Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[Early Access] Single-Player CCG Kit: create your own single-player CCG with Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Aug 1, 2019.

1. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello!

I am pleased to announce we are working on a new CCG asset specifically devoted to single-player collectible card games in the spirit of Slay the Spire. It is called Single-Player CCG Kit and it looks like this:

The first version of the kit, which will be released in Early Access (at a reduced price) in a few weeks, will contain the most essential single-player CCG features:
    • Visual card editor.
    • Visual enemy editor.
    • Battle gameplay scene.
    We will add more features in subsequent versions based on the community's feedback (e.g., shop, items, maps, non-battle events, etc.). If you are interested in this asset, please follow this thread for development updates and to let us know which features are the most important for you. All feedback is very welcome! :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! I WANT THAT

gamevanilla likes this.
  3. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is the background 2d or can we use 3d scences aswell? Same with the characters, 2d or both?

4. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The background and the characters provided with the kit are 2D sprites, but we are making it so that switching to 3D should be pretty easy.

5. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

great! I buy anyway :D

gamevanilla likes this.
  6. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

When is the pre-release? Cant wait D:D

7. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hopefully soon! I will keep this thread up-to-date as development continues.

pushingpandas likes this.
  8. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

SteamWorld Quest supports multiple characters. Does your kit also support multi characters?

9. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The kit will provide one player character and one-or-multiple enemies, similarly to Slay the Spire. We will try and make it not terribly difficult for users to extend it to support multiple player characters, though.

10. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Any Hint how far development is? Are you in planning, designing or programming yet? What do you expect as earliest ETA for the pre-release???

11. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We are hard at work, so no ETA as of yet. Hopefully soon!

TimmyC likes this.
  12. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is soon soon? :) I cant wait no more....!!!!

13. TimmyC

TimmyC

Definitely interested in this as well

14. ponasoft

ponasoft

I am making roguelike deckbuilding game with CCG kit for 1.5 years. I am very happy you are working on a single player kit. I have played around 20 roguelike deckbuilding games. Dream quest and slay the spire are creators and best examples of this genre. I think shop and in-game deck screen is must (i made both similar to Deckbuilder section). Maps and non-battle events might be added later. Card editor flexibility and AI is more important than the CCG Kit because deckbuilding games rely on these. I will be happy to give feedback when I got Early Access version.

gamevanilla likes this.
  15. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Any update on this?

16. TimmyC

TimmyC

I would love to be able to purchase an Early Access version as well, and happily provide feedback.

pushingpandas, DrOcto and gamevanilla like this.
  17. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I want to hear from you too.

18. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is it dead? No updates since months

19. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We are alive and hard at work! My latest message still applies: hopefully soon. :)

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

push push. Any news?

TimmyC likes this.
  21. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I have some news:
    • The initial, Early Access release of the kit will be submitted before the end of the year.
    • We are developing the kit with the latest 2019.3.0 beta.
    • The initial release will only feature the in-game/combat scene. More features will be added in later updates based on the community's feedback.
    • While the kit is in Early Access, it will have a reduced price.
    This is as precise as we can get at this point. We are taking some time to make the kit as easy and intuitive to use as possible, but internally we are aiming for a playable demo at some point during the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

ponasoft and TimmyC like this.
  22. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Great. Thank you for the update!

gamevanilla likes this.
  23. TimmyC

TimmyC

Agreed. Definitely looking forward to it.

gamevanilla likes this.
  24. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can see some of the progress of the last few days here. Characters are animated using Unity's new 2D animation tools.

pushingpandas and TimmyC like this.
  25. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

awesome! When its out? Can we use 3d models one day?

TimmyC likes this.
  26. TimmyC

TimmyC

Any news?

27. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We have been working on two things as of late:
    • Migrating the codebase to ECS.
    • Making sure the kit works with fast enter-play mode.
    Which is taking some additional time, but is definitely worth it!

TimmyC likes this.
  28. TimmyC

TimmyC

Sounds worth it!

29. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Isnt ECS still in preview status?

30. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Yes, just like the kit will be on release (early access). In my experience, the core APIs are stable enough to be used just fine in a hybrid project.

