Search Unity

"Dynamic Elements" RPG effect pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalamona, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kalamona

kalamona

I can't be sure because i didn't checked it personally, but one reviewer on the assetstore stated that the effects work on iPhone.

There is also a demo effect here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6602349/DE_Demo/NightmareVomit.unitypackage

If this works on iPhone, probably every one works.

Please be careful that the fillrate is rather slow on these devices, so particles that are close to the camera make the whole game a lot slower than particles that are far from the camera, even if the same number of particles is present.

2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Sounds like you knew what you were getting into. What are you talking about with that second sentence? If you paid for unique ones, why would they be sold too? The fact is, from the sound of it, Kalamona made it very clear that for $250 he would make you an effects package with no exclusivity.

How does that make them unusable, anyway? I've played tons of professional games where I noticed the assets. Hell, Batman Arkham Asylum is practically an advertisement for CGTextures.com. And don't even talk to me about sound effects. The fact of the matter is: 95% of people who buy this pack won't finish a game, and 99% of the audience would never notice that they were in multiple games anyway.

A healing effect is a healing effect, and a blood splatter is a blood splatter. Only other artists and game devs are going to point inane crap like that out.

If it's any consolation, I paid 3DRT $600 to make the peasants and warriors, and now other people can buy them for $150. But I knew that going into it, and I don't regret it.

3. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

The effects are fantastic, I really like your art style and approach.
    How would you feel about creating more projectile stuff, like a fireball, magic missile...that sort of thing?

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Agreed .... more projectiles would be great.

5. Legacy

Legacy

theres a $2 asset on the asset store that has some projectiles including a fireball. i think its called 7 simple magic effects.

6. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I think I already have that one. I'm doing a mage-focussed rpg so the more spell effects I can get the better.

7. diablo

diablo

Hi Kalamona,

I was wondering if it was possible to scale these effects since the default scale may not be for everyone.

Thanks,

El Diablo

8. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    The default scale is what i consider "realistic" (as realistic magic can be :) ), the character in the demo is 2m tall.

About your question:
    Sadly Unity does not scale particle systems well. There might be a scaling on them, but it does not affect the particles themselves. So there is no quick way to do it.

A longer way:
    I made a script (comes with the pack) called ParticleScaling or something similar, you can attach that script to a particle system, and add a scale number to it. 1.00 is no change, 0.5 is 50%, 2.00 is 200%. However it has to be added to each particle system individually. An effect usually consists 3-10 particle systems. This script is very primitive, basically changes the particle's parameters when running.

Now this script scales the particle systems only, but not the effect itself. What is the difference? For example if there is an acid rain effect, it will scale down the particles, the acid rain will look smaller, but it will be still above the ground by the exact amount it was above it previously, which is probably not what you wanted. So you might need to tinker more with the effects.

So using the script and a bit more manual help it is doable, but not very easy.

9. harleycw

harleycw

10. kalamona

kalamona

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Kalamona - do you have another effect pack in the works? Love you stuff, would like to see more of it.

12. kalamona

kalamona

I did an exclusive effect pack to a company not long ago, using Shuriken, under very short deadlines. So right now I am a bit burned out of particles, and I do models and animations instead.

I am thinking about a new "magical projectiles" style effect pack, you know - fireball, acid missile, icy missile and so on. I am greatly inspired by Diablo III, the effects there are really great. Blizz artists know something :). But that might come a bit later.

I was thinking about a sci-fi effects collection pack too (thrusters, lasers, plasma, energy shields, etc), but fantasy seems to sell so much better.

13. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I would love to see a fantasy projectile pack ... would defenitely buy it.

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'd love to see both - Sci Fi and Fantasy projectiles.

15. kalamona

kalamona

I began working on a new effect pack, this time using Shuriken. If you want to influence me during effect creation, here is the topic.

16. gecko

gecko

This is a fantastic pack, but I'm getting errors in the 4.0 beta:

Assets/09 Asset Store packages/DynamicElements_Effects/scripts/ParticleWindow.js(33,64): BCE0019: 'transform' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Object'.

Assets/09 Asset Store packages/DynamicElements_Effects/scripts/ParticleWindow.js(51,41): BCE0019: 'transform' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Object'.

Is there a fix available?

17. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    Sorry about that, I have no idea (I don't have unity4 yet). The sript is responsible for the scaling of the effects, so if you don't want to scale it, it probably won't be a problem.

I will test it out soon.
    cheers
    Kalamona

18. gecko

gecko

This was without any scaling (without any prefabs in the hierarchy, in fact---the mere presence of the scripts in the project caused the compiler errors.

But I purchased your Shuriken Magic and am using it now--gorgeous effects, and works great on 4.0.

19. huxley

huxley

I'm getting this error as well in Unity 4. Can I just delete this script?

20. kalamona

kalamona

Yes, it is just a tool to being able to resize the particles, but there are far better solutions to that in the asset store. The script is also removed from the latest assetstore version of the effect pack.

21. mikeyy

mikeyy

helly kalamona , i am working on a game and would love to buy your effect pack but the problem is that you links to the unity store are not working. Also can you like me to your pacakages ? Thanks

22. DevionGames

DevionGames

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/search/kalamona

23. kalamona

kalamona

24. mikeyy

mikeyy

Kalamona do you know how i can purchace this effect

25. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    just follow the link I gave, there is a button with "open Asset Store". You will need Unity3d to that. If you click on it, the asset store will open inside unity. There you can click the "purchase" button, and then follow the instructions regarding to your payment method.

If you have any more questions about purchasing assets from the asset store, you can contact
    assetstore@unity3d.com

cheers,
    Kalamona

26. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Subject: License information from Unity Technologies

This is an invoice for the items you have bought from the Unity Asset Store.

Unity should have begun downloading the assets automatically, but you will also be