Search Unity

Games [Early Access] Atmocity

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by _M_S_D_, Nov 26, 2017.

1. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

I missed the devlog last week as I needed some time off, but development has been ongoing. Ideology work is still underway. Ideology is a huge undertaking as it makes significant changes to core systems and so it's still some ways away. In the mean time, there's still a road map full of items - this road map will be posted in the forum soon to replace the current one. The new one is more detailed and grouped into different areas.

As for now, 0.65 will be live in a bit, what's new? Here's what's new:

0.64 -> 0.65
    - Added tram bridge.
    - Increased output from police departments (both upgraded and not).
    - Added missing street light props on roundabouts.
    - Parking lot decoration added.

- Changed the upkeep calculation for decorations - each decoration now has an individual upkeep cost instead of upkeep being calculated on the total amount of decorations.
    - Parking lot decorations now generate a small amount of money.
    - Education and health now always shown as green on industry in view modes (as these buildings do not require health and education buildings nearby).
    - Adjusted maximum trades.
    - Increased step size in the UI for long trade contracts when there are more warehouses.
    - Adjusted monorail colliders.
    - Tweaked hydrogen plant and hydrogen power plant inputs and outputs. Should make balancing own production of hydrogen with hydrogen power plants more viable.

- Fixed continous trades cancelling automatically.
    - Fixed bug where 10 import/exports could be initiated before time tick has checked the number of goodsports in the city.
    - Fixed another bug where overpasses could be demolished with things still built on them.
    - Fixed ugly LOD for one of the new sixth density residential buildings.
    - Fixed being able to build bridges off of the underside of newly implemented side block.
    - Fixed monorails not being possible to build over roundabouts.
    - Fixed being able to build monorail and vactrain tracks even when there is a collision (one frame bug).
    - Fixed bug where fifth density 4th tier commercial building was not set to be upgradable (to top density).

Decorations have been redone slightly. It used to be that each decoration was counted and upkeep was then calculated based on the total number of decorations. Now each decoration has an upkeep cost, and some have also now been given a negative upkeep value - ie they generate a bit of money (parking lots for starters).
    A new parking lot decoration has been added:

I found that the fourth tier commercial building could not access the top density. This has now been fixed and all buildings should now be able to appear in the city.

I've started tweaking colliders a bit further. Monorails could not be built over roundabouts for example. This has now been fixed. There were also some bugs, like being able to plop monorail tracks even when there was collision (on the first frame at a new position). These bugs have now been fixed.
    It was also possible to build bridge in a funky way from the newly added side blocks, this has now been fixed. While testing this I also noticed a big with overpasses, this has now been fixed too.

There was a bug in trades, where a continuous trade would instantly time out.
    I also increased the increments when making a long term trade of more than 500 units so that it depends on the number of warehouses. Generally speaking, the more warehouses you have, the more you can store, so it makes sense that the increment is larger if the city is large and has many warehouses.

A tram bridge has also been added to allow trams to cross over different islands.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello,

Work is progressing on the upcoming version. I'll be getting the last density for the 4x4 hotel buildings in, but have started with some minor additions and fixes.

I've continued work on ironing out some issues with monorails - I noticed for example that the collider for the up/down piece was a bit buggy.

I've increased the minimum population required for tram, monorail and vactrain stations and added in a small bus stop that can cover some minor public transport requirements. As pictured, they can also be stacked fairly neatly to produce more public transport output.

I've added a function to allow trade items to be triggered at a specific price point. So for example, if you want to start selling a bunch of goods once the market price is above a certain level, then that can be done now.

I've also continued work on added more billboards, starting with a rounded one - here for use on the vertical vactrain station:

3. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello,

I'm aiming to have the next version of the game live on august 9:th. There's more ideology work included into the version, but will not yet be accessible by players. There's still some time left before I start unlocking the first ideologies which will be progressivism, conservatism, authoritarianism and liberalism. These aside from shifting certain base values for things like crime, happiness and education, these, overall, are fairly similar to the current base ideology (centrism). The remaining for ideologies, like communism, will feature more substantial changes to the core game, like there being no conglomerates in communism or schools etc. being privatized in laissez faire liberalism.
    Some of these more fundamental changes might make it into the other ideologies afterwards.

