Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic Volumetric Lighting replacement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Lexie, Jan 11, 2016.

1. elbows

elbows

I cannot speak for Lexie. But in general I dont think people stuck on 5.x can expect all that much love from developers working on modern graphics stuff for Unity that is still quite far from being in release shape. There will be various exceptions, but especially in areas where developers have struggled with various limits of unity & unitys built in rendering pipeline, a lot of the stuff Unity are adding in modern versions is going to be where some of the important action is in future and the ability to ensure some backwards unity compatibility is going to be severely curtailed by that for some products.

Right now it is far from clear how quickly the new pipelines will be adopted by many, how many pipeline variants people release, and how various authors of existing and future assets deal with this evolving landscape. I'm sure Lexie isnt the only one waiting to see how the HD pipeline turns out and whether their own efforts are now mostly obsolete or something that could still augment the unity HD pipeline nicely.

I dont think I would feel the need to make these comments in the same way if we were talking about an asset that is close to being released but I think you might have the wrong impression of what stage Lexie reached in terms of having this stuff ready for release. But I might well be confused myself, since this thread has covered a few different things Lexie has worked on and I could easily end up talking at cross-purposes.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows

Oops it looks like I was indeed confused by recent talk about GI and other lighting stuff and features that have been developed in prototype and not released, and had forgotten about the volumetric stuff which has been released for a long time now and is the main subject of this thread. And I've been a happy user of it too, although I am easily distracted by other alternatives, and am myself in something of a limbo waiting to see what the HD pipeline future is like and what the future of 3rd party volumetric assets will be.

3. skyecrack

skyecrack

@elbows I agree about everything, except, well, I was talking about the cached shadows/deferred/forward+ replacements for default unity lighting, not the volumetric fog and the GI stuff. For all I know he already implemented it in one of the games he's working on (with a pre-SRP Unity version) and it is doing what it's supposed to do. Good enough for me :)

4. jefferytitan

jefferytitan

This may be digging up the past, but did anything ever come of the optimised lighting/shadow system? Does the branch exist? Is it totally irrelevant now with the massive changes in 2017/2018? I have an old procedural game that I worked on that I'd really like to spruce up some time with performance improvements, GI and the new post processing stack. Being procedural, Lexie's lighting system + SEGI might achieve wonders.

5. Ardeal

Ardeal

Hello, Your assets ar Awasome. I Have one question this work on URP ?