Search Unity

Dynamic (particle physics) rain on windscreen

Discussion in 'Physics' started by SomerenV, May 5, 2015.

1. SomerenV

SomerenV

Hey all,

I was looking at some Driveclub videos and I still can't believe how good the rain effect in that game looks. I know it's been asked a lot of times if this effect can be recreated but nowhere is a good answer given, other than "use an animated texture, it might look alright".

So, on reddit I found something interesting on this subject.
    "Gonna guess a simple 2D particle sim with some low cost technique to get a metaball like effect then just build a normal map from that for a displacement shader."

"Cheap 2D metaball = render particles to an empty texture with a big fuzzy particle image, then threshold."

1: Simulate dynamic 2D particles
    2: Make the particles react to the velocity and direction of the car
    3: Make the particles interact with windscreen wipers
    4: Use a blur and threshold to kinda create metaballs
    5 (bonus): Let the moving particles leave a trail, so it looks like rain running down a windshield

Last but not least: make the ripples displace what you see behind your windshield and blur it a little bit, to make it look a bit more real.

I think all these things can be done relatively easily, except maybe for 3D wipers interaction with 2D particles. Problem is, I'm not a programmer. I can model 3D stuff, I can make textures, heck, I can even record and edit sounds. Also, I'm not asking you guys to solve this for me but rather for the community as a whole, just to make Unity that little bit better. Driveclub is the only game so far that has this kind of dynamic and realistic rain, so why not show that Unity can also pull it off?

Lets push it a bit further, because what if we as a community can pull this off? What's the best way to show it off? I was thinking of using the vehicle example of Unity 5 just to keep it easy on that side, and create a track that looks a bit like what you see in that Driveclub video. It's not really hard to make and that is something I would be able to do. Use the Lux Wetness shader from larsbertram1 to create realistic wet roads, combine it with SSR shader from Kode80 for realistic reflections and just create stunning visual demo with Unity.

I know you guys love creating amazing stuff with Unity, so why not try to recreate an effect that a lot of people really (REALLY) love? Who's in? :D

mgear likes this.
  2. thienohs

thienohs

3. SomerenV

SomerenV

Yeah I saw that asset and it looks really nice but it's not quite what I'm talking about. Even though the traildrops look great, they're probably not dynamic particles that can interact with something like windscreen wipers. That's why I'm talking about creating an interactive 2D partcle system with a metaball like effect to recreate traildrops. They won't look as neat as with Liquidum, but that doesn't matter since you'll be racing with high speeds. The raindrops will go all over the place in those conditions and they'll constantly change direction, velocity and interacting with the wipers.

4. Witcher_CA

Witcher_CA

Thanks for sharing , this will be a great work for developers who are making car games!

5. ASIM-SENYUVA

ASIM-SENYUVA

I am looking for solution too.

6. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hey people. I did something to somehow replicate it. I guess I'm the first one who did this :D and it's in a very early stage, which means it might not be really realistic,though..

Please look at the results here:
    Some information is available here, You can find out how to create one there:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/water-drops-like-the-driveclubs.347219/

Please improve this effect and share it or if you know a better way, please share it,if possible. One day this effect would be "a common and standard effect" for every game engine, I guess.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  7. ADRIANO3D

ADRIANO3D

8. WalterAnthony

WalterAnthony

Can you share your assets, it looks great, I want to use it in my game, I can pay you