Search Unity

Easy Input for Gear VR and Oculus Go [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by greggtwep16, May 2, 2017.

1. AJS654321

AJS654321

hi, ive given up trying to get this to work in a new unity scene

so, im just going to import my assets to your pointerexample scene,

how do i turn off the laser and gaze and just have the get just the curved pointer example working please? thanks

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I'm sorry you gave up on your own scene, if you ever want to pursue that route you can certainly zip up what you have and send it to me.

If you are basing it on the pointer example, you'd want to remove the other two lasers, enable the curved laser on scene start (it was disabled at the beginning in the example), and remove the UI that does the switching entirely.

3. AJS654321

AJS654321

hi, thanks for that ill pm you a link to the file in my onedrive and you can have a look to see what im doing wrong, its probably something simple

in the meantime ill just use the pointer example with the curved laser which is perfect for my needs

thanks again for your patience, cheers

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Took a look at your project. The main thing that was causing your brief teleport and then snap back was that you didn't have a height offset on the teleport receiver. The pivot point is the center of the capsule so when you'd teleport you'd do so fused in the middle of the floor which isn't valid so it would snap back. There were a couple of other issues as well that didn't prevent it from working but aren't that useful (you had the laser attached to the body instead of the hand, etc.).

If you correct these one by one your scene does work, but since it's essentially just a clone and you are already moving forward with the pointer scene, I'd just do that since it's quicker.

5. AJS654321

AJS654321

thanks, yes ive got it all working and with pressing the trigger in my scene now, many thanks, ive been looking for a solution like this for months now, cheers dude

6. arturmandas

arturmandas

I want to user GearVR controller to control the input of a Windows application. Will that help?

7. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

No, the gear VR and go controller use a custom pairing protocol that isn't standard. So pairing to PC isn't possible without reverse engineering the Oculus app.

8. eovento

eovento

I would love to have control over things... specially height and position of player capsule and camera. Why does it change when we hit Play? It would be so easier if I could place everything where it needs to be and then it just stays there...

Why "click receivers" have "hover" functions every where? "To click" and "to hover" are different verbs, and so confusing when put this way.

Actually, there are so many things to improve already that I lost even my will to seek for help here, as nothing ever changed along time.

Controllers are soooooo outdated. They were already outdated when I purchased this asset more than one year ago. But you were always present here (which is awesome), and I left you an amazing 5-star review in past as I truly believed you would frequently improve your asset as you are so present here...
    But, truth is (unfortunately to every one), you simply does not. Never. Last update was February 2018. And I will edit my review as I consider it deprecated and not fair to be marketed anymore. I recommended your asset to another dev in my company who also bought it in past, but I don't see myself recommending it to anyone anymore. Which is a real pity, as there is a huge lack in assets for Oculus Go, and you are a fine and helping dev - but probably completely out of time for this asset any longer.

9. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Sorry you feel that way. Answers to your questions below. If the answers don't help I'd gladly issue a refund, simply email me your invoice number. In any case certainly write any review you believe to be honest.

1. Position capsule camera- is this in one of the examples or in your own scene? In general the only reason to move upon play is if it's either it's initial position is colliding with an object or if it's off the ground and gravity brings it down.

2. There are two different components the standard hover reciever and standard hover click receiver (implying the combination). The hover one was first but many people requested the second for pointing the laser at objects and then clicking to interact.

10. outpost31d

outpost31d

Hi I recently purchased your asset, pretty amazing. I have an Oculus Go and I have a house model which I would like to pull apart with the grab receiver. I add that component to my pieces but in my Go I cannot not grab anything? Any suggestions? Thanks

11. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I assume the pieces are seperate meshes with their own colliders on them?

If so then check the following.
    1. Ensure the pointer you're using in the inspector has physics raycasts checked and that the physics layers you are checking against match what the objects are on
    2. Ensure the pieces are within the distance you have set on the pointer.
    3. Ensure the pieces you want to grab have a grab receiver on them as well as a collider.

You can also reference the pointer example for a tangible project with grabbing in it.

12. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

I would like to use your asset with the OVRCameraRig or at least with OVRManager. I have a project for Go and Quest where I swap out camera rigs and disable your input when publishing to Quest and then swap back for Go. I do not have Oculus Utilities installed since it is outdated and I am using the latest Oculus Integration in order to support all of my Quest functionality. The EasyInputHelper appears to not be instantiating OVRManager since Utilities is not installed. There is a distinct difference in quality and performance between the Go and the Quest that I think using the latest Oculus Integration can resolve to a degree. Can I get the latest update that supports the Oculus Integration package?

I'm sending you an email with my invoice information.

Thanks,
    Vern

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  13. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I've responded to that email and sent you the latest beta.

14. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Thank you!!

15. outpost31d

outpost31d

Great thanks for that! On another not as I am quite new to the GO I have been looking over
    this doc https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-unity-settings-for-mobile-vr/ for optimal settings in VR, is this a good guide as far as the GO is concerned? I am wondering things like the linear vs gamma option?

16. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

It looks like a decent write-up. As far as color space in particular, the go used to have a problem with linear being too dark, but I believe that has been fixed and you can go with either now, whatever suits your game best.

17. eovento

eovento

Good morning,

First of all, I love this asset and appreciate how helpful the developer is here since forever.
    But I must confess it frustrates me to see so many people receiving "betas", "updated" versions, "fixed this version", "fixed that version" and the last update on the Asset store being 1 year and a half ago.

It also frustrates me that I (and others) have pointed it out throughout the time, and nothing ever changed.
    I don't have the time to scroll through all pages here, read all posts, and ask for "this and this" feature that you might have already worked on. And the only thing I have asked over one year or more never happened: a simple way to walk in direction to where the controller is pointing, and not where I am looking at.

For you to have an idea of how important it was to my project, I purchased the 150 dollar Easy VR asset just because of this. And Easy VR asset is a horrible asset compared to yours. Even amateur I would say. But they do update it. And just because of this I started using it more with time.

As hope never dies, and I love your work and would like to go back to your asset, is there any chance of an update soon?

Thanks, and wish a great day to everyone!

tomekkie2 likes this.
  18. vikas_unity148

vikas_unity148

Hi, I was working on Easy Input for Gear VR for my oculus application

when the reticle hover on UI button highlighting color is showing up

when I build the application into Oculus even though I hover reticle on button highlight color not showing up

Please help me out

19. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Can you post a screenshot of your laser pointer settings in the inspector along with the distance between the player and the UI you are trying to hover over?

20. vikas_unity148

vikas_unity148

can you please tell me on what Game object should I add "Standard combo Pointer" script right now I added on "OVR Camera Rig"

Attached Files:

21. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

On the Gear VR/Go the OVR Camera Rig is a bit overkill. You can use it if you want, but you should remove the OVR scripts from it as they will conflict with Easy Input which already has some of these components. This is likely why it's not working on device because in editior the OVR scripts aren't active.

In general the only real objects that are needed are the "head" and a single "hand". If your character will also move around then a "body" is also helpful to be the parent of the other two. Having multiple hands and other objects make sense on PC VR where you have more controllers and 6DOF but not so much on Gear VR/Go. They don't hurt anything but they don't really mean anything in the game. When you remove the OVR scripts from the OVR rig it should work.

Any of the 8 examples provided should give you a better idea for the rigs I used.

22. vikas_unity148

vikas_unity148

Ok Thanks, I removed Standard Combo Point from OVR camera Rig and added on CenterEyeAnchor
    I'll check and let you know whether its working or not :)

23. vikas_unity148

vikas_unity148

I removed Standard Combo Point from OVR camera Rig and added on CenterEyeAnchor
    Still, Pointer hover events not working when pointer on button highlight color not showing up

24. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Can you verify that the examples work on your device (say the pointer example). Also can you verify that they're aren't any OVR scripts left in your scene?

