Search Unity

EASY Animation Question

Discussion in 'Animation' started by c0smic, Oct 30, 2013.

1. c0smic

c0smic

I'm just getting started with Unity and I'm wondering, the animations on a player walking would they be made in Unity or an external application? And also animations of a gun firing and bullets dropping on the ground, I know the gun would be made in an external application but would the animation part too?

2. halley

halley

The models are made in other applications.

The animations of how a character bends as she walks is done in other applications, but then how she moves around in the scene is done in Unity by scripting (monitoring either AI or user input).

Where the bullet goes, and how bullet holes appear, are done in Unity by scripting them. (Hopefully the bullet doesn't just fall on the ground, it should go to the target very fast.) The empty cartridge flying and dropping to the ground can be computed by Unity's physics, you don't have to animate the flying curve yourself. You might even make it a particle system so you don't have to allocate and clean up the mess on older shells.

3. c0smic

c0smic

Ah ok. So if one wanted to animate a tree moving with the wind does that have to be done in Unity?

4. halley

halley

5. sumitsharma

sumitsharma

The existence of Unity3D and similar products has helped democratize game development. So all the animations are mostly made with Unity.