Search Unity

Dynamically resize container based on content

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by Marble, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Marble

Marble

I'm working with the GraphView and am adding some wrapping text content to the Node.extensionContainer visual element. In USS (attached), I can set the node style to a fixed height, which works for a certain amount of content, but I'd like their height to resize based on the text – so it neither cuts off nor exceeds the size of the elements inside it. I'm finding the behavior of my current stylesheet to be inconsistent even across instances of the same visual elements with the same style (image attached). Can anyone help me find the correct properties I should be manipulating?

The #node id is that of the node.

The #extension id is that of the GraphView.Node.extensionContainer.

The #nodeDescription id is that of the wrapping text underneath the node around which I would like the node height to fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

I would revert the flex-basis back to auto. You shouldn't need to mess with flex-basis in this case. If the node has a fixed width, the text should just increase the height, given Wrap is enabled. Text will always mess with flex. Or rather, flex thinks text is a divine entity and will do all it can to make it fit, including completely ignoring flex-basis or flex-grow.

Do also make sure your #extension and/or #nodeDescription have flex-shrink set to 0 (it is set to 1 by default). This will prevent the opposite problem.

3. Marble

Marble

Thanks for not only taking the time to advise but to look at my specific case, too. It is appreciated!

uDamian likes this.