Search Unity

Easy Decal - Decals everywhere

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sycoforge, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, this a known Unity bug. We have reported this to Unity some months ago. The bug has been confirmed by Unity, but they have then marked it as "Won't fix" because they think this is a minor issue. https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...sults-in-errors-and-glitched-inspector-window

As a workaround (as already suggested by you), you can disable the rendering of the material editor in the project settings under the "Easy Decal" tab. This removes the Unity UI bug, but also the in-component material inspector.

2. damagefilter

damagefilter

Thanks for the quick reply!

I see, how it is. Mildly disappointing, especially since that appears to be a minor, yet long standing issue.
    Oh well.

Another thing, I tried today to get hold of the source code as I would like to silence the warnings about non-readable meshes. As, for my purposes, I'm very okay with that and don't want all meshes to be readable. The logs slow down the Editor massively though.
    However, most links after the account registration on the website seem to lead me to 404 pages.
    Any hints on that? :)

3. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The auto-invoice-checking on our website is out of order. Just drop us a message (forum, mail, ..) containing your invoice number, and we'll drop you a voucher code to access the additional download on the website. :)

4. y_karpenko

y_karpenko

Hi,
    I have some questions about this decals - Can I use this decal with static lighting? Should I place lightprobes on my scene or decals can use baked lightmaps? Is it supports static shadomasks or directional lightmaps?

5. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Once converted to a mesh, you can use static or sampled light intensities.
    Edit: Don't hesitate to download the evaluation version from our website.

6. y_karpenko

y_karpenko

Thank you!

7. viktorkadza

viktorkadza

is it way to get shadows on ED vertexAlpaha shaders?
    upload_2020-6-11_1-2-13.png

8. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

When on the Standard renderer, shadows can only be rendered when using an alpha clip/cutout/cutoff shader.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Important Note
    Recently, we have received some support emails with invalid respond email addresses which make it impossible for us to answer. For the case that you haven't heard something from us within 48h, please drop us a message in the forum here or on Discord.

10. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

It would be really wonderful if there was an actual tutorial somewhere that walked a user through the use of this asset. The scant information in the documentation assumes far too much.

11. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Hi there,
    Thanks for connecting. Maybe the "start from scratch" video could be of help for you:

If this doesn't help much in getting you started, we could arrange a 10-minute-remote-assistant session with one of our engineers to kickstart things on your side. Just let us know! :)

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  12. Higashibashi

Higashibashi

Hey I just got this and I think it should be working but having a small issue.
    I get this error message when trying to add a decal using the steps in the document. Currently Using URP the latest version. Something about no Decal Root found but in the hierarchy a Decal Root is automatically created when I add the Easy Decal script to my GameEmpty.
    Help appreciated!
    upload_2020-7-18_23-32-12.png

13. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Hi there!
    This message just informs about the automatically created game object used by the decal system. You can safely ignore this message. :)

14. Higashibashi

Higashibashi

Hey thanks for getting back quickly. I should have also added that the decal also doesn't display in the 3D view.
    I tested it on a brand new project and it does indeed work and also no error message. So I can't work out why it won't work in my project.

Seen here
    upload_2020-7-19_0-26-20.png

15. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The Plane projector requires a collider on the receiving mesh. Can you quickly check whether this is the case in your production scene?

16. Higashibashi

Higashibashi

Yes I just added a collider just as I read your message and it works!

We are making a VR project so I'm keen to see how this all works in the end.

17. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Please keep us updated! :) Don't forget to bake the mesh decals once placed!

18. Hananon

Hananon

Hi, thinking of getting this asset when I got budget, had little question.

I'm using Unity 2019.4 + URP and currently my project need decal solution (that's not fully shader based) to show skill range & targeting on top of specific layers, mostly will be terrain but might also be mesh. It's not gonna be static/baked. It will be moving around and also scaled/animated on runtime whenever player using skills and do targeting. This effect will be shown on two type of cameras: perspective as main, orthographic as minimap.

Question: Does this asset could help me do that with reasonable performance?

Example of skill targeting at minute 3 (I'm still not using decal & terrain in that video)

Thanks!

19. pabsmultiplayer

pabsmultiplayer

upload_2020-7-20_4-5-50.png
    Any idea what this error means?
    The mesh has a collider, but seems this Box Decal doesntt want to work (I only able to work Plane Decals)

20. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

For this kind of use case, it's recommended using the new screen space decal projector for URP. They are made to perform very good in real time applications. For the aim visual at 3:00, I would use a decal on the ground and centered and offsetted (in world y-direction) meshes for the rings above.

