Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2018 Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EternalAmbiguity, Jun 12, 2018.

1. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Surprised this hadn't been made yet. I suppose we haven't had the main event yet, but we've had all of the conferences, and I think there's stuff worth discussing there.

Feel free to ignore the following and just post your own impressions if the length is too intimidating
    :p

Electronic Arts: Thought their conference was awful. Battlefield 5 gets a short trailer and no real gameplay. Considering that the game is almost totally about multiplayer, why didn't they showcase that at all? Sports games got nothing but a mention--I don't ever play the games, but it seems weird that they didn't do anything more than 1-2 minute trailers. In the past they've been far more in-depth. Battlefront 2 gets a guy on stage just talking about new things, nothing actually shown; the Respawn Star Wars game gets even more confusing with an awkward name reveal by a guy sitting in the audience rather than actually being on stage, and nothing shown there either. They spend a fair amount of time on indies, which is cool but not what I'm really expecting from an AAA publisher. They spend possibly the most time (outside of Anthem) on a mobile game, demoing it on stage. So, so strange. Then Anthem of course. Have to say, as a fan of Bioware's single player offerings, if they know anything they know how to world-build. The Gods have departed and left behind their enormous tools, which interfere somehow with something called the "Anthem of Creation"...and then let's run around and murder things with little but quaint references to these story elements. Just odd. Just seemed very sparse to me.

EA and Square Enix were the only ones where I watched the actual conference so for most of the rest I just checked various sites to see what had been announced.

Microsoft: Some real surprises here, especially with the studio acquisitions. I would not in a million years have expected them to buy Ninja Theory. I enjoyed DmC when I played it, so I'll be interested in what they do in the future. Forza Horizon looks great, as usual. Apparently a new Halo game is teased, though it seems to be a very long ways off. I've never cared at all about the Gears of War franchise, but I may look into their tactics game. We'll see what happens there. Devil May Cry 5! Looked very good, which seems to be standard form for Capcom engines. As someone who is kind of un-ironically interested in the story of the series, I'm interested in where this game will go, given some of the things rumored about the trailer. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: I didn't watch the trailer--I'm already interested just because of the past two games, so I didn't feel any compulsion to go out of my way there; I think I know what I'm getting. Kingdom hearts shows up. Have to say the Disney characters look really, really good. Though any time a KH character starts speaking I'm left amazed the franchise has a fanbase. And of course, Cyberpunk 2077. Looked very interesting, but didn't give any hints at all as to how the game will play.

Bethesda: I didn't watch any of their trailers. I have no interest in Doom or Wolfenstein or Prey. Fallout interests me, but not an online multiplayer-looking experience. The only interesting things here were the two things with nothing but extremely vague teasers, TES6 and Starfield. I'd imagine next E3 might have further info there.

Devolver: Not interested, in any way, shape, or form.

Square Enix: Seemed very strange to me. Didn't see much of anything here that really "deserved" them having their own separate video. Dragon Quest looks delightfully carefree. The physics simulation of Just Cause 4 sounds cool, but I personally don't really care about playing around with it. I bought JC 2 many years ago, but never got into it. Quite interested in Bablyon's Fall, simply because Platinum. The Quiet Man seemed very strange (not so much interesting, just strange), but the description on Steam makes it seem like a short FMV game, which isn't my thing at all. Dontnod is back again with a free demo-sort-of-thing for Life Is Strange 2, which seems kind of fun. The way they describe it, as giving hints for LiS2 and as changing when you replay it, makes it definitely seem intriguing. Again, not much here really deserving of its own special video. They could have had left Alive, which is supposed to come out this year, as well as Final Fantasy VII Remake, and maybe a couple more teases. Seemed sparse.

Ubisoft: Initially I tried to watch the stream, so I caught the beginning with a dancing panda and a bunch of people in extremely garish costumes. Coke is a heck of a drug. Beyond Good and Evil 2: not a fan of the hyper-realistic anthropomorphic animals, at all, but that first trailer was very good. The scale of everything as the female character was racing back to the ship was so...majestic. I have no idea how the game will end up, but it does seem very cool. AC Odyssey seems moderately interesting to me. As someone whose main interest in the series is the story, the bit I saw didn't seem like it advanced that in any meaningful way. Course it's the first showing so the jury isn't out yet.

