Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[Early Access] Single-Player CCG Kit: create your own single-player CCG with Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

I definitely don't want you to have an endless scope. But I am letting you know both what I want as a designer, and what I have seen players want over and over again in those games forums for 2 very popular single player CCGs.

Keep up the good work!

gamevanilla likes this.
  2. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Definitely agreed! Hover zoom will be part of the first batch of updates.

That is exactly right. I have added an additional section to the documentation explaining how this works here. Hopefully it helps!

I do not know if you can default the simplified names; I will research that.

3. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Definitely understood and thank you very much for your feedback! It is very much appreciated and will help make the kit better.

4. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The first update of the kit is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Added "draw X cards" card effect.
    • Made Addressables initialization code more robust.
    You can keep track of the roadmap here.

5. TimmyC

TimmyC

Love the quick updates!

I have made my way through altering cards and hero so far hah. Definitely a learning curve but I love it so far. The animations I had been playing with were dragonbones animations so Ive rerigged a few using Unitys 2d animator like you are using.

I do have one bug that I cant fix. Ill attach a video so you can see what I mean. Im guessing its due to my 'player' not being the same size but I was just curious as to how they are being played (it doesnt appear to be childed to the player so maybe the character pivot + some offset when they are instantiated? which is throwing them off for me).

In the video youll see that the shield icon and the attack damage claw are well below where they should be. Ill keep playing with it as well.

https://gyazo.com/6b9c255bf2eb29ac35f633117efe3ef7

On a unrelated noted. You need to setup a Gamevanilla discord. You could have it cover all your projects. Allow people to exchange ideas/support each other/get support/etc for each asset. If you need help setting one up feel free to contact me I have ran multiple discord channels.

Lastly thanks again. Keep up the good work! I look forward to the next update.

gamevanilla likes this.
  6. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I definitely need to add a character creation manual to the documentation. In the meantime, you should be able to fix this by tweaking the Offset property of your player template's actions. These are the actions you can edit via the kit's visual editor (in both the Players and Enemies tabs): play animation, play particles, etc. I exposed them visually so that supporting new characters with different sizes and pivots can be done without having to modify any code.

Noted and thank you!

7. TimmyC

TimmyC

Oh wow! That's perfect. I'm not sure how i missed that lol

I did manage to break things by adding a card to the library, accidentally leaving it blank, and not removing it hah. Decks are definitely next on my list to play with.

Thanks again for your time and quick responses.

gamevanilla likes this.
  8. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.0.2EA is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Upgraded project to Unity 2019.3.0f5.
    • Added a "prepare content" step to the installation in order to avoid problems setting up the Addressable assets in the kit. Please re-install the kit on a new, empty project and make sure to follow the updated installation instructions.

9. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! I will fix this.

10. TimmyC

TimmyC

Found another bug (possibly after updating I did not test/notice in the previous version). It should be easy to test/fix if you attempt to play a card with arrow (ie sword) with one mana left, then target a card without arrow (ie a shield) and play that it card it will leave the arrow and allow you to play the first card giving you -1 mana. Attached a quick video.

https://gyazo.com/c5bfdd427cffbb0b900f85a7becaaff8

I do like the prepare content addition though to quickly add the addressables for the demon/wizard. Definitely will help new users.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Dziemian likes this.
  11. TimmyC

TimmyC

Im going to be your most hated customer haha.

There's a little bug with the glow not being implemented after using a card that returns mana. For example, if you have a two mana card in your hand and go below two mana it loses the glow because its unplayable. If you then play a card that gives you 2 mana or above (ie the magic book) the glow doesn't come back even though the card is playable. Im guessing the glow is just called on the start of the hand and Im sure it can be called again when playing a card that gives mana. I attached an example screenshot where I went to 1 mana then used a magic book to get back to 3 and the potion is playable but has no glow.

https://gyazo.com/619ad1e07151fac627984027936541ae

Thanks again.

Dziemian and hippobob like this.
  12. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No worries at all and please keep them coming! I have just fixed all the bugs you reported and will submit a new update today.

13. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.0.3EA is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Simplified the "prepare content" installation into "build content". Please make sure to follow the updated installation instructions.
    • Fixed glow in hand cards not being updated when the player's mana changes.
    • Fixed bug that caused the card selection arrow to be able to select non-arrow cards.
    • Invalid entries are ignored now when loading the player's deck.

14. TimmyC

TimmyC

Got distracted by the particle system. Loving how easy you made it to change the particle effects/animations (Once I remembered to put my particles on the top layers and not have them collide with rigidbodies lol).

https://gyazo.com/440ac0fe9bbf7f0cf2ebe97d988c4dec
    https://gyazo.com/0be5fafa80a03c250b1db409fdc7751e

I was also playing around with shaders for the cards themselves. For each card you have the sprite exposed in the editor, would it be possible to expose the material from the sprite renderer as well? This should allow custom shaders per card.

Im trying to create something similar to what I did here (ignoring the fact that its a potion and the programmer graphics hah).
    https://gyazo.com/70e98193c80dd98ae3979902d25c37fc

Another question I have is about the enemy intentions. I have changed enemies/enemy sizes. The Y of the enemy intentions appear to be bound to the box collider 2d. Is there anywhere/way to control the x position?