Please feel free to download the evaluation version!

21. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Either the mesh is not readable (import settings) or the mesh is corrupted or non-complete in some ways. You can send us the mesh, so that we can check this on our side.

22. pabsmultiplayer

pabsmultiplayer

23. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The mesh seems fine and it works on our side. I suppose that the game object has no collider (or isn't a child of a hierarchy that has a collider) and thus can not be detected by the decal. There is an option to search the whole scene for possible projection targets, but this is only recommend in rare case where the decals get placed at design time and the scene is small.

upload_2020-7-20_11-22-49.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  24. pabsmultiplayer

pabsmultiplayer

mm....thanks for reply!
    I will have a look to see what happens.

25. pabsmultiplayer

pabsmultiplayer

upload_2020-7-22_3-10-15.png

upload_2020-7-22_3-33-9.png

any idea why the Atlas Editor seems to not work to me?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  26. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

It seems that something prevented the window instance to successfully initialize the Canva object in OnEnable(). Did you receive some other message/exception prior this to pinpoint the issue?

27. pabsmultiplayer

pabsmultiplayer

These are the only messages I've got...
    upload_2020-7-22_9-58-32.png

I'm using Unity 2019.3.14f1
    The plugin support this version?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  28. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

It's fully supported in 2019.x. Did you accidentally delete the "Editor Default Resources"? It seems that the window can not render the canvas because the canvas shaders are missing. Please check if there is the following folder in your project:

Assets\Editor Default Resources\nu Assets\Shared\Shaders

it should contain 5 shaders and a *.cginc file.

29. pabsmultiplayer

pabsmultiplayer

Fixed.

Thanks!!

30. Higashibashi

Higashibashi

Hey Everything is working I think as it should but I noticed I can't use any Easy Decal shader other than the basic Alpha Blend seen here. upload_2020-7-23_17-23-27.png

I'm trying add some reflective puddle decals but no shader with a smoothness seems to work. It is either pink or doesn't display anything no matter the texture or slider movement on the smoothness.

Is this the only shader capable of adding smoothness to a decal? upload_2020-7-23_17-27-20.png

Currently using URP latest official build.

As always help much appreciated.

Attached Files:

31. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Easy Decal when downloaded via the package manager cites 1.6.8B from June 2018 as the latest version. On the store webpage you have a June 2020 update.

Now with the release of 2020.1 I literally cannot download that newer content because of the Store getting punted out of the Unity Editor... and the web interface just points to the Package Manager. Is this just a matter of publishing a package with the new stuff? Or is the content mislabeled in the PM?

32. LumeStudio

LumeStudio

-

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  33. sas67uss

sas67uss

Hi is this asset optimized with batching technique?
    I wanna creating shooter mobile game and my questions are : is this asset support static or dynamic batching decals in runtime ? for example how many draw call will spend for such 100 bullet decal ?

34. LumeStudio

LumeStudio

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  35. 13E12K

13E12K

Hey,

I am trying to achieve a basic bullet hole decal with plane technique as below. In editor mode it works great, but at runtime there are some issues. What I am experiencing is that after instantiating with below script, sometimes the decals render fully but sometimes half or quarter of it as in attached screenshot.

It looks to me totally random, since sometimes all hits and decals render but sometimes most of them are rendered incomplete. I am not sure wheter it can be CPU related issue since 52 shots are made in 5 seconds?

I am new to Unity, so I might be missing an obvious thing. Has anyone have an idea why this could happen?

-----------------------------------------------------
    public class DecalTrial : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public GameObject impact;
    public GameObject DecalPrefab;
    public GameObject Target;

void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision)
    {
    ContactPoint contact = collision.contacts[0];
    Vector3 hit = contact.point;
    Vector3 local = contact.normal;
    EasyDecal.ProjectAt(DecalPrefab, Target, hit, -local);
    GameObject impactCopy = Instantiate(impact, hit, Quaternion.LookRotation(local, Vector3.up)) as GameObject;
    }
    }
    upload_2020-8-21_16-3-39.png

upload_2020-8-21_16-12-57.png

36. StenCG

StenCG

Same here. Does anyone know?
    To be clear: I expect to use a proxy in the editor, not in runtime.

