Search Unity

World Building Earth Recreated in Unity with Depiction Engine

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by JonathanPaquinLafleur, Nov 9, 2023.

1. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

The Depiction Engine is a Free and Open Source asset that adds multiple features to Unity.

• 64 Bit Transforms(Think solar system sized scenes)
    • Geo Coordinate Transforms
    • Procedural Planet Framework
    • Support for GIS data such as Elevation or OSMBuildings
    • Spherical Terrain
    • Javascript API for WebGL builds
    • Much more

Learn more: https://vizinteractive.io/depiction-engine/

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    marcoantap, rdjadu, CitrioN and 3 others like this.
  2. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Wow O:
    Certainly impressive!

As it turns out, nothing is impossible in Unity ;)

3. mgear

mgear

wow! is there some catch or pricing?

4. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

Contributions are appreciated and would help me keep on supporting the project but there is nothing mandatory.

GitHub Sponsors: https://github.com/sponsors/VIZ-Interactive

Mark_01 and mgear like this.
  5. restush96

restush96

@JonathanPaquinLafleur Just trying on Unity 2023.3.7 and 2022.2.19 got an error "Trying to access pass 1, but material 'CircularArc' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes."

Using template URP from Unity Hub, then follow steps on the documentation, and did manual patch URP.

6. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

Does the error appear to break something? If so a screenshot of what you are seeing in the editor would be helpful. Some errors or warnings during the patching process can be safely dismissed.

7. restush96

restush96

@JonathanPaquinLafleur the error occurred when hover to gameobject.

Log file
    Code (Boo):
    1. Trying to access pass 1, but material 'CircularArc' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.
    2. UnityEditor.Handles:DoPositionHandle_ArrowCap (int,UnityEngine.Vector3,UnityEngine.Quaternion,single,UnityEngine.EventType)
    3. UnityEditorInternal.Slider1D:Do (int,UnityEngine.Vector3,UnityEngine.Vector3,UnityEngine.Vector3,UnityEngine.Vector3,single,UnityEditor.Handles/CapFunction,single)
    4. UnityEditor.EditorTools.EditorToolManager:OnToolGUI (UnityEditor.EditorWindow)
    5. (wrapper dynamic-method) UnityEditor.SceneView:UnityEditor.SceneView.DefaultHandles_Patch2 (UnityEditor.SceneView)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    I provided the error video

Maybe could you add a working project on github? So user can setup quicker and have bug free.

8. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

9. restush96

restush96

10. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

@restush96 Thanks, I was able to reproduce the bug. For some reason the "Material/Editor/SceneView/CircularArc.mat" material didn't have the right shader("Shader/Editor/SceneView/CircularArc.shader) in your project.

I committed a fix that will automatically re-assign the right shader to the material.

Let me know if that fixes it.

11. restush96

restush96

@JonathanPaquinLafleur thanks no error anymore. However, I tried all planets preset in "Depiction Engine -> Astro" but they came pink.

12. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

@restush96 Your shaders got corrupted somehow, possibly when your migrate from one Unity version to another. You can search for "Could not find Sub Graph asset with GUID" or simply reimport the Depiction Engine all together.

13. restush96

restush96

@JonathanPaquinLafleur as I stated earlier, I didn't migrate, I created the project on fresh URP from Hub. After re-import they didn't fix. Maybe you need create unitypackge for the plugin rather than folder to works because unitypackge contain metadata for each file.

upload_2023-11-26_23-39-10.png

14. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

@restush96 You can already find the UnityPackages on Git under "Releases" in the section to the right. I added a new release containing the latest code and added the .meta files to the repository. Hopefully that helps.

15. restush96

restush96

@JonathanPaquinLafleur Thank you for update. However, it still has an error missing guid and planet still pink.

upload_2023-11-27_5-4-39.png
    upload_2023-11-27_5-6-9.png

16. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

@restush96 The /Resources .meta files were not up to date. Give it a try now.

17. restush96

restush96

18. JonathanPaquinLafleur

JonathanPaquinLafleur

@restush96 GeoAstroObjectTriplanar.shadersubgraph was in the .gitignore file... should be present now.

The usage of GeoAstroObjectTriplanar for the normals in the TerrainGrid shader is really just an experimentation to create more details and can be safely removed as it displays some noticeable tiled pattern.

19. developer3244

developer3244

Ok, can i use it for tests, huge content, or perhaps comercial games? This will always be free? There are some samples in git thing? Also, now something more mine, but how to extract content in github?

Also, ok, you just made the world. Things that i never will do in my life: one thing added in list.