Search Unity

Easy Decal - Decals everywhere

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sycoforge, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ratking

ratking

Can you send me the patch somehow? I'm never sure how fast Unity is with aproving new versions, and I'd need the fix this week. Thanks!

2. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

You can download it from our website here. Just add your invoice number to your account and download the latest versions and various extras.

3. ratking

ratking

Thanks. I downloaded easy_decal_1_6_6_P1_U5-6.unitypackage and unfortunately I still get that very same NullReferenceException.

4. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Seems to be a problem with the backport. I have re-uploaded the patch 1 of version 1.6.6 for Unity 5.6. If something is still not working, please let me know so that I can reopen this issue again. Sorry, the inconveniences.

ratking likes this.
  5. dinosec

dinosec

Sir, I'm working with a gun shooting game, I create a bullet mark when a bullet is fired, and bake it after one frame. everything works fine when no gun shooting, the decal looks great, but, when guns are shooting, lots of decal created at the same time, it kills the performance....each decal creating takes about 3 ms, that's a big price for VR game. is it possible to change the creating stage into different thread so that it will not occupy the main thread? thank you!

6. BitAssembler

BitAssembler

It's maybe better to switch the projection technique to Deferred when spawing a huge amount of decal in a short time frame. Spawing 100 defeered decals require less than 1ms of CPU time. Currently, they produce a little bit of work for the CG, but this will change with the next huge update for the deferred system.

ed_deferred_decals.jpg

7. dinosec

dinosec

Thank you, Sir. but my project is a VR project, I have to use forward rendering...I can't use Deferred...

8. BitAssembler

BitAssembler

I've added threaded geometry cutting to the roadmap. Forward rendering for screen space decals will also be added in a future version. We will also add an ultra-fast quad projector. The quad technique is not the one with the highest quality but comes with an unbeatable performance.

Stormy102 and ratking like this.
  9. castor76

castor76

There was a new version recently, but I was wondering if this bug has been fixed yet?

10. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Hi there! I'm super-excited about the update to Easy Decal, but with updating both to 1.6.7 and 2017.2 (sorry, it's not clear which initiated the problem), I'm getting this editor error:
    I've deleted all nu assets stuff I could find from my project and reinstalled a couple of times. I wondered if downloading the source would help me track down the issue, but I was unclear how to properly install the archive (and whether it included the editor code that seems to be causing the error).

Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  11. Stormy102

Stormy102

It's probably to do with 2017, as afaik they moved their core features into different dlls. My advice is to revert back to 2017.1 until a patch for this drops for EasyDecal.

12. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

I see. Yeah I saw the new patch drop and it said "2017 support" so I assumed it supported the newest, shiniest version of Unity since they both dropped around the same time. Glad I got backups. :)

13. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Nnnnerrrpp. Still happens in 2017.1. Complains when I install the asset (fresh again) that it uses obsolete APIs. Still hoping for a steer from @nu-assets

14. Stormy102

Stormy102

15. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Thanks! Yeah I found that also. I just assumed there was something I was doing wrong since the issue has been around since 2017.1 and the patch was so new (and I didn't seem to experience it before updating to the new patch). Hoping for an update then! (Or editor source I guess)

16. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Not yet. But you can workaround it by manually adding it to your scene's root at (0,0,0).

17. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Stormy102 , @PatrickLipo . Sorry for the late reply. We are currently very busy with of our game project (Arafinn - Return to Nangrim) having an important deadline at december. Unity has introduced several bugs in their API Upgrade, Compile and Link system. We have still two open bug reports concerning these systems. We address these problems with the official release of the sources, but this not optimal because, in the long run, every studio has to deal with exorbitant compile times.

The editor core (shared by all our plugins) is not yet ready for being released to the public (officially), but you can easily decompile the editor sources by using dotPeek because the libs are not obfuscated.

18. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

I'm confused, the new patch claims it supports 2017.1 but with all these errors I can run my game with some inconveniences but I can't open certain EasyDecal editor windows at all. Is my error spew a symptom everyone is experiencing? I've burned a solid day playing around with various versions of Unity and re-importing to deal with this.

19. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Ok I give up, please tell me how the Deferred Decals work because they look like this for me

20. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Argh.. this looks super-bad. What does the deferred decal look like in the demo scene (scene_demo.unity)?

21. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

What errors did you see? We have some pending bug reports with Unity (e.g. the Easy Decal type is unknown at debug time)

22. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

To @LunaTrap @PatrickLipo @Stormy102 @ratking and all others who are having problems introduced since 5.6/2017:
    We are very sorry for all the inconveniences that have been introduced with the last Unity versions. We are working hard together with the Unity guys to solves these issues as fast as possible. As a little compensation, we want to provide you with a free key of a plugin of your choice. Just write us an email containing the name of one of our plugins that you want to have and we'll send you back a free key.

PatrickLipo and Stormy102 like this.
  23. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

It works in the demo, but it also the box projection does not works at all when the geometry gets batched.
    have no idea what is going on.

I'm using Mesh Baker, to merge my geometry, I will test some more and get back to you because it's just not working for me.

24. Stormy102

Stormy102

Don't worry - I blame Unity :rolleyes:
    Also, I'm just hanging around here to offer support to others and to see what common issues are before we buy - but since you're offering, I'll take an EasyDecal key! ;)

25. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Thanks, I appreciate your followup and customer service thus far. It's a good tool and I want to make increase my use of it moving forward!

Stormy102 likes this.
  26. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

I understand you are busy with your game, so I don't need super emergency fix, for now, I can wait a while. as long as you check my problem out sooner or later I'm fine :)

Ok, I think I found a big clue to the problem for box projection, The lookup does not works at all on play when the geometry is combined into one mesh by batching, If I add a collider to the wall on the object that holds the mesh render itself then it works great, both on play&batch but also when editing. But if I have the collider one child down, it works great only on editing, once the game starts to play and geometry is combined by batching then it does not works anymore; If I don't set the wall to static then it still works on play and editing no matter where the collider is as far as I know.

P.S: Will try and take a video showing my finding and the problems itself, Radeon Re-Live is a garbage recorder.

27. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

28. Stormy102

Stormy102

@nu-assets Really enjoying EasyDecal but how do I add textures to an atlas?

29. BitAssembler

BitAssembler

Currently, the atlas editor is just there to specify the differnet UV rects in precomposed atlas. If you have already made some atlasses in Unity's Sprite Editor you can feed them in. Otherwise:
    • Create material
    • Asign precomposed atlas texture to material
    • Create atlas object
    • Open atlas in editor and create UV rects with marquee tool
    There are 100s to-dos on the atals editor project and one of them is native atlas composition out of different textures.

Stormy102 likes this.
  30. Stormy102

Stormy102

Ah that explains why I can't find a dedicated Create Atlas tool within EasyDecal. Thanks for clarifying that - maybe you should mention that in the manual?

31. AcidZack

AcidZack

weird issue, using unity 5.6.f1. Deffered decals do not show up at all, in fact the only decals from the demo prefabs that actually show up are the dirt ones and the graffiti B, but nothing else shows. Sometimes I can get one to show up as a black box in the shape of the projector but thats it, also the ones that do work of them only show up on a few surfaces in my scene. All of them with the same material type, all of them have colliers and all of them are at 1 scale. I am using deffered rendering. not really sure what the issue is.

32. castor76

castor76

I was wondering if deferred decal can somehow be used to implement under water caustics? Animating the caustics by frame animation or scroll animation is fine and seems to be easy to implement, but decals only project one direction at the moment. I "could" possibly simulate this by using multiple decals in say 5 different directions but I wonder how that is going to work out.