Upd.
    Oh, Colliders Only option in Constraints, I missed it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  37. Unplug

Unplug

hello, i'm sure its there somewhere, but can't find it....
    so often all the decal using the atlas mode get wrong scale. If i uncheck "bake" and recheck it, the scale is back to normal and the image look ok but otherwise, when i do I build or play/stop the scale get all wrong again. how to prevent that ???

38. Blomidev

Blomidev

hello!

I'm trying to update from version 1.6.8. I have fully removed easy decal, and am using the package manager to update it. It's been failing every time, with no error message. Is there some specific process I need to follow to update this package?

39. Unplug

Unplug

I have multiple problem. First of all, how is development to make it work with aura 2 ? Apparently you are working on it.

The decal with bake on awake loose scaling and UV get all mess up all the time and doesn't work in build. Only solution is to prebake the asset, this is annoying and time consuming and reduce the flexibility in level design

I often need to increase the offset to avoid artifacts but that's very annoying especially for decal on ground and you look like you are walking through it. What's the best approc9to really make it glue on the surface without any offset

EDIT : after updating to most current version, it still don't work. Now all the new material using anything other than legacy or unlit turn WHITE (all white square). No body seems to monitor, is this another dead asset ?

EDIT 2 : @ThomAThomson i suggest you import in an empty project and copy that folder to your current project. Check your unity version VS minimum requirement too

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  40. RakNet

RakNet

In
    ProjectAt(GameObject decalPrefab, GameObject receiver, Vector3 position, Vector3 normal, float rotation)

rotation doesn't to work. Both times I assigned a rotation of 0, so the slash should have the same orientation as the source image. But in one case it is horizontal, another vertical

upload_2020-10-10_16-0-4.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  41. RakNet

RakNet

Solved it myself, this was a huge headache to figure out. On the bright side, I have a better understanding of Quaternions now

Code (CSharp):
    1. Quaternion GetEasyDecalRotationFix(Vector3 worldNormal, float rotation)
    2.     {
    3.         // Easy decal uses positive Z up and positive Y forward, in violation of Unity's convention of positive Y up and positive Z forward
    4.         Quaternion positiveZUpAndPositiveYForwardFix = Quaternion.LookRotation(Vector3.up, Vector3.forward);
    5.         Vector3 normalLocalSpace = positiveZUpAndPositiveYForwardFix * worldNormal;
    6.         // Rotation 1 positiveY in local space to normal in local space
    7.         Quaternion positiveYLocalToNormalLocal = Quaternion.FromToRotation(Vector3.up, normalLocalSpace);
    8.         // Rotation 2 in local space
    9.         Quaternion rotateAroundPositiveYLocal = Quaternion.AngleAxis(rotation, Vector3.up);
    10.         return positiveZUpAndPositiveYForwardFix * positiveYLocalToNormalLocal * rotateAroundPositiveYLocal;
    11.     }

jRocket likes this.
  42. Giantbean

Giantbean

I recently updated to the latest version and all the decals on the ceiling are only visible if you look down at them. Flipping normal or rotating does nothing? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Changing the material fixed it. Not sure why the Easy Decal/Particles/Alpha Blended worked in the old scene but I had to use a legacy/Alpha Edge Bleed after updating.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  43. amynox

amynox

Hi,

I'm gettings MissingReferenceException error when placing a decal, Only when projection technique is BOX (Changing the same decal from Box to Plane) make the error dissapear :

I'm using Unity 2020.1.10f1 and URP 8.2

Thanks for your help

44. amynox

amynox

And yeah, other error preventing the editor from painting the inspector :

45. amynox

amynox

Hi again,

My game use a top-down camera, my decals (i'm using plane projection) is visible only when the player is really near the decals. When he get away, the decals is being culled. Where i can control at wich distance i want the decals to be culled ?
    PS: Fadout feature on my decal is disabled
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  46. amynox

amynox

It’s seems like this asset is left for dead, just notice that the last time the dev was responding was in July...

47. StenCG

StenCG

How change background in preview? Relevant for white decals

Attached Files:

48. Unplug

Unplug

anyone made it work with aura and other fog effect ?

49. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

This can be changed in the source for now. Head to the AtlasGrid.cs file and comment out "CanvasBase.DrawTransparencyCheckerTexture(checkRect, 1);" and replace it with something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI.DrawTextureWithTexCoords(checkRect, exture2D.blackTexture, Rect.MinMaxRect(0,0,1,1), false);

StenCG likes this.
  50. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The mesh-based decals can have assigned a custom shader and thus should work out the box with Aura. The screen space decals receive Aura support in a future update.