Search Unity

Easiest Project or Tutorial for Beginners?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by KermitCHP, Sep 24, 2019.

?

The easiest project or tutorial is:

1. New User Micro-Game: Platform

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New User Micro-Game: Karting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Creator Kit: Beginner Code

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Creator Kit: FPS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scripts as Behavior Components

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Using the Unity Interface

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Unity Core Concepts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I have a better idea!!!

100.0%
  9. Polls aren't any fun. :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

Good Afternoon,

Confession time...I've programmed in C# before and I would be at best a "white belt" in the art. And, I have a prototype script-based choose-your-own-adventure game teaching radiation safety that I've started using the Udemy teaching programs.

But, I'm at an impasse now. I can't go any farther in Udemy. I'm an old dog (50 year old, disabled, retired US Army veteran) who is learning new tricks. It's fun, but I've had two years of banging my head against a wall and now I have a headache.

What I would like from you is:

1. Sympathy...please...even if it's false or run by a NPC right now I'll take it.

2. Advice...please. Which of the projects or tutorials on the Unity Hub 2.1.2 Learn are the easiest to do? I need a pick-me-up something fierce, and I still want to learn how to code and write my radiation safety video games. After responding to Fukushima, I knew that I had to come up with a way to teach radiation safety in a way that a 21st century, worldwide audience could understand. And that's video games.

Thanks in advance! You are all wonderful! Have an excellent week!

With thanks,

-Aaron

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, first, hang in there. You can do it! You're never too old to learn new tricks.

I don't have any experience with these tutorials, so I can't tell you what's best. Probably just plan to do them all, starting with anything that says "beginner" on it, and work your way up from there. They should all be doable, and the more you do, the more will stick.

Finally, there is a possibility for some collaboration here... I'm looking for people to mentor on Mini Micro, which is a new game development environment I've been working on for about a year. If you're looking for a mentor, and willing to learn a new language/environment (both much simpler than Unity and C#), then PM me and maybe we can start working together.

3. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

Thanks! I appreciate the advice and empathy. I'm still focused on Unity but I like your ideas.