Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion [EASY BOOKMARKS]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Euricius, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Euricius

Euricius

How much time do you spend navigating complex Project or Hierarchy structures? Easy Bookmarks significantly speeds up and simplifies the dev process.

Easy Bookmarks designed for efficient project navigation. With this powerful tool, you can easily create and organize bookmarks for:
    • assets
    • scene objects (without scene modifications)
    • dynamically created objects
    • subassets
    • components
    • folders

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I just bought the bookmarks and its really nice!
    If you don't mind I have a few suggestions to make it even better

I would remove the blue color of the text of bookmarks and make it white like the rest of unity. I would only use blue for prefabs, just all the same as in rest of unity.

Next is the gear icon, at this moment it's only used for renaming and delete.
    Renaming and delete is also possible with right click menu, so right now I would remove the gear icon.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 20.14.53.png Add keyboard short cut for deleting. ( Delete key / backspace key )
    and for rename ( Enter Key when item is selected )

suggested.png

Last but not least, I would love to see a grid view with larger icons ( same slider as in project view slide to the left make list view, slide to the right same grid view and more to the right larger icons for grid view )

This will help me see textures I added to bookmarks

( without the folders view of the project window. just the right part of it )

Thanks I hope this feedback is useful

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 20.22.48.png Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 20.22.51.png Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 20.22.56.png

Euricius likes this.
  3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Further testing I found one thing that looks unwanted, when you drag an item from inside the bookmarks and drop it again inside the bookmarks it registers it twice, ( and adds its again when you do it again ) I would make an item appear only one time in the bookmarks window.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 20.50.22.png

I also changed the gear icon for an X ( d_winbtn_win_close_a ) as I will try to assign the delete function to the icon directly.

Euricius likes this.
  4. Euricius

Euricius

Thank you so much for this detailed review and cool suggestions! I will definitely include most of the suggestions in the next update

5. Euricius

Euricius

Nice catch! I'll also fix this in the next update

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks thats awesome!

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And one more thing I found that may be a bit harder to address, when I have hierarchy items stored as bookmarks and I save the scene under a new name ( save as ) then all bookmarks still reference the previous saved scene.

Ideally opening the old or the new scene would still allow the same bookmarks to the reference the hierarchy items depending on which one is open, but then unity allows two scenes to be open at the same time making it even harder.

Euricius likes this.
  8. Euricius

Euricius

Thanks for the testing and suggestions.
    I will think about how to implement this in an understandable way

9. bvonline

bvonline

Regarding the gear icon: in cas there are only a few functions available like renaming and delete, it could be an option to show symbols instead of having to open the right-click-menu. Deleting and item by just "Del" or "Backspace" could keept it easy, yes - that might be a different UI Scheme functionality, maybe it could be set up in the menu to choose the wanted UI.

Note: I wrote you an e-mail regarding the currend developement status.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Euricius likes this.
  10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The gear icon is replaced already, for an x to delete, very easy now.

Euricius likes this.
  11. bvonline

bvonline

You got my mail?

12. Euricius

Euricius

Yes-yes, I will reply soon.
    Thanks for your email (thumbs-up)

13. Euricius

Euricius

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestions. As Lars-Steenhoff already said, gear icon already replaced with X icon and related functionality. This improvement (and bunch of others) will be released in next update soon.

And thanks for your email, I've already answered :)

bvonline and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  14. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

New Easy Bookmarks features and fixes have arrived :)

What's new:
    • Implemented double click to frame bookmarked object in the Scene View and to open bookmarked asset
    • Added possibility to Drag&Drop Component bookmarks from the Bookmark window
    • Implemented button to quick delete bookmark - thanks Lars-Steenhoff and bvonline for suggestion
    • Added keyboard shortcuts to remove bookmarks - thanks Lars-Steenhoff and bvonline for suggestion
    • Fixed duplicate bookmarking on Drag&Drop object from the Bookmark window - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for catched issue
    • Improved bookmark name color - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for suggestion

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great update ! Thanks

Euricius likes this.
  16. bvonline

bvonline

Here are some suggestions as promised after having a look on it (will add more if I see any other things which could be optimized):

Subcategories

For each group, I would prefer additional subcategory headlines, which could be added by mouse rightclick -> Add "Subcategory" or Remove "Subcategory". This would just be a visual headline for the links added to this subcategory by dragging / dropping links in it (below the headline) as usual like dragging / dropping links to different positions. Note: it is not needed to be able to open / close that subcategory, as it might overcomplicate it. But this could be an option to help to just quickly have a better overview of the links (as most users will not have that much space on the monitor), and it could prevent the user to get distracted by too much mixed links. The dropdown icon could be on the right, it could be a triangle showing if the subcategory is opened or not (showing up / down). In general, it should be still possible to have no subcategory headlines.