The most recent building I've made for ideologies is the house of constitution building, which is a right wing building.

In the upcoming version there will be further tweaks to resource prices, building upkeep costs and output.

The last density for hotels is underway. After this I will start cranking out the 3x3 residential, commercial and hotel buildings. This will be a fairly long process though since there will be four densities for residences and commerce, and 3 for hotels. So that's a total of 46 buildings not counting any variations.

I'll be updating the steam store page a bit soon too, and update the road map now that I've more or less locked it (of course, player requests are still welcome and will be considered!).

4. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello,

A bit later than expected, hotels out but some other goodies in, 0.66 is now live! What's new?

0.65 -> 0.66
    - Added spinning billboards on standing vacstation.
    - Added conditional trades - now a trigger price can be set to allow trading contracts to start at a certain price point.
    - Added bus stop as a low capacity public transport building.
    - Added end piece decoration for side blocks.
    - Added a tunnel block that can be used to hide vactracks.
    - Added an end decoration for the new tunnel block.
    - Added an outer corner piece for recently added side blocks.
    - Decoration upkeep cost and output values now displayed in infopanel.
    - House of constitution added (locked until ideology system is finished).
    - 1/2 and 1/4 blocks removed (1/8 blocks cover their function well enough).

- Top density residential and commercial buildings now generate a slight negative density value, so that top densities aren't spammed across the city.
    - Changed min population required for tram, monorail and vactrain stations.
    - Vactracks now require electronics to be built.
    - Adjusted upkeep costs and resource trade costs for food items and consumer resources. Also made minor adjustments to raw material trade prices.
    - Replaced object fade out texture.
    - Added upkeep, environment and culture values for side block decoration and fan decoration.

- Fixed import settings for recently added textures.
    - Fixed certain decorations sometimes not being correctly rotated after loading a city.
    - Fixed autosave frequency bug in options menu.
    - Fixed destruction hologram sometimes getting stuck after cancelled demolision.
    - Fixed trees not spawning randomly on rounded grass covered decoration blocks.
    - Prospective fix for resolution options being doubled in options menu.

The hotel buildings are still in the works and should be in the next version, which I'm hoping to have ready in about 2 weeks time.

There have been some prototype stuff that I've not finished, but decided needed to be done now. I had an old prototype of tunnels in the works, but had not made a good system for checking what sides of a tunnel block could be built on. This has now been implemented meaning that "odd" blocks can now be used in game without relying so much on precise colliders and special cases in code.

There will be a block with a road tunnel added as well in upcoming versions, even if you can also build tunnel structures using overpasses.

The new side blocks that can be built on now feature a full set of straight, inner corner and outer corner pieces. I've also added a type of rim decoration that can be used to spruce things up further.

Conditional trades are now in, meaning you can trigger a trade contract to start at specific prices. Busstops are now in (bus vehicles coming later). I've also changed the fade out texture, but more work is needed to adapt fadeout ranges, for example on trees for it to look more seamless.

5. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello,

The recent update to fix an issue with the option menu, added some new stuff!

I've updated a handful of decorations to use world space textures instead, meaning they will tile seamlessly. In updating them, I also made them work properly with seasons, meaning they will go brown in autumn and white in winter.

On top of this, I've updated the existing plaza buildings so that they work seamlessly together with these decorations as well as other plazas, meaning you can make more customized plaza areas.

In the next update I will make the same changes to the existing parks and grass type decorations. This isn't as big a job, but should make it possible to make more dedicated park areas.

I noticed some stuff wrong with the big vac train station texture (grass area was glossy). This has now been fixed.