PC Gaming Show: Yakuza on PC! I was super, super excited by this. Most exciting thing for E3 for me, honestly. I've heard so much about the series; I'm pumped to finally try it out. Haven't watched any other trailers from the show but from what I've heard Star Control Origins, and Genesis Alpha One, both sound interesting. From what I read, the audience audibly responded negatively to the announcement for Star Citizen, which I find highly amusing. I like the sound of Two point Hospital, with the goofy disease names.

Sony: I don't own a PS4 and never will, but I did watch the trailers for Kingdom Hearts 3, the Spiderman game, and Death Stranding. First half of the KH3 trailer with the Pirates stuff was pretty cool. The second half with the actual plot stuff was once again gibberish. If this series was on PC I'd try it, just to see the craziness for myself. The actual gameplay for the Spiderman game seemed kind of fun, though it was packed with scripted scenes in true Sony fashion. Spoilers, I guess: the part with the four previous villains all popping out of the woodwork like whack-a-mole was amusing, as was the attempt at drama at the very end with the "You?!" moment.

For Death Stranding, I'm just going to kind of post what I was thinking as I watched the trailer. Spoilers obviously.

Did I just see baby butt? Oh look, it's the extremely vague conversation between two people saying things the audience doesn't know. This definitely isn't poor directing. Okay...so he's just walking around. What is this? That thing following him looks kind of cool. This seems terribly purposeless, but kind of relaxing and peaceful in a way, because the environment is so pretty. Oh look, it's story time again. Who thought that hands as feet was anything but a joke? Why is she holding her finger to her lips to shush him when he wasn't even making any sound? And then she goes out of her way to wait five seconds before doing the hand-over-the-mouth thing, to ensure that the monster can detect them before magically being unable to, and magically being dumb enough to not check for them by swinging around a paw or something. And why do these people not wait, like, any time at all after the monster moves away before opening their mouths and breathing? You'd think it was still close enough to notice. Okay, more dialog. A lot of this is garbage, but the point about the crater is kind of nice, given that previous info mentioned that. And it's kind of cool to get the idea of how the "baby radar" thing starts. Hang on, how is this baby inside this tube but also inside his throat? I'm so confused. Oh wait, actual gameplay again. This seems kind of interesting. Nice to see the things for once. Those chords seem like umbilical chords to me. Hang on, why did the radar start making a different noise even though the shadowy forms are no closer? Putting the hands over the mouth--I bet this is an actual mechanic that you press a button to do. Hang on, how did the thing detect him when he had his hand over his mouth, when previously, like in that cutscene, that was all that was necessary to fool the things? A bunch of hands pulling him down, okay whatever. Hmm. another character reveal that is hyped by the music and the cinematography but the audience can't possibly know. This definitely isn't poor directing.

TL;DR: Gameplay bits seem kind of interesting, story bits seem a little more coherent than before but still firmly in "coke is a heck of a drug" territory.

Well that was...a lot of text. I don't blame anyone who skipped that, but feel free to talk about what you saw that interested you.

chingwa likes this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

I'm looking forward to Dying Light 2, I really enjoyed the first one.

I was impressed by Ghost of Tsushima, so much love to details it seems.
    At the end of the video, when they both fight, even the tree-leaves on the ground respond to character movements.

Everything else I saw from E3 so far was not sooo interesting to me. Unfortunately, as a huge Wolfenstein fan, not even that one!

Meltdown likes this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I'm a bit interested in Dying Light 2, but if it's just more of the same, I don't think I'll get a lot from it. I already played that enough and know exactly what to expect. This whole idea of player choice = drastic story consequences, it's kind of bullsh*t if you think about it. You aren't changing anything. The game remains exactly the same. You are just altering what dialogue and cutscenes will play later. I guess that would be cool if the story was worthwhile, but come on, it's a zombie game. Did anybody get into the story in the original?

That samurai game looks awesome visually, but that seems to be the thing with games lately. They are becoming more visually stunning, but gameplay mechanics and design theories are at best stagnating, and it seems most the time to be actually retrogressing in lieu of more time/budget put into the art/cinematics. Sure, the trailer looks super impressive, but watching the gameplay and translating that into me actually playing the game, I get the impression there is a small degree of control that the player actually has, and the design is more about making an easily impressed gamer feel like they are a mega-badass, rather than creating real tension and triumph with a thoughtfully designed challenge. Beating another samurai in a one versus one dual with a single draw from the hilt strike should be a display of masterful timing on the players part, not just some willy nilly thing. I mean, FFS it is clear that the artistic design is coming from the classics like Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, etc. The great thing about those movies was the drawn out tension preceding the duels. Not a single invincible dude chopping people up like whack a mole. This felt more like a Jackie Chan movie than a classic samurai film.

