Search Unity

Easy Airplane Path - Make aircraft fly in your skies in seconds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by maxxa05, Mar 7, 2014.

1. maxxa05

maxxa05

This Easy Airplane Path system will allow you to put aircraft in the sky of your games in seconds. Choose your aircraft model,
    place a few nodes to create your spline path, and you are ready to go. Your aircraft will then fly realistically in your scenes without
    needing any other inputs.

Features:
    • Simple spline-making editor tools allowing you to create and customize the nodes through which your airplanes will fly.
    • The plane will fly realistically, orienting along the path and banking in turns.
    • Fast, works on mobile.
    • Since it is spline-based, it will work in any build with PhysX code stripped.
    • If you wish to go further, the well commented code, along with the documentation, will allow you to customize the system at will.

Getting Started:

1. Put an empty Airplane Path system in your scene. You can add one by selecting "GameObject/Create Other/Airplane Path" in the Unity menu bar. You can add one by selecting "Airplane Path" in component menu too.
    2. Create as many nodes as you want (minimum 2 for Once looping type, minimum 3 for Looping) by clicking on Create Node.
    3. There will be a child of your Airplane Path GameObject named Path. This child GameObject will in turn contain your created node GameObjects.
    4. Move those nodes to create the desired path.
    5. On the Airplane Path component, set the desired airplane model.
    6. When all is set, press play to visualize the flight of your airplane.
    7. Change values in inspector for fine tuning. See documentation below.
    8. To delete a node, click Delete Node in inspector.

If you want to make any comment, ask any question or report any bug on this system, contact us or post in this thread.

2. maxxa05

maxxa05

1.0.2 update is waiting for review and should be online in the next few days.

Added Features:
    • Support for custom roll angle offset, allowing you to execute barrel rolls, for example.
    • Event raised when the path is over, passing the physical state of the plane when the event happened.
    • Option to destroy the Path GameObject when it is over. Useful for multiple path prefab instantiations at runtime.
    • More sample scripts in sample scene.
    • PDF Documentation.

3. maxxa05

maxxa05

4. Baraff

Baraff

Hi,

Does this work in Unity 5?

5. maxxa05

maxxa05

Yes, it does!

6. mdhoang

mdhoang

Please let me know if this script can satisfy the following requirements:
    1. I want my AI plane to be able to taxi from its location on the ground of the airport to the runway. I am assuming I can create a path for this. While the plane move on the ground, it should only rotates along the y-axis (like a car, no banking).
    2. After reaching the runway, the AI plane shall take off and fly around the scene in a path an x number of times. I assume I need to create second path for this on the air flying. For this path, the plane should fly like an airplane (banks when it turns).
    3. After completing the on the air path in step 2, the AI plane shall be able to fly back to the airport, lands on the runway and taxi back to its docking spot. I assume I'll need to create another path for this.

Would you please confirm this script can perfrom the 3 requirements above?