I recently mentioned that the fade out ramp texture was changed. For some reason Unity didn't seem to manage to load it at run time the first time you open a city, so I have now added it via inspector to make sure it always works properly. This ramp is a type of raster that makes the fade out more akin to transparency (without the performance hit) unlike the previous that used the destruction ramp.

On top of these changes I've changed the vegetation shader to not calculate vegetation movement if vegetation is further away (since this mostly just looks like jittery aliasing anyway). This also improves performance of the shader a bit, as less calculation is done overall.

6. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

A bit late with the devlog, but here it is!

I'm currently finishing up on the new block pieces (adding inner and outer corners etc). There are now an inner and outer rounded slope piece that works well with the road pieces of the same type.

Having redone part of how building placement works, I've been able to add in more interesting pieces - like the recently added vactrack tunnel. I've now also added a proper road tunnel.

I'll be redoing part of how road placement works to allow roads to be placed directly on these sloped pieces, instead of having to place individual, specific blocks with the road already attached. This should make using them a bit more natural.

I've also redone one of the core systems - how blocks and water blocks are merged to produce bigger mesh chunks, which preserve memory with there being fewer objects but also makes shadow casting more efficient. Now grass tiles, roads and plaza tiles are also added to the merger.

There's some more stuff coming in the upcoming version, but more on that in the upcoming devlog!

7. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Version 0.67 will be live tomorrow!
    New block types and some fixed incoming!
    Hello!

The upcoming version is almost ready, it will be live tomorrow around noon, central european time!

This version adds in a bunch of new block types and is the first version in a few upcoming versions that focuses on improving construction and building placement. The remaining hotels and ideology buildings will be included in these versions as well.

The newly added blocks will allow more customization and toying around with different island looks etc. Some of these have been available prior, but were then categorized as a decoration and as such could not be built on, and it also adapted itself to neighbors instead of being fully customizable.

Roads that match these new block types have been available since way back, but had to be placed individually as a unique, special road tile. They have now been incorporated into the regular road placement tool, so that the road placed automatically adapts to the underlying block type. Currently, only the basic road works this way, but I will be adding in the avenue road type as well as trams to this as well.

The grass and recently added plaza type can also be placed in the same manner, automatically adapting to the block underneath.

There are also two new block types of a more decorative style. The other one was showcased in the last devlog. This one works in a similar way, and also allows for the addition of a decorative border around it.

The polish translation has been updated! The localization system is still in the works and will hopefully transition completely to the new version in the next update. I'm in the process of adapting the existing translations to the new system and in doing so will also start looking into getting these updates up to date as well.

8. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

I was notified that Atlantis mode wasn't displaying the blocks properly (due to the object merger missing the initial blocks there) - SO! Game has been updated to fix this issue, and a bunch of other minor changes!

0.67 -> 0.68
    - New block icons added.
    - Added being able to build trams on new block types.
    - Added missing night time lighting for fourth tier highest density commercial building.
    - Grid now follows pointer when placing blocks
    - Lowered volume of police and fire department vehicles as well as ambulances.
    - Park footprints adapted to be surrounded by grass to better match with park-like decorations.
    - Adjusted school footprint to better match surroundings.
    - Improved vehicle performance.
    - Improved car intersection behavior.

- Fixed cars not moving properly on the outer rounded block type.
    - Fixed road tunnels not saving properly.
    - Fixed tram movement issues.
    - Fixed trams not spawning.
    - Fixed roads connecting through the side of a tunnel if there is a road directly outside and the road in the tunnel was placed after the other road.
    - Fixed shadow caster in tunnels.
    - Fixed bug where Atlantis level blocks would not be sent to block merger and thus become invisible.
    - Fixed destruct sound for demolishing buildings.
    - Fixed placement frame not being removed when placing decorations on items (as click and drag isn't available).

There were some issues relating to the newly added block types, tunnels not saving for example or cars not being able to move properly over the certain road types. These have now been addressed.

Trams can now be built over the new road types on sloped or slanted blocks. In working with trams I also noticed a few issues that have been addressed - among them trams not spawning properly when placing a tram station.