TimmyC and pushingpandas like this.
  31. TimmyC

TimmyC

Any eta on the early access? Im off for a 'staycation' in two weeks would love to play around with it hah.

32. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We will submit the first release by the end of this week, so hopefully shortly after that!

TimmyC, pushingpandas and jbob007 like this.
  33. TimmyC

TimmyC

Awesome

34. TimmyC

TimmyC

Any updates?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  35. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We submitted the first Early Access version of the kit last week, which is now pending review. It may take longer than usual to review it due to the Christmas holidays.

36. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Please explain the game kit in more detail. It would be better if you had a screenshot or video. Just the content on the Asset Store page.

37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is it submitted yet? I hear that unity assetstore team goes in holidays mode today and all assets wont be see light before 1. jan. 2020

38. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We submitted the kit one week ago. Considering the Christmas holidays, I think it is safe to assume we still need to wait a bit more for it to be released. Having said that, I have updated the original post with links to the WIP documentation, the roadmap and playable Windows/Mac OS demos.

Please note the kit will be released in Early Access, which means we plan to add much more features in future updates based on your feedback. During Early Access, the kit will cost $99.99 (50% off from its final price of $199.99).

Happy holidays!

39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

awesome demo! please insert audio sources in the asset later so we can drop sounds. Plays really great! Shild didnt work sometimes otherwise awesome

gamevanilla likes this.
  40. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

VERY excited to see and buy this. If anyone is interested in collaboration let me know. Have fulltime illustrator for card art and I'm board game designer.

I'm a huge fan of Slay the Spire, over 120 hours of gameplay. Also was a top player for Dreamblade, DnD Minis, The Spoils and a pretty damn good magic player for several years.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    gamevanilla likes this.
  41. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Demo feedback: Looking good!

Things I noticed

Playing no-target/self-target cards like Potions and Shields is tricky, the accepted "execution zone" is very small and specific and anywhere outside of that box and it doesn't play. How STS handles this: Any card dragged so it's middle point is above the highest point of the cards in hand highlights white and if released will play. Double clicking does not play the card. Left or right of center field does not matter.

$$$: I think you should take the advice of others above and add multi-party members as an option. You can look to the fantastic game Deep Sky Derelicts and how they handled it. (Spoiler: diagonal from bottom left to middle 3 main characters in back row, 3 minions in front, repeat mirrored for enemies on the right). In that case you should switch self-target/party-target cards to only be played by dragging to one of your allies and show the target UI arrow same as with enemy-target cards.)

ie:
    Note: with DSD it shows hands on the left, unit order on the right. Because initiative speed manipulation is a big part of that game.

I'm not using a 16:9 ratio display so I think my display cut off a lot at the bottom. I'm sure this is something on roadmap for much later.

ponasoft and gamevanilla like this.
  42. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Follow up from above: I don't like how small the cards are shown in DSD. I think they should have put initiative top middle scrolling left to right, or top right scrolling down. And reduced the icon size to 1/2 what it is. The cards in hand are so small you HAVE to click on them to read anything. They failed on that part of UIUX.

Also there is no way to see cards in hand for other party members, I think this could have been shown as a transparent wheel behind the active characters cards in hand, or at least shown when you click on a party members initiative icon.

Note: one of the biggest feedbacks from DSD playerbase is they want to see the enemies hand when enemy plays cards. (STS uses an event script for combat actions, DSD gives decks to AI) The game uses a lot of discard and card locking mechanics you can play against the AI, but you actually have no idea how effective those debuffs are because you can't see the AI's hand. :/

43. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your excellent feedback!