Locking Links

To lock the complete saved links in the list, I would recommend to add an option to lock all links, so that the "x" to delete the bookmarks disappears. This function could be addet to the Bookmarks tab (right mouse click). This would prevent users from accidentally deleting links they added and also give some little bit more space.

I will get back to you as soon as I have some other recommondations. Overall, it is a great tool and I feel I will use this in any project since now. Thanks!

Euricius likes this.
  17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

If there was undo after deleting with x there would be no risk of accidental deletion

Euricius likes this.
  18. Euricius

Euricius

Thanks for suggestions!

19. Euricius

Euricius

Yes, I plan to implement undo functionality in one of the next updates

20. SirKnightDragoon

SirKnightDragoon

Hi, I find this Asset very interesting. Only one feature is missing to convince me.

Add GridView option instead of list. Without forgetting the preview image.

This is very useful when doing level design.

Lars-Steenhoff and Euricius like this.
  21. Euricius

Euricius

Yeap, this one in my task list for the next update

Thanks for feedback :)

22. SirKnightDragoon

SirKnightDragoon

Nice! So to encourage you, I just bought it ;)

Lars-Steenhoff and Euricius like this.
  23. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

New Easy Bookmarks update is here :)

What's new:
    • Added Grid View + preview of bookmarks - thanks Lars-Steenhoff and SirKnightDragoon for suggestion
    • Fixed Drag & Drop bookmarked components inside prefabs
    Enjoy your workflow :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Amazing update! Thanks for adding the grid view

25. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

Hey-hey Easy Bookmarks update has just arrived:)

What's new:
    • Supported Undo/Redo system for bookmarks and groups - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for suggestion
    • Implemented lock preview size for any bookmarks group - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for suggestion
    • Implemented keyboard navigation through the Bookmarks window:
      • Arrows keys to select any bookmarks
      • Enter key to open selected bookmark
      • F2 key to rename selected bookmark
      • Del/Backspace key to remove selected bookmark
      • Tab key to switch active group
    • Aligned UI components - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for suggestions
    • Implemented option to show/hide single existing group

26. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Awesome update ! Thanks for the continued support!

Euricius likes this.
  28. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

Ease Bookmarks version 0.7.1 Out Now

What's new:
    • Fixed 'fake' set active scene dirty on creating/editing bookmarks
    • Added possibility to select multiple bookmarked objects (hold CTRL button to append selection)

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for another nice update!

OU-dFun likes this.
  30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is multi select bookmark also CONTROL on mac? Or CMD?

I tried CONTROL or CMD or SHIFT but the highlighted objects in the bookmark window still highlight old one.

31. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

It is also CONTROL on mac. But currently this system just appends bookmarked objects to Unity selection and doesn't highlight bookmarks themselves in the Bookmarks window.

I'm still trying to realize how better to visualize this in the window . Because user can select other object/objects outside the window. And in this case I need to lookup this objects in bookmarks which can be not performant in some cases.

32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

When a user select other objects outside the window I would reset the selection to single. You can use the same color of highlighting as the hierarchy

Euricius likes this.
  33. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

Easy Bookmarks update is here

What's new:
    • Added possibility to sort bookmarks by name/creation date/custom - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for suggestion
    • Finalized feature of selecting multiple bookmarked objects: hold CTRL button and click to append selection | Hold SHIFT button when selecting with a keyboard - thanks Lars-Steenhoff for ideas
    • New price: Easy Bookmarks now is now closer to Unity Developers
    Enjoy!

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update, I just tested it and there is one thing I tried to do that did not yet work the way I expected.

I selected multiple scenes in the bookmarks window and dragged them into the hierarchy. It opens only one scene and not all that I selected. I would like it to add all selected scenes into the hierarchy.

And the other thing I noticed is that I cannot yet select multiple when holding shift to select the top and bottom one and it should ideally select all in-between too.

Other than those little ones great update!

Euricius likes this.
  35. Euricius

Euricius

Yeah, nice variant how extend multiselection feature. Added to the tasks list

This task already in my list. At the moment to fast select all the bookmarks you can select first one, hold SHIFT button and select rest of the bookmarks with keyboard arrows buttons

36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Excellent !

37. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

Fresh Easy Bookmarks update just arrived :cool:

What's new:
    • Implemented Copy-Paste feature for bookmarks and groups. Now you can copy bookmarks in your project, copy to another projects or even send them to your colleague to specify some object or asset in the project (imagine how it can speed up things during the Slack call :))
    • Added more shortcuts to select multiple bookmark (Ctrl + A, Shift + Click, Ctrl + Click)
    • Fixed Drag & Drop multiple objects from the Bookmarks window
    • Supported MacOS Command button for keyboard shortcuts
    Enjoy!

38. OU-dFun

OU-dFun

A new update with a bunch of fixes and improvements has already landed on the Asset Store planet :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

39. OU-dFun

OU-dFun