I've started cleaning up building, block and road placement code and fixed some minor bugs there. For example, the click and drag frame would display even for decorations that can only be placed individually.

Some of the park textures have been cleaned up so they don't have paths leading to the edge of the footprint in order to make it easier to build large park areas that blend together well.

This update was a bit rushed to fix the Atlantis mode bug, but I should have another build up fairly soon to cover the remainder of hotels for example.

9. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

I'm pushing an update to fix some minor issues and to add some overall polish in building placement etc.

0.68 -> 0.69
    - Pumpkins are back!
    - Lowered concrete cost for foundations.
    - Tweaked tax income from RCI and H. Early tax income bonus time increased.
    - Increased emergency loan size.
    - Lab credit upkeep cost reduced.
    - Added difficulty slider in world creation screen. Hard mode coming in 0.7.
    - Atlantis mode deprecated - cities made in this mode will be converted to the newly added easy mode (same thing).
    - Ensured camera is returned to source position after camera shake.
    - Lowered screenshake when placing buildings.
    - Updated 2x1 sized decorations to match plaza type decorations and plazas.
    - Increased culture output of upgraded mayoral house.
    - Added slight culture output from mayoral house and city hall.
    - Added busstops to public transport view so they are easier to spot.
    - Adjusted destruct particles to get recycled quicker.

- Tidied up object placement hologram so that it doesn't "fly in" when selected.
    - Tidied up code for placing grass and roads on newly added blocks.

- Fixed (most likely) demand calculation for buildings unaffected by the global economy. This issue usually showed itself as production buildings having 0 labour for example.
    - Fixed placement hologram not disappearing when switching from building to bull dozer.
    - Fixed park footprint to work with world textures.
    - Fixed not being able to place tram tracks on road tile after busstop has been placed on the same tile.
    - Fixed roads connecting via the side of busstops.
    - Fixed missing tunnel face icon.
    - (Prospective) fix for resetting controls to default.
    - Fixed UI color and shadow/texture quality resetting when resetting to defaults.

There was an issue where factory and building output would sometimes "cut off". This was due to a calculation error for buildings unaffected by the global economy. This is hopefully fixed, or at the very least much less common now.

I've tweaked tax income from RCIH and some building upkeep costs as well as lowered concrete costs for foundations (making city expansion a bit cheaper in that regard).

I've also added a slight culture output from mayor's house and city hall buildings.

I've also cleaned up building placement code and made it smoother.

10. warthos3399

warthos3399

@_M_S_D_ Im very impressed with what you have done, its very unique. Ive watched the game grow and progress, best of luck to you, nice job :)

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  11. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Thanks! :D It's been a long time, but a labour of love. :)

12. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

I missed the previous devlog due to being downed by vaccination. But here's the latest in Atmocity development!

It seems like good timing to round off the latest dev stretch with an update, so 0.7 is here!

0.69 -> 0.7
    - Hard mode added. More tweaks to come to this over time.
    - New destruction hologram added. This one looks nicer and has no Z-fighting issues.
    - Added ability to move buildings
    - Made happiness related to pollution more closely relative to population levels (higher population, higher tolerance).
    - Avenues can now be placed on sloped blocks.
    - Added roads into material merger.
    - Building a tunnel now automatically adds a road.
    - Destroying tunnels removes existing road inside.
    - Busstop destruct hologram added.
    - Road now reverts as expected when removing busstop.
    - Added a midbarrier object that can be used to prevent roads from automerging.

- Fixed roads with street lights spawning inconcistently around inner city buildings.
    - Fixed efficient recycling research item - cost reduction was incorrectly cost increase.
    - Fixed year cycle translations in options menu.
    - Fixed year cycle options sticking in dropdown menu.
    - Fixed building hologram displaying blue, but not being able to be placed when hovering over special buildings blocks are placed to not allow being built on.
    - Fixed school shadowcaster producing odd shadowing on the building itself.