25. eovento

eovento

Hello everyone :)

I have configured a few CustomButtonClickController on different objects and I have realized they still work even if the object itself is not active. Why is that? I need it to work together with these specific objects while they are enabled only. I thought about a temporary solution by making the component enabled/disabled once I make the object itself active/inactive, but I don't know how to get your components, I probably need to use specific working spaces.

Any help, would be great! :)
    Thanks in advance!

26. eovento

eovento

I'm sorry, the first part was completely my mistake. Took the whole day trying to understand what was going on, and it was 5 minutes after I wrote you that I found the problem. :p

I would still be interested in knowing how to get your components by script and maybe make few alterations on them based on specific needs.

Thank you, and wish all a great day,
    Daniel

27. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Can you elaborate on "get your components by script"? It kind of implies at runtime so for instance lets say laser pointer. You can certainly change all of the inspector exposed parameters at runtime (color, distance, etc.) from another script, but I suspect you mean more than just that.

What alterations do you need and I'd be happy to either make them if common or point you in the right direction if custom to your game.

28. emilkirichev

emilkirichev

Hi, I've been using this asset for quite some time and I'm loving it.
    I have a question about something that poped-up lately: post processing. Is it possible? I enable PP for my main camera and add a simple effect (vignette). In editor all works as expected, but when I build and run on a device (oculus go) it is all messed up: one of the eyes kinda has something on it that is hard to say what, the other one has no effect. Any tips?

Thanks.

29. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

This isn't specific to my asset but in general post processing on any mobile VR platform (go, quest, etc.) doesn't really work from a practical perspective. It isn't so much the effects in general rather how much processing time these take with the combination of a mobile processor and VR high resolutions times two eyes. Even the simple effects will generally take up 50% of the budget with no game going on which is too high to be practical. If you look close at games like Superhot which you would swear has bloom you can tell that they are faking it.

Easy Input doesn't do anything render wise so it doesn't hurt or help the situation. I haven't looked through the asset store in awhile so perhaps somebody has built a tool to try and fake most of these effects for Mobile VR to the best of their ability but off the top of my head I'm not aware of one.

30. emilkirichev

emilkirichev

Thanks for the answer. Yeah I haven't been able to verify how much taxing it would be on the device since it does not run :). I guess PP really should not be used. My question was more in the line of, to which camera(s) do I need to assign PP in order to work at all.

31. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Most of my examples use just on main camera set to both eyes. You'd set your effects for that one. Some default Unity PP doesn't work in mobile VR some does, I haven't really kept up with which ones since it's basically a nonstarter for performance reasons.

32. milotimbol

milotimbol

Hi I upgraded to the most recent version of Unity. Before when I hover over the buttons the round thing at the end of the pointer would show up on top of the buttons, now its behind all of them. I did not change anything other than the unity process of migrating to new version of the editor. Is this just a setting I need to tweak somewhere?

Capture.PNG

33. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Not it shouldn't be a setting. Is the collider on the UI still there after the upgrade? In general from that photo it looks like it's still there just the collision isn't happening.

If the collider is still there can you send me a screenshot for the inspector of the pointer and the UI.

34. jons190

jons190

Interesting. Much of what is in the OVR manager, is needed to pass the Oculus store check... Just an FYI...

35. jons190

jons190

what sort of "free walking" does this asset have? I can't find much reference to anything. I'm looking for a free walking solution for the Go controller. Not teleport. Cheers!

36. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

OVRManager is still there it's just added by my product automatically when running on device. Basically this is done so that you can emulate the controls in editor (meaning no OVRManager) and then on device OVRManager is present.

If you look at the prefab that Oculus provides, it's essentially just a collection of gameobjects for head, hands, etc. and then have that script on one of the gameobjects. In either rig's case that script is present.

37. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

The Go doesn't have 6DOF so it's obviously not real world walking. Inside of the product you can walk by two different schemes on the dpad. One where it walks in the direction you are looking which is common for VR games. The other where it's more like a typical FPS on PC (not as common in VR since you need a strong stomach to strafe or other actions that might be common on PC but in VR cause nausea in some people).