The Last of Us 2, I guess that's about as interested as I'll get about any games this year. Though I probably won't play it. I liked the original for the tense, tactical gameplay you got from the highest difficulty, and the multiplayer was superb. I appreciate the art design coming from Naughty Dog as well. Nobody makes more cohesive works of video game art, as far as I can tell. But I don't care anything about Ellie or Joel. Can anybody explain what was endearing about Ellie? She didn't say or do much. She was just kind of there. I mean, I guess if you are into teenage girls she is kind of cute? I don't know, I'm not a big creep. Joel, I guess he was supposed to be a very realistic human type of guy, but all I got from him is that overdone tough guy persona you see in every cop show. Like, 20 years ago I had a majorly bad thing happen in my life, so now I can only mumble and growl. FFS man, just kill yourself already if you're that miserable. I may have liked him more if he could just actually be a real tough guy and give Ellie a stinking hug and tell her he loves her.

**side note : just noticed Ellie 2.0 has tattoos. Because tough-guys always gotta have tattoo's right? Sigh. And, after watching the full trailer, I think I'll pass. Ellie has become a caricature of herself, and I don't like the hyper-violence as a means to make her seem extra badass.

I found the story in the original to be pretty generic and the characters uninteresting. I know, that's sacrilege. But I think games can do a lot better than this in terms of storytelling and creating memorable characters. Anyway, if they avoid the unnecessarily flashy gameplay and stick the tense, only-one-bullet-left gameplay, I'll be happy and sing the praises.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Billy4184 likes this.
  4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I saw a comment recently where someone said they "tested" games by imagining them with PS1 graphics, and considering if they'd still be interested in playing. Kind of a good idea I think.

chingwa and Ony like this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Tbh, it all looks boring to me. Edgy people wandering around looting stuff and slicing and dicing their enemies. Doesn't anyone express ideas through games anymore?

I was looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima and it's a really beautiful game, but I feel there's nothing incredibly different in gameplay or overall approach compared to Uncharted or Assassin's creed. As soon as I see all this wandering around in a crouch through hip-high grass, flitting up carefully dilapidated walls and jumping down on top of randomly wandering guards with an IQ below freezing point I sort of zone out a bit. When you have characters doing everything the same (and somewhat ridiculously), in settings all the way from ancient Japan to Naboo, it starts to make reality seem a bit claustrophobic.

6. ptcmia

ptcmia

I am getting tired of the hiding in waist high bushes/grass also. Especially just how much stealth you get from it. Moving around in a bush has to be the loudest thing ever.

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Yeah, it's an idiotic gameism, the crouching in grass.

Actually, just crouching = stealth in general is stupid. It was Splinter Cell (a game that I loved) that started this foolishness. Has anybody ever tried walking around like that? Kind of hard to be quiet when you are walking in a half squat. Same with the hollywood back-to-wall firefight pose. Why would you turn your back to the enemy so that you have to spin all the way around to then shoot? It makes zero sense, but somebody started it and everybody follows. Funnily, Counter-Strike is a more realistic (and tense, engaging fun) portrayal than most "realistic" shooters.

Stealth games should be about careful observation, and then capitalizing on brief opportunities with a high risk of failure. Stealth should be tense, not boring with brief moments of hollywood action flair.

Ah well, games will continue to follow these trends until somebody introduces something new and it makes money. Then that will get bastardized, done to death, and so on. Back to work.

Billy4184 likes this.
  8. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Did you look at Death Stranding? Any opinions on that?

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have you tried strafing in real life? Games are intended to be fun. Tack on too much realism and the fun goes away.

10. ptcmia

ptcmia

I don't think making the person slightly hunched over, like you would do naturally to sneak around, would make it less fun.

11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I don't disagree, but these are just silly cosmetic things. The worst part about it is that most people don't know the difference between reality and gameisms/hollwoodsisms. Like my wife thought car doors would stop bullets, because have you even seen a movie without bullet proof cars? Yes, this might seem ridiculous, but sometimes a person goes crazy and shoots people at random, and so its probably a useful thing for people to know what will and won't stop bullets.