- ZoneType enumerator deprecated and replaced with a Vector. This means that footprints on buildings now is done a bit differently. If you come across a building that can't be placed properly (for example looks as if it is placed between grids) give me a shout!

- Known issues: If you previously had a city in a flat level. Resources required per research item is a bit jumbled up. Research still works properly, except some items will be less costly than they should be.

Hard mode has been added in! This is still not fully tweaked, so more work will be done on this mode. An achievement will be added later on, but only after the mode seems fairly stable and finished.

This version wraps up some previous work on, for example, roads on sloped building blocks etc. Avenues have now been added into this system and should work as expected.

A midbarrier has been added as well! This prevents roads from automatically merging (as illustrated in the images below).

This update fixes a bunch of smaller issues - among them the building hologram not showing red despite trying to place over a block type that doesn't support buildings.

Roads and trams have been added into the material/mesh merger, to improve performance further. I've also fixed roads not automatically adapting when buildings are placed around them (they're supposed to get street lights and pavements when residential, commercial or hotel buildings are placed nearby).

The destruction hologram has been updated to look nicer and to avoid z-fighting. This new system will later on also be used to display buildings red or green depending on whether they like or dislike a nearby building. This will make it easier to know beforehand if a building will be disliked.

Buildings can now also be moved. The exception is stations buildings, as they have a slightly different function. Moving buildings is rather pricey, and depend on building size and density.

13. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

Work on the next update is going well. A sort of unoticable change that has been in the work for a while is a new localization system. Instead of using hard coded files in game, the "official" translations are now read from files in the game folder and the game also checks a localization folder in the save file folder for custom translations.
    This system will make it easier to not only maintain and update the current translations, but also make it easier to add new languages and will improve quality.

On the subject of translations, if you come across something that isn't translated in your language and you know what it is supposed to be, feel free to send a message on Discord - over time the official languages should be complete again. :)

I've continued QoL work, adding the ability to quickly switch from placing a building/road to the demolition mode using the shift key.
    When placing buildings, currently placed buildings will light up red or green depending on whether the prospective building is liked or disliked. This should make it easier to plan cities, especially if you are new to the game.

Ideology building work is still ongoing, with the University of Liberal Philosophy building being more or less finished. I should be able to finish the Center of Tradition building this week as well.

I've found some minor issues with mesh merging - specifically with palm tree avenues and pre placed grass tiles (like in tutorials). These issues have been resolved. An issue with roads connecting through tunnel walls has also been fixed.

Prospectively being added in the upcoming version is a new type of residential building that adapts to neighboring buildings of the same type. I'll be added three densities of 2x2 adaptable residential buildings. These will come in lower, middle and upper class (ie. no mixed types). For 0.72 I'm hoping to have the complete lower class type finished.

14. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

I'm finishing up on the remaining work for the upcoming update. This update will be fairly small as it introduces a whole new type of residential building which has taken quite a bit of work to get working properly - the quarter.

There will be three tiers for these, lower class, middle class and upper class and they will be able to reach three densities (heights). First one out of the gate is the lower class, first density.

Quarters are will allow for denser cities and for more customization as they adapt to surrounding buildings. The lower class quarter building has a high population density and so will allow for building a large lower class population without using up too much space.

Of course, packing many citizens into a small space means police and fire department coverage must be good, as well as education and health care coverage.

Another new addition is a new type of cereal and legume farm. These are costly but highly space efficient farms with high output (higher than greenhouses on less space).

These farms can also be built in middle to upper class neighborhoods without incurring a penalty.

Antypodish likes this.
  15. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

I've continued work on the new residential building type - quarters.

There's now a full three-density set for lower class citizens inspired by eastern european type module housing. The first density houses 80 people, the second 210 and the third 480. The third density is therefore almost equal to the third density for a 4x4 sized residential building. Given a size of 2x2 tiles, these can potentially house a lot of people. The downside is that they have a slightly higher resource use and require a lot of police and fire department coverage.

This week I will be moving on to the middle class quarter building. This will, however, not be quite as focused on packing in lots of citizens as the lower class one.

