Search Unity

Dynamically changing material, but sharing it among GameObjects

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by kleinfb, Oct 28, 2014.

1. kleinfb

kleinfb

Hey guys... question is simple...

I have 100 different visual GameObjects (let us say blue cubes) which have the exact same mesh... they all share de same material, lots of draw calls saved. Now, I want to change the material in 4 of them (to change their color, since changing the color of a shared material would affect all other materials...), in runtime. But I would like to keep sparing draw calls... the deal is that I well... I am not being able to achieve it.

Anyone knows the steps to achieve that sort of behaviour? If more info about my case is needed, I will gladly provide, but I do not think it is...

Code (CSharp):
    1. gameObject.renderer.material.color = cellSelectedColor;
    This is what I am trying for now... I am changing the color, and I believe that it dynamically creates a new material for each gameObject..

Thanks in advance...

2. DoomSamurai

DoomSamurai

Do not ever use the "material" property, even just to check the content of the variable. Instead, use "sharedMaterial".

Also, I think you cannot directly set it's color, it probably creates a separate instance. You need to create an instance of a material at runtime and make sure all the objects that you want to share this matertial use this specific instance. Maybe with a static Material variable or something.

kleinfb likes this.
  3. DoomSamurai

DoomSamurai

4. kleinfb

kleinfb

@DoomSamurai thanks for the info!
    I will try the runtime material creation, and I will report back (Y)

You got me curious though... what is the reason for never using "material" property?

Thanks, a bunch!

5. DoomSamurai

DoomSamurai

If you access the material property, even if it's just a getter, it creates an instance material for your mesh and replaces the sharedMaterial. This cause Dynamic Batching to break. I don't know why that is so, I guess Unity internally creates a material when the "material' property is accessed for the first time. I ran into this problem for my hexagon grid!

kleinfb likes this.
  6. kleinfb

kleinfb

Thanks a bunch again fellow (Y)