38. jons190

jons190

Hey sounds good. I purchased yesterday and am going through it and experimenting. I don't suppose any of your betas have gaze auto walk. (where you look, you walk towards and the player controller turns to align with where you walk and the Go /gearvr controller acts as a joy stick for front back and side step motion) this is actually the locomotion system I am looking for...

Cheers mate!

39. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

It's called look dpad and it's in the pointer example.

jons190 likes this.
  40. jons190

jons190

I think I am after a slightly different version of this.
    A fps type controller but instead of the dpad, I want the Go/Gearvr controller to act like a flight stick, so if you tilt the controller forward, you go forward, if you tilt the controller back, you go backward, side to side, maybe strafe. and where you look, you will orientate too and move that way.

Similar to this, but only with a go/gearvr controller....

41. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Ah, send an email to our support email address on the asset store page with your invoice. I can then send you a beta that believe has a control you are looking for.

42. jons190

jons190

Right on! Also, for anyone interested. I'm using unity 2018.4 LTS and Oculus 1.38 and this asset seem to work. There are a few issues with some gaze examples (I think the layering is wrong somehow) but the movement examples all seem to work fine. Cheers!

43. Ew0k

Ew0k

Hi guys, starting a new Oculus Go project. My last project I completed earlier this year for Go and have since been developing 2D games for Android.
    Coming back to start a new VR project for Go, I can't seem to get a game to load on Oculus Go, these are the steps I've followed:

1. Create new game with Unity 2019.2.9f1
    2. Switch to Android build
    3. Import Oculus Utilities 1.38 (apparently most guys say this is the best last stable version)
    4. Import Easy Input package
    5. Enable Oculus in XR settings
    6. Loaded the Master sample scene with all scenes added to the build settings
    7. Built APK and used ADB to install to Oculus Go
    8. Launched on Oculus Go but all I see is black, and the Oculus Go hangs, I have to force restart the Go

Can anyone recommend the steps they use to set up an Oculus GO project with Easy Input VR? Also what version of Unity and Oculus Utilities do u recommend? Maybe it's just been so long that I've forgotten to do something to make it work right?

Thanks guys.
    Ew0k

44. FranknSon

FranknSon

Hey, guys wanted to thank you for a very nice product that we currently use on our first VR FP game coming out on Xmas Even in the Oculus Storen(for the Oculus Go). You can see a Trailer at https://monstersatthegate.com
    We are still using an older Unity 2018.2 since we started with Unet (we plan to move away in 2020 to other networking API) but we can't use the current Oculus Integrator (get parm errors etc). Also, we plan on moving on to the Quest and was wondering if your product will work (we may go native SDK). Any new version?

45. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I believe you also sent me an email which I replied to, but are there any errors in the console or is it just a blank screen like mentioned above? I haven't had any issues on any of the newer Unity versions.

46. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

The product functions on the quest but it is a 3DOF product not 6DOF. Things like the laser pointers don't matter much and are interchangeable but everything else doesn't make much sense using on a 6DOF device like the quest. So the short answer is it functions on the Quest but isn't that useful.

47. Ew0k

Ew0k

Hey Greg, yup that was me. It's all working OK now thanks for your help. I am using Unity 2018.4 with Oculus Integration for Unity 1.43 and it works fine now. I have already started development on my new project for Go. Thanks again for your help and this great product. Any plans to do something similar for Quest in the future?

48. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

The product functions on the Quest, but it's a 3 DOF product so it doesn't make a lot of sense to use it on the Quest other than maybe the laser pointer. I don't have any plans currently to redo the product for a 6 DOF environment. While I haven't used it most people tend to use VRTK for things in a 6 DOF world.

49. Ew0k

Ew0k

Awesome thanks for the quick reply

50. jons190

jons190

Hey. Ping me if this is still an issue. I do mobile vr and have almos the same setup and I can get it to run. I just got my fpcontroller to gaze/dpad move and it builds to the device fine. Maybe I can help. Cheers mate!