I'll also be adding in a last block type - a 45 degree angled piece with inner and outer corner pieces.

Antypodish likes this.
  16. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

0.74 will be live in a bit and add in some new buildings and fix a few issues:

0.73 -> 0.74
    - Lower class quarters density 2 and 3 added.
    - Middle class quarters density 1-3 added.
    - New block type added.
    - Sandbox mode added. Cities built in what was formerly the easy mode with infinite money, will no longer have infinite money, but will still be easier. Sandbox mode also unlocks all buildings.
    - Tweaked population count etc. for lower class quarters.

- Fixed being able to place roads over grass tiles on sloped blocks.
    - Fixed block end cap decoration not working on some of the special blocks.
    - Fixed not being able to build (for example grass) decorations on both the rounded and flat side of a special block at the same time.
    - Fixed not being able to place (for example grass) decorations on the rounded corner block.
    - Fixed grass tile (without trees) not saving properly.
    - Fixed missing sound for Quarters when clicked.

First off, the second and third density for the lower class quarter has been added in! There have also been some tweaks to the first density's values. I've also fixed the missing doorbell sound when placing the building or when clicking it.

The middle class quarters are now also in, density one through three! These won't house quite as many citizens as the lower class quarter buildings do, but also do not come with quite as many requirements for policing and fire department coverage etc.

A sandbox mode has been added! That means that the infinite money that was previously available in the easy mode is no more. If you had a city going in easy mode, you will have a tonne of cash, but it will no longer be infinite! Easy mode has a slightly better global economy and a more generous happiness calculation. There are also no disasters.

The sandbox mode has infinite money, and all buildings are unlocked from the start.

A new special block has been added - a 45 degree angled block. This is the last block type to be added before version 1 of the game. There is a small issue with traffic on the 45 degree angled road, but connections work properly otherwise.

I've also fixed some issues where grass tiles could not be placed properly on some of the special blocks. There are a few edge cases left to adress, but overall it should all work much better now.

17. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello,

0.75 will be live in a bit, adding in some new stuff and fixing some bugs.

0.74 -> 0.75
    - Added (yet another) block type (now it's the last one!). Matching roads etc. to come.
    - Night lighting for quarters added.
    - Mansions added. Some currently missing textures, but they be in soon :)

- Added redundancy if resolutions are not loaded properly.

- Fixed car movement on 45 degree road.
    - Fixed issue where placement on special blocks would be prioritised to non-flat surfaces.
    - Fixed incorrect difficulty settings on templates and campaign levels.
    - Fixed quarters not spawning vehicles.
    - Fixed campaign menu header title in main menu.
    - Fixed autoplaced road tiles in tunnels not adjusting to surrounding roads properly.
    - Fixed middle class quarter density 3 growth bug.

Mansions have been added. These are bigger residential lots for upper class citizens, they are costly to plop and have fairly high demands, but once fully implemented (which will be in 0.76), will be able to be used for wealth tax income etc.

I decided to add in 4 variations, but two are still untextured. It was better to do it this way, so that there is more variation even initially. The remaining textures will be in for the next version!.

A flatter type of slanted block has been added. I'm still working on the grass variation and roads to be placed on them.

Lighting has been added for the recently included quarter building types! The remaining upper class quarter is slated for 0.76.

Lastly, the change in difficulties recently made the difficulty level of the campaign levels and the templates skewed towards easy, this has now been fixed, as have a couple of other annoyances I've found.

Antypodish likes this.
  18. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

The holiday season is upon us, but work on the year's last update is still ongoing! 0.76 is expected to go live sometime around the middle of the week and will feature the full set of mansion textures:

Upper class citizens living in a mansion will provide additional tax income if wealth tax is enabled - if not they pay the regular upper class tax.

The remaining quarter type, upper class, is underway.

This is a sort of parisian style building that, like the lower class and middle class quarter, has 3 densities.

