Search Unity

Dynamic Skybox

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SaphiBlue, Dec 29, 2019.

1. SaphiBlue

SaphiBlue

Hello there,

I'm experimenting around with the HDRP for a little while now.
    The default Procedual Skyshader does very nice job for most daytime effects.

But now I ran into a Problem.

The Movement of the sun in the Sky is very nice but the sky is completly black during the night.

So I setup a different Global Volume with the Night skybox which is an HDRI cubemap (basicly stars and some nebular).

Now I have the problem, I cannot slowly blend between the Skyboxes. soon the the night-volume has a weight greater then 0 the night sky is fully visible.

I think the problem comes form the fact, that I using a procedual Sky for the daytime and an HDRI sky for the night.

I thoughts are now gonig to make an costum setup for the sky with an camera that renders an cubemap, but I think there is very much performance wasted just for rendering a skybox that way.

Does someone have similar experiance with skyboxes and the HDRP, or know a workflow how to make a dynamic skybox with a day/night cycle?

2. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi,
    The procedural sky is replaced by the Physical Sky in Unity 19.3 with HDRP 7.1+ versions.
    The physical sky is still experimental but it lets you use a HDRI for stars at night.
    I recommend to use HDRP version 7.1.7 to avoid a performance issue we had in prior versions.

If you wish to stick to Procedural sky you could add a sphere in your scene for the stars with an unlit additive material sampling the HDRI cubemap using the view vector as UVs. You would have to use shader graph to author this shader.

SaphiBlue and konsic like this.