The crouch walking in grass, by itself it's not a big deal, but when the gameplay itself is hyper dumbed down, you start noticing all stuff like this. And when everybody keeps reiterating the same dumb concepts, you get an impression that little novel thought is going into these games, and thus you shouldn't expect anything more than the updated pretty graphics.

Take Horizon Zero Dawn. I made it about one hour after the tutorial before shelving that game. In the tutorial section, you got introduced to an ability to scan the ground to see the exact paths enemies would be walking. You had to get to a spot undetected, crouch walking through grass to get there. Keep in mind, these are futuristic machines. You'd kind of expect IR vision or something, but you can literally walk right past them if they are facing the other way, or be two inches in front of them unseen so long as you are in tall grass. The challenge is nonexistent. You don't need the scanner whatsoever. You can just walk straight to the goal with minimal effort. Much effort has been made by the animators and artist to make the character look tense and uncertain, but what does player feel? Boredom. It's like they are showing a pretty painting and expecting player to become fully immersed just because its such a beautiful painting. But this is supposed to be a game!

Yeah, i get that the game doesn't necessarily need to be super challenging. But there needs to be something to call it a game. Instead of having player wlaking through a field with twenty enemies first thing in the tutorial, and having no trouble getting past them, consider having a single enemy in the field but increase its senses enough to make it somewhat difficulty to get past it. Then player respects the enemy, and much later in the game if player has to sneak past multiple enemies, they may actually need the UI helpers and also rely on their own increased skill/knowledge of the game.

TL:DR -- crouch-walking is a good indication that devs put little original thought into the gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. CDF

CDF

So many cinematics. I'm always amazed that gameplay is this last thing to release for game teasers.
    Anyway here are my thoughts:

EA - Terrible
    Square Enix - Nothing special
    Nintendo - Missed opportunity, where's Metroid?
    Bethesda - Looking forward to seeing how Fallout 76 plays, excited for Doom and Starfield
    Ubisoft - Pirate game looks awesome, don't really care about Assassins creed. Beyond good and evil? Never heard of it, but the CGI was good ;)
    Microsoft - Halo Infinite, yes please
    Sony - No crazy reveals (RE2 maybe). But they showed nice juicy game play. So they win.

Overall think this year was pretty good. Can't wait for the E3 cringe compilations.

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  13. CDF

CDF

Also, any Unity games at E3 this year? Hard to tell when there's no "Made with Unity" logo :(

14. Billy4184

Billy4184

Overall I like it. Even with Kojima's melodramatic tendencies, all his games have a powerfully real atmosphere, with the character struggling to carry some purpose larger than themselves through a messy world, and getting half-ruined in the process. That's a million times more compelling than the rest of what passes for stories in games these days.

From what I can tell, it's going to be a sort of lonely crusade through the wilderness, which is perfectly fine with me. I'm actually quite happy about the idea of it being more of a walking simulator (at least for large parts of the game) than an assassin's creed 'jumping around' sort of thing. I'll be interested to know what sort of game mechanics are going to show up.

I think that the trailer seemed a bit rushed though, and didn't communicate anything very efficiently (even in terms of mystery and intrigue). I thought the way that the female character was introduced was a bit haphazard and didn't create a lot of meaning - at least compared to someone like Quiet in MGS. She just seemed like a random sidekick with no backstory. For the first real character introduction besides the main player, I thought it was a bit disappointing.

Other than that, I'm fascinated by it and I hope it turns out to be the kind of game you'd expect from HK given creative freedom.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Underworld Ascendant.

CDF likes this.
  16. trenken

trenken

MS had a great show. Sony and Nintendo were pretty bad this year. I have no opinion on what I saw with Death Stranding. I still have no idea what the game actually is. Looks like a hiking simulator so who knows.

Fallout 76 looks really great though. Overall not a whole lot that im excited about. RDR2 is on my radar, if it actually comes out this year. R* is notorious for last minute delays.

17. chingwa

chingwa

Thank You. I had not heard the news. I've been waiting forever for this series to come to PC!

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  18. chingwa

chingwa

I'm looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima, even though I won't be playing it. I have no interest in buying a console :D I have a number of nitpicks with what was shown, being the Japan history nerd that I am, but I'm just really excited to see a well produced game set in Old Japan that doesn't have magical ninja super warriors in it. Maybe in 10 years I'll be able to play it with a PS4 emulator. (or maybe, just maybe, they'll release it on PC a year or two after release?)