I'm hoping to get a bunch of other goodies in for the next update as my ordinary work is (almost) done for the year. :)

19. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

The year is coming to a close, and so the last update for the year is now live! There's been a lot of progress with the game over the year - some features I had planned to finish didn't make it, while other changes I had not planned for made it in instead. My goal for next year is to increase the dev pace a bit and finish up the remainder of todo-list (which is shrinking! Promise!)

0.76 is a fairly small update in terms of new items, but each set of quarters features 15 buildings, so it is quite time intense to make them.

With the upper class quarters now done, there is a set for each citizen tier - lower class, middle class and upper class.

I've found that this residential type is quite "powerful", in that they hold a lot of citizens for a fairly low cost. Because of this, I've decided they will be a special feature for different sets of ideologies, once the system is completely finished. So they can be unlocked using the 8 different ideologies.

Another thing I'm planning, is for there to be another worker type - scientists. These will be output from universities at the rate of 1 per 10 lower class workers, 1 per 5 middle class workers and 1 per 3 upper class workers. In other words, some workers will essentially be converted to the scientist class worker. The scientist class is then employed in certain high tech industry and certain special buildings, like the lab.

This is primarily to add a bit more depth into education systems in the game. That is, instead of just ensuring education coverage, universities essentially output labour resources that are essential for certain things to function.

This change will be in for the next update. On the subject of updates, I will be moving towards updating the game every three weeks (instead of two), since mostly, requests for certain features have been infrequent and some of the remaining items on the todo list are rather time consuming.

20. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

Xmas and new years came and went and work on the game is now back to normal.

I'm planning on getting the next version, 0.77, out the 24th of january. A lot of work at the moment is focused on the remaining ideology buildings, so I can get that system into the game. But I will get some other minor features added in as well.

Among them the grass, road and tram pieces for the 22,5 degree slope block.

I'll be updating some icons for clarity, especially those relating to mission objectives etc.

I'm doing another pass of optimizations, this time in the calculation as well as connectivity threads.
    There will also be some additional hints added into the building info, for example the population level required for a zone to grow.

The ideology building Center of Tradition is finished!

This building will boost culture in the city and locally, and boost upper class residential quarter buildings nearby.

21. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

Missed the previous log, as I've been under a very heavy work load. As such, this update will also be quite short.

The upcoming version is underway and I will have the game updated later this week to add a couple of fixes - for example placing trams on sloped roads not working as intended and avenue roads not reverting to regular roads when trams are placed on them.

Primarily, I've continued work on ideology related buildings, and now only have a handfull left, which I should be able to finish up fairly soon. After that, I will move on with testing the ideology system in general and start finalizing the perks of each ideology.

A new sanctuary type building will be added in come next update. This one will provide more culture, but be slightly larger and cost a bit more. Overall it will add a bit of variety.

I will also be making a change to the happiness system a bit to accomodate for the implementation of the ideology system. Currently it is calculated from a bunch of individual variables such as tax rate, crime levels as a total and implemented policies.
    After the change, happiness will be based on the average local effects of crime, education etc. and then use policies as a multiplied factor.

The great museum of history is finished. This building will add entertainment in traditionally minded socities (conservatives) and boost upper class quarters.

The Grand Library is also finished. This building boosts education city-wide alongside the University of Liberal Philosophy in liberal minded socities.

Most of the ideology buildings provide both a local effect, such as boosting local education or culture, but also a citywide effect such as boosting labour output or similar. If an ideology building is placed and the city then converts to an ideology that doesn't support the building, the building will automatically convert to a historical site, boosting culture.

22. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

Work continues on the remainder of the ideology buildings. I'm hoping to get the whole system launched in a few weeks. After that I will start adding in unique decorations for each ideology (they're not vital for the system itself, so it can be done afterwards).

The treasury building is now finished. This is a liberal building that is geared at improving tax uptake.
    Like other ideology buildings, it will also boost surrounding zones. In this case commercial zones.

The museum of labour is also finished. This is an ideology building for ideologies to the left. It boosts residential zones and provides an increased culture output and also increases labour output slightly.

