Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic Resolution Heap size bug on some iOS devices.

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Alterego-Games, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Hi guys,

I've found a bug in the Heap size of the screenbuffer textures that get created when you enable "Allow Dynamic Resolution" on a camera. I've created a totally empty test project, created a script that sets the ScalableBufferManager.ReziseBuffers(0.8f,0.8f) and created a few test builds on iOS on an iPhone XS & iPhone X.

In the attached screenshots you can see the GPU memory of both iPhones with Dynamic resolution On and Off.

You can see that the Heapsize of the first heap on the iPhone X with Dynamic resolution On is 40mb, the same build has a heapsize of 13.9mb on the iPhone XS.

With Dynamic resolution off the texture has a different name, but I guess it is the topmost texture called (Texture:0s103c41d30), because its size is almost the same as the total heapsize of the heap on the iPhone XS build.

This is a total gamebreaker for a iOS project of mine, because that projects has quite a few temp screenbuffers and reaches the memory limit very fast on an iPhone X, while its not getting close to the (same) memory limit on an iPhone XS.

Hope someone has an idea on how to circumvent this, I've also reported it as a bug.

iPhone X - Dynamic Resolution On
    Dynamic Resolution On - iPhone X.jpg
    iPhone XS - Dynamic Resolution On
    Dynamic Resolution On - iPhone XS.jpg
    iPhone X - Dynamic Resolution Off
    Dynamic Resolution Off - iPhone X.jpg
    iPhone XS - Dynamic Resolution Off
    Dynamic Resolution Off - iPhone XS.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    joshuacwilde likes this.
  2. joshuacwilde

joshuacwilde