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    gamevanilla likes this.
  15. TimmyC

TimmyC

Found a little bug with cancelling attack cards from my indecisiveness or clickiness(?) hah. I accidentally had it happen then narrowed it down to what was making it happen. When an attack card moves to the center to play, if you left click on the card then right click to cancel it the card gets stuck. You can actually stack a full hand of attack cards onto that one center spot. Guessing its something with the raycast maybe?

https://gyazo.com/7dcd018adb983749db192b2af1e4789c

Thanks again

gamevanilla likes this.
  16. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

That makes sense; I will add it to my list.

It is hardcoded at the moment, but will see about making it easier to tweak.

17. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Fixed, thank you! The fix will be included with the next update.

18. TimmyC

TimmyC

gamevanilla likes this.
  19. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

20. hippobob

hippobob

Hello, can the picture sprite be replaced with a pixel art picture?

Attached Files:

21. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Yes.

22. timhogan123

timhogan123

Looks dope but that price tag has me on the fence :S

23. TimmyC

TimmyC

Everything is customizable. I highly recommend it. The time it would take to code, the editor aspects, the efficiency of the code, etc. Plus the roadmap. It is definitely worth it imo.

Almost everything modified.. (some not for the better hah)

https://gyazo.com/dd3315d4cf78fd829dfcf6c47678a325

gamevanilla and hippobob like this.
  24. timhogan123

timhogan123

True, if i were to pay someone to do that for me it would probably cost the same/ or a lot more...

25. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! Please note that the kit's price will increase to $199.99 once the Early Access period is completed.

26. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.0.4EA is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Added "strength" buff. It adds +X to the character's damage points.
    • Improved the animation system of the player's hand cards to prevent artifacts in certain contexts.
    • Refactored the card effect resolution code into an independent ECS system.

27. TimmyC

TimmyC

Love the quick updates! Love the Strength buff. Am I safe to guess a defense one is coming soon too?

My top 3 requests are .. The hover card previews, the exposed card material from the sprite render and multiple enemies (on the roadmap). Thanks again!

Tim

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    gamevanilla likes this.
  28. TimmyC

TimmyC

Another future request would definitely be for the deckdata to contain a card prefab. so each different deck could have a different base prefab layout. ie red cards for one hero, green for another, etc.

Thanks

Tim

gamevanilla likes this.
  29. timhogan123

timhogan123

Im a bit of a Unity Amateur so the problems i have all probably have a fix but not ones a novice could easily do without more documentation.

1. Where are the Editor Builds being saved???

- After i go into the editor and enter all the assets then > Build, where is this build being saved? how can i Edit/Update the existing build easily?

2. Cannot Target Self

- Even with the normal default build self buffs dont seem to work? i can target the enemy with attacks, but not myself with Shield/Potions?

3. None of my own assets work if i wanted to create new Player/Enemy Models.

- After going Create > CCG Kit > Player, then entering my own Prefab,Name,Stats etc and saving it.

-Instead the default ones are always loaded regardless of my own assets clearly being chosen after creating them

General Feedback

- I think its not very clear that your edit is being saved since you can input all the assets you want, close and build, but if u were to open it again before building, its all gone, and its strange to have something work like that. So along the tabs i think it would a neat idea to have existing builds u can select from, and edit them freely.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  30. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Please use the contact form at our website for technical support. Let's keep this forum thread for announcements, pre-purchase questions and general feedback (otherwise, it is very hard to keep track of things for me).

Having said that, some quick notes:

1. You decide where you want the Unity build to be stored on your machine when you first generate one. That is not something specific to the kit, but more related to the way Unity works.

2. Self buffs work just like in Slay the Spire; there is no selection arrow but you drag the card to the center of the screen instead (making the selection area bigger is on my list).

3. I will add a section to the documentation on how to do this.

timhogan123 likes this.
  31. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.0.5EA is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Upgraded project to Unity 2019.3.0f6. This is the first official, stable release of Unity 2019.3, so we will keep it as the minimum required version for the foreseeable future.
    • Added a Material field to the card templates. This allows using custom shaders in the cards.

32. TimmyC

TimmyC

Awesome! Thanks for adding that. I do have one question as I'm still not super familiar with addressables. Is there a reason the gamebootstrap has the character/enemy templates as string references not AssetReferences? I noticed with AssetReferences you can choose them from a list in the inspector similar to a gameobjects. I know this would save me from making typos in character/enemy template names (hah), but I'm not sure if there's a downside.
    Thanks in advanced.

Tim

gamevanilla likes this.
  33. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

This has been changed internally and will be available in the next update. Thank you!

34. TimmyC

TimmyC

Awesome! Thanks again.

Tim

35. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Quick update! We recently submitted version 1.0.6EA of the kit, but as Asset Store submissions are not being processed this week, it will not be available until the next one. These are the release notes:
    • Added "weak" debuff. It removes 25% (rounding down) off the character's damage points.
    • Refactored status effects system to be more generic.