The devlogs have been a bit sporadic lately, but that should hopefully be fixed soon, as I'm getting a slightly more normal work load at work from now on.

23. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

Work is progressing quite well on the upcoming first iteration of the ideology system. In brief, the way it's going to function is that once a city has a city hall, a customs house and a national bank, as well as fulfills certain conditions (city size etc.), it will be able to convert to a city state, from an ordinary city. This will make the city enter into a period of revolution, after which you will be able to select an ideology.

Each ideology comes with a set of pros and cons, special perks, and will unlock a set of specific buildings and decorations. Each of the buildings will provide bonuses as long as the current ideology is active. If the city goes through another revolution to change its ideology, the building will convert to a historical site and output culture that boosts tourism.

Each building's effects etc. is still undergoing tweaks, and will get additional perks, but in general this is what each new building will do:

Authoritarian buildings (Communism, Authoritarianism and Fascism)

The surveillance center will boost output from police stations. It also functions as a police station of sorts itself.

The propaganda center cuts the cost of implementing crime related policies.

Liberal buildings (Libertarian Socialism, Liberalism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism)

The media center boosts the maximum tourism capacity in the city. It also outputs culture. Texturing still underway. :)

The university of liberal philosophy cuts the cost of universities across the city and acts as a university as well, outputting scientists.

Conservative/traditionalist buildings (Fascism, Conservatism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism)

The center of tradition boosts culture output across the city and functions as an educational building (similar to a museum).

The house of constitution cuts the cost of business-related policy. The building acts as a wealth building, boosting value in surrounding neighborhoods.

Progressive/left buildings (Communism, Progressivism, Libertarian Socialism)

The treasury boost residential tax uptake and lowers tax related unhappiness.

The house of unions buildings cuts the cost of labour policy.

Order buildings (Communism, Authoritarianism)

The house of beaurocracy building boosts the effect of policies slightly.

The grand arena cuts the cost of baseball and football fields as well as tennis courts. It also acts as a stadium.

Economy buildings (Liberalism, Laissez Faire liberalism)

The stock exchange increases tax uptake from commercial buildings.

The grand library cuts costs of libraries city wide. It is also a library building in and of itself (roughly thrice the output of a normal library).

Tradition buildings (Fascism, Conservatism)

The grand place of worship boosts happiness across the city. It also functions as a sanctuary, boosting culture. (untextured in image)

The great museum of history cuts the cost of museums across the city. It is also a museum building, roughly 3x a normal museum.

Solidarity buildings (Progressivism, Libertarian socialism)

The institute of public health boosts output from clinics and hospitals.

The revolutionary plaza cuts the cost of plaza "buildings" and decorations.

As mentioned, there will be additional perks for each building, added in as everything gets tweaked over time.

24. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!

After spending time mainly ironing out bugs and adding in QoL improvements, I'm now back to a proper update schedule starting with adding in additional ideology-related decorations and expanding on energy production options.
    I've also got another tutorial and some additional refinement planned, which should make it in for next update.

In this update.

0.81 -> 0.82
    - Fixed destruction indication not working on recently added pipes.
    - Fixed midbarriers not working together with pipes and pipes not adapting properly around mid barriers.
    - 6x6 carbon power plant added.
    - 6x6 solar power plant added.
    - 4x4 solar power plant overhauled.
    - Small order decoration added

- Minor adjustments to difficulty settings
    - Optimizations to road calculations
    - Minor adjustments to midbarrier colliders and an asortment of buildings colliders that were slightly too large.

As mentioned above, the 4x4 solar power plant has been overhauled. I wanted to use the circular version for the 6x6, so I decided to give the 4x4 version a different look.

The circular version has been scaled up and refined a bit:

The carbon power plant gets a 6x6 version as well:

The larger versions become available as the city grows larger, as they require upkeep that isn't viable when a city is small. They produce way more power for less resources and less foot print.

The ideology decorations have started being added in, starting with revolution and order decorations:

S

Antypodish likes this.