Search Unity

"dynamic" keyword breaks Unity's Assemblies?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by a436t4ataf, Nov 27, 2019.

1. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

C# has had "dynamic" for a long time now (.NET 4?) and it's supported fine by Unity.

Except ... as soon as you start using the new Assemblies system (that's becoming compulsory, e.g. Unit Testing won't work without it), Unity fails, with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. error CS0656: Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.CSharpArgumentInfo.Create'
    Is this a known bug? Is it a WONTFIX? Can Assemblies work with dynamic?

(and ... will it prevent building on iOS? (does this count as runtime code creation?))

NB: the Unity docs on runtime codegen don't mention dynamic at all: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptingRestrictions.html

2. Yoreki

Yoreki

I'm just curious, but is there any legit reason for a known bug to be "wontfix"? Unity is pretty popular and big right now, unless there is a very good reason i cannot imagine them to ignore bugs often enough for "wontfix" to even be a term.

3. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Well ... for one example, there's a few things in the new scriptable render pipelines that permanently break existing games and assets, that have been declared wontfix :). It's a tool, just like any other: I'd rather have teams use it and be honest about it, than have them pretend they'll fix it (when in fact they never intend to).