowed down - I've attached screenshots of my scene of a test case that demonstrates the issue:
    I have a single Canvas on the scene and 2 buttons directly inside the Canvas - a large one further a way and a smaller one closer to the camera (all the positions/settings are in the screenshot) - the button which is far away works perfectly, however for the closer smaller button, if you point at it, swipe and hold the DPAD on the gearVR controller, the reticle will remain in place until you release the DPAD

(Apart from this weird DPAD issue, the buttons work/are clickable)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  35. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Thanks for the detailed description. I tried recreating on the examples that have Unity GUI's in them but I was unable to reproduce (pretty sure I followed your instructions correctly). Any chance you could zip it up and send it my way to our support email address so I can step through the problem button in visual studio and try and figure out what is happening?

36. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I've added the laser turn on/off functionality to the latest beta. I'm still working on documentation and other things so it will be a few days before it's submitted, but if you wanted it early email our support email address on the assets store page with your invoice number and I can email it you early.

37. GridSky

GridSky

Great. We can wait a few days.

greggtwep16 likes this.
  38. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi Greg! I was able to resolve my issue by simple taking the gui example scene, making it a single prefab, putting everything in my scene ( take all the gameObjects out though so they are back in root) and transfer all the UI into the new canvas and delete the old Canvas. I'm still not sure what the issue was exactly, but I think it was due to the scale/position of the Canvas/UI

Other than that, I am finding this asset very easy to use and a great timesaver! I'm sure in a few projects it will become very quick for me to do everything

39. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Well I'm glad you fixed it, if you encounter it again certainly send it my way and I can take a look. I doubt position would be an issue. Scale is unlikely, but perhaps possible. I ran through quite a few tests and couldn't get it to reproduce.

40. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hello Greg! New question - is there some quick way to check if the gear vr controller is currently active/in use?

41. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Depends on what you mean. If you want which was touched last then use EasyInputHelper.touchDevice . This is used in things like the combo pointer where you might want to switch from a laser pointer to a gaze pointer. So if you've used HMD pad last it will report HMD if not it will report the controller. For identifying users that only have the HMD this is fine since it will never report the controller and also for most switching this is fine.

The only exception is if the controller loses battery midway through and you haven't touched the HMD dpad. The SDK seems to report there is still a tracked remote, so in these cases I usually also check what the Gear VR controller's position is as well. If it reports Vector3.zero then we lost tracking for some reason (usually the battery).

Hope that helps.

42. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

yup, that did the trick! ( the review team required that if the app requires the motion controller, it should display a message to connect/use it if you aren't currently using it), to anyone else who might run into this, the code is quite simple - just create a UI notification panel that says to connect the controller and attach this:

Code (csharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using EasyInputVR.Core;
    7. public class NotificationWindowGearVRController : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     EasyInputConstants.TOUCH_DEVICE currentDevice;
    10.     public static bool DetectedGearVRController = false;
    11.     // Use this for initialization
    12.     void Start ()
    13.     {
    15.     }
    17.     // Update is called once per frame
    18.     void Update ()
    19.     {
    20.         currentDevice = EasyInputHelper.touchDevice;
    21.         if (currentDevice == EasyInputConstants.TOUCH_DEVICE.MotionController)
    22.         {
    23.             DetectedGearVRController = true;
    24.             gameObject.SetActive(false);
    25.         }
    26.     }
    27. }

43. GridSky

GridSky

There seams to be a problem with the StandardComboPointer reticle when the laser pointer is used inside a moving object, like e.g. a spaceship cockpit, and pointing on a UI canvas. It looks like the reticle position is one frame behind.

I looked through your implementation and it looks like the processing of motion controller data is too late. I tried to add a call to ProcessMotionController() in EasyInputModule.setUIRay(..), and that solved the problem.

It would be great if you could look at it and fix it in the official package.

44. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Can do thanks for reporting this!

45. GridSky

GridSky

I have tested the latest changes for toggling the laser on/off. It works great! Good job!

It would be nice if you could also add isLaserOn():bool to check if the laser is on or off. I have added it myself, so it is not urgent for me, but it would be great if it could be in the official package.

greggtwep16 likes this.
  46. davemart30

davemart30

Hey guys....

I found the documentation a little lacking as well, and spent some time analyzing the code, inspector and what what was provided in the pdf, then expanded it a little. It's still not complete documentation, I only add as I need to figure out something new or troubleshoot, but you're welcome to have a look at see if it helps a little and Greg, would be happy for you to take the file and build on what I've added.

Attached Files:

greggtwep16 likes this.
  47. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Wow! Thanks for this! The update that I submitted last week (still pending review) has updated documentation but it's always helpful to have another pair of eyes and perspective. I'll certainly incorporate parts of this in the official docs.

I'm also still working on getting a youtube video up on the web.

48. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

The documentation has now been updated. I'm sure some things could still be better (they always can be) but it should be a start. Certainly open to any additional feedback especially negative and I'll try to get it added to the docs.

Documentation

49. michael554466OG

michael554466OG

Hi, I realy wanna use the samsung gear vr controller with windows, If your pack can provide that, I'm having it! if not, is it poaaible? thanks!

50. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Unfortunately, Samsung and Oculus didn't use standard pairing on the Gear VR controller (same with Google and the daydream controller). There is no way to get the gear vr controller running on PC without reverse engineering just what they are doing with custom pairing, what their protocol is, and emulating that within an app. That's quite a lot of work and I've seen a few people get about halfway on daydream, but no one on the Gear VR side. Oculus itself seems to have no interest in this either even for the editor, so I don't think it's going to happen.

I've provided a way to emulate the controller with mouse and keyboard but I can't see the actual controller being able to connect to a PC whether in Unity or not. It's unfortunate and I wish they wouldn't try to close off the ecosystem.