I can ofcouse use Unity standard projector to do this, but the beauty of deferred decal is that there is less draw calls because we don't actually redraw every objects affected by the projectors. This can sometimes leads to some huge fps improvements.

33. Stormy102

Stormy102

Afaik deferred decals seem a little unreliable - I'm just sticking with box/plane projection.
    Also @nu-assets @BitAssembler is it possible to implement either automatically switching between skinned mesh and plane depending on what the decal will be rendering on or maybe ensure that box/plane works on both normal meshes and skinned meshes? Just thinking its a little inconvenient... :p Feel free to tell me why and how wrong I am :)

34. Fairennuff

Fairennuff

Hello,

Having an issue with this asset in my project. Its a VR game in Deferred rendering. Using Box projections for pre placed blood decals that the player will have to follow (not being instantiated at runtime). When i place them in the editor I have a few that are wrapping around the sides of buildings. Everything looks good in the editor. When I enter play mode, the decals stop wrapping and are pushed much farther away from the building. I've double checked and the box colliders on buildings are flush with the mesh, so its not a collider issue AFAIK. The distance field is set to 0.001 on all decals. Any thoughts as to what I may be doing wrong?

35. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

@nu-assets Dod you read my post about my problem? I included a video for reference.

36. ooni

ooni

Hi,

I just purchased easy decal, but I'm unable to use it because the scene view goes black whenever I select the EasyDecal gizmo in the scene view. Because of this I'm unable to modify the size or move it around.

I'm using Unity version 2017.1.0p4.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

37. Stormy102

Stormy102

1) Any errors spamming in the console?
    2) Is this a new project or a pre-existing one?
    3) Try updating to Unity 2017.1.1p4 - there was a bug fixed in this patch (or one before) that was affecting EasyDecal

Sycoforge likes this.
  38. LasseWestmark

LasseWestmark

Hi, does your deferred decals need to be lit to show up?

39. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

No. Not anymore. :)

40. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Could you post a screenshot showing the problem?

41. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Many apologies for the late reply. We have been very busy with the Zurich Game Show Convention the last week. But now, we are back on track.

The problem with the static batching and the box projector is that combined/batched mesh isn't accessible anymore at runtime. Same thing applies to the Recursive Lookup directions. The position of the mesh data changes as the combined mesh will be placed in the scene root. For static decals, this is not a problem because they get baked before entering the play mode.

42. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

This sound indeed weird. Do all your decals use the "Easy Decal/SSD/Deferred SSD" shader? We are working on a complete rewrite of the deferred projection core.

43. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

This will, of course, work with deferred decals. But maybe you'll gain some performance when using a static mesh decal with a UV scroll component and a slightly emissive material. I have attached a simple implementation of such a component and a ready to use prefab.

easy_decal_mesh_caustics_1.gif

Attached Files:

44. castor76

castor76

Wow, I will check it out!

45. castor76

castor76

I have tried it to be changed to deferred decal , because I want it to follow the camera. But I have failed to make it work..

Again. I forgot to add decalroot manually..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  46. castor76

castor76

Ok, got it to work somehow, but it doesn't project well on the side of walls etc.. This is exactly the thing I was concerned about.. for caustics to work properly, it needs to project onto 5 planes. like.. uv free (world uv based) projection. :(

47. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Can you send us a simple scene setup of your use case? We will discuss your case in the next meeting. We may find a solution for this.. maybe... :)

48. J_P_

J_P_

Is this suitable for baking decals onto meshes? How would this asset do that?

49. Stormy102

Stormy102

It usually uses raycasts onto colliders to project the mesh of the decal onto the object. However, there are alternatives (at a higher performance cost) to project just onto meshes and static objects. You can control the distance away from the collider the decal is to avoid z-fighting and use custom atlases to reduce draw calls. You can bake decals at runtime and in edit-mode.

50. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

So that means that box projection is no longer usable for dynamic decals only for static ones? Then what do you recommend I do?