36. TimmyC

TimmyC

Awesome! Loving the quick updates. Definitely like statuses being easy(ier) to create. Keep up the good work!

Tim

gamevanilla likes this.
  37. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.0.7EA is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Added "poison" debuff. It deals X points of damage to the target character when his turn begins.
    • Moved systems to the new SystemBase class.

nixter likes this.
  38. nixter

nixter

Loving the updates to the main combat system.

Any ETA on multiple enemies being implemented? It's an important feature for me.

39. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! No ETA, but once it is done I will announce it here as always.

nixter likes this.
  40. vinhuman

vinhuman

Let me start by saying I just got this and it looks like a great start so far. I love how everything is set up, it all feels very well planned and thought out.

Realizing that this is in the early stages and there is plenty else you’re probably working on that’s more important, here are a few suggestions:

• The playing of the cards feels a bit clunky/not 100% responsive as a new user (attack cards don’t seem to move until you’ve dragged to the center of the screen and it feels like they aren’t working momentarily). Once you get used to it this is less true, but I think the selecting of the cards, hovering (you can’t read most of what they say), etc. should be improved a bit.
    • As far as I can tell, statuses/buffs don’t stack or modify based on current values (I might be missing something obvious). I think there should a toggle option so applying 2 poison to an enemy with 2 poison gets 4 poison (decaying over 4 turns, etc.) instead of getting 2 poison again. Same for strength, etc.
    • I am a terrible coder and was able to quickly use the existing code to replicate a couple STS effects like Vulnerable and doing damage as a multiple of the instigator’s shield, but it would be great if some common card effects that are slightly less trivial to code could be included, like a card with a discard [x] cards mechanic (at random or by choice).

gamevanilla likes this.
  41. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your excellent feedback! Definitely noted.

42. vinhuman

vinhuman

I made a few quick edits to how the cards display on drag/hover/selection:

https://imgur.com/a/GVgULMr

Maybe my prior point was just a bit of laziness on my end because this didn't take long at all.

nixter and gamevanilla like this.
  43. vinhuman

vinhuman

Hopefully everyone is staying safe in the pandemic. One more minor suggestion - I think the "Randomize" enemy pattern is set up such that the Effects need to be ordered in the same order as the respective Probabilities in the editor. If so, it would be great if this could be modified a bit to allow for multiple effects per probability. If there's a work-around to achieve this or I'm wrong about something, then nevermind!

gamevanilla likes this.
  44. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.0.8EA is now available for download! These are the release notes:
    • Buffs and debuffs stack by default now.
    • Fixed several issues with the card selection system.
    • Upgraded project to the latest version of the Entities package.

nixter likes this.
  45. somosky

somosky

Hi is this pack intended for 2D use only or I be able to use 3d models?

46. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

All the content provided is 2D. It should not be terribly difficult to adapt to 3D, but you would need to do that yourself.

47. somosky

somosky

Hi so I'm using Unity 2019.32f1 and I'm going through the importing section on your website and when I go to the part where it says

Select the Tools/Single-Player CCG Kit/Build content menu option.

I don't have that option.

https://i.postimg.cc/CK4dnPdb/ccg.png

Any idea why? I've gone through all of the other steps.

48. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We do not provide technical support over here. Please reach us via the official contact form at our website. Thank you!

49. TimmyC

TimmyC

Been a while. Hope you are doing well. Ive finally had a bit of free time to play around with cards again hah.This is going to be a longer request/suggestion so Ill try my best to explain.

For a learning experience I decided to create my own status effect. I created a new dodge effect (similar to shield, thinking it could be combined with shield or as a first check to avoid entirely), and have it working functionally. The enemy/player factor it in when attacking/defending no problem.

What I am trying to create is an effect that doesnt exists and assign it to a card. So for example, I make a card scriptable object called dodge and want to assign it the effect 'dodge'. When looking at the shield scriptable object I see it links to a scripted template effect, but there doesnt seem to be a way to manually set those. Instead they seem to be set from the editor selections. Which obviously is limited to the pre existing status effects.

So to create my dodge effect I added a dodge effect to the CardsTab script, then applied it to my dodge scriptable object from the editor. On the player I have it functionally creating an effect similar to shield on the hpwidget. And it is factoring into the math for both fine. However on the enemy there is no intent set for it so the system merely uses the one before.

I understand that making the editor that would let you create all kind of status would be near, if not, impossible. So I was wondering if there was any way to break the status system back out to something that could be manually edited and not just assigned by the editor. Perhaps a scriptable object for each type that has a name, value, and an intent graphic. Which could be assigned on the card scriptable object. I may be missing something simple or completing going about it the wrong way. Im sure you would know more than myself on the subject, and I thank you in advanced.

As always, thanks for your time. I know it was a lengthy post so I hope its easy to understand hah. If you have any questions I will try to give more detail.

Tim

gamevanilla likes this.
  50. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you as always, Tim! I think you are right and statuses should be moved back into independent scriptable objects as opposed to being hard-coded into the editor. I am currently taking some time to rethink the design of several core areas in the kit to make sure things are as easy as possible for users before tackling other features, so I will make sure to take this into consideration within that work.

unityunity