Two points that I would like to clarify and that were decided during the initial phases of developing the kit:
    • The kit is focused on 1 player vs. 1-to-many enemies.
    • The kit assumes Slay the Spire-style enemies, where the AI uses actions instead of decks.
    The reasoning being that we prefer to focus on doing one well-known style of single-player CCG (Slay the Spire) really well as opposed to trying and support any conceivable combination of mechanics out there in a less than ideal manner. Specifically:
    • Multi-member parties are not necessarily complex in terms of presenting multiple characters on the screen, but they definitely complicate the handling of the player's deck with the many possible design combinations (a single deck with common and member-specific cards, independent decks for each member, etc.).
    • The AI using decks instead of actions (e.g., Meteorfall) almost requires a completely different way of thinking about the visuals of the combat.
    Not saying these won't happen necessarily, though. One of the main reasons behind the Early Access period is precisely to try and gather the minimum set of features that are considered the most essential by the community. It is easy to get tempted into trying to support any single mechanic available in existing games but, in our experience developing assets, that has the potential to add a significant cost in terms of the ease of use and understanding of the kit.

44. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Happy to announce the first Early Access version of Single-Player CCG Kit is now available on the Asset Store!

45. TimmyC

TimmyC

Purchased! And I think your roadmap is great. I think the top ones for me would definitely be persistence to a map scene and buff/debuff (stats,card draw, damage over time, ect). Thanks.

gamevanilla likes this.
  46. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Saw the kit is finally in the store! Yay!

Bought it, downloaded it and did a fresh install following the direction.
    Did install DOTtween, did the setup on that. Some text mesh install widows also showed up (should include those in your documentation)
    Found the Game scene in your scenes folder, tried to run it and got a bunch of errors. Been a long while since I've used Unity, if you want me to export these errors please let me know how.

upload_2020-1-7_8-48-40.png

If you could help me get to a run-able state I'd appreciate it.

47. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Well definitely put me down for the 1 or many PCs vs many enemies
    and Enemy uses decks and/or actions camp.

STS is great, but without these changes were just making STS clones. With these changes were making SPCCG games.

"The AI using decks instead of actions (e.g., Meteorfall) almost requires a completely different way of thinking about the visuals of the combat."
    Can you expand on this one? You mean showing the enemies hand, deck and discard piles?

gamevanilla likes this.
  48. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you!

Please reach us via the contact form at our website (mentioning your Unity version) and we will get it sorted out. I would like to keep this thread focused on announcements, Early Access discussions and pre-purchase questions.

49. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I understand what you mean, but do not necessarily agree with the conclusion. At the end of the day, it is important to acknowledge no asset is ever going to cover every imaginable mechanic and additional, custom work by the user is always going to be needed. Ultimately, whether someone makes a clone of another game or not is really up to him. We took the decision to focus on what is arguably the most successful single-player CCG available today. It is a starting point and we will see where do we go from here.

My fear is trying to tackle too many, distinct types of game mechanics in a single kit could quickly lead to an exponential increase in the difficulty of using the kit, with the added potential of causing frustration for our users. This fear is backed up by our own experience developing, maintaining and providing support for many different assets in the past few years.

Among many other things. There are literally dozens of combinations there:
    • The enemies have actions.
    • The enemies have a deck and they show it.
    • The enemies have a deck and they do not show it.
    • The enemies have a hand and discard pile.
    • The enemies do not have a hand and discard pile.
    • ... and so on.
    Every single option needs specific design, code, art and documentation. It is not only a matter of developing the feature itself, but also make it work in concert with the rest of the kit (and possibly provide editor support for it) in a way that makes sense and is reasonably easy to understand and use.

50. TimmyC

TimmyC

I agree. Exposing your systems and making them extendable when possible is the best solution for me (rather than trying to write something that will be inspector driven with an ever expanding scope).

Having finally had a chance to play with it. I definitely think a hover zoom feature is needed. The card placement is low, as it should be, but a hover zoom (even just 1.5 scale tween and rewind) would really help. I quickly implemented a mouseover hover zoom as a second script on the card to play with, but because it wasn't hooked into your system for playing the cards obviously the tweens conflicted and caused some interesting bugs hah. Ill obviously have to dive a little deeper into your code as I get the chance as well.

I haven't looked too far into addressables. Just to make sure Im understanding correctly, the demon/wizard were the only two adressables? And those had to be manually added to the adressables packed asset (through windows asset manager or by toggling it on the prefab)? As well I had to use simplify entry names, is there a way to default the simplified names?

Thanks again for your time.

Dziemian and gamevanilla like this.
unityunity