Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic RayCast System - C# Jobs upgrade is available !

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vagabond_, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, the system does not build acceleration structures. It would take a lot more memory and time to build the structure to the point that does not really make sense. So the system iterates the triangles but still it's really fast for what it is doing ! Some stuff is multithreaded and it does use Jobs system !

If you have more questions let me know
    Cheers

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Does this system just have a simple Raycast against a SkinnedMeshRenderer method, if so does it need a lot of setting up per object, and can that setup be done from script. I am just needing a single raycast per frame to an animated skinmesh and it needs to work on Mobile as well.

3. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi,

1 The system supports simple raycast against skinned mesh yes

2. Setup is simple, you add a component and drag and drop references to the skinned renderer and the root of the object ( which may be the same game object ) You can also call a method to do the setup from your script

3. It works on mobile devices yes, it's just your mesh poly count should be reasonable ( it has it's own LOD system though ) !

4. Supports Jobs+Burst and IL2CPP

Fibonaccov likes this.
  4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks for that, how does it compare speed wise to Super Raycaster, the mesh only has 4000 vertices and 6100 tris. I was using Super Raycast but it seems to have issues and not getting any response from the author so looking for an alternative.

Vagabond_ likes this.
  5. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I haven't touch Super Raycast !
    4000 verts is nothing for Desktop machine and i did test raycasts on such mesh on an old mobile device a long ago, so it should work... even better, you can load a low poly mesh to use for raycast in the LOD slot of the entry in editor or from script... you loose a little bit of precision but it will boost performance !

If you want give it a try and if it doesn't do the job for you, you can ask for refund !

Fibonaccov likes this.
  6. mboog12

mboog12

Hi, i'm interested in this asset as an alternative to using jobs and Raycast2D, since RaycastCommand does not support Physics2D.
    Does this asset support 2d raycasts? Thank you.

7. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, no, it works for 3D only.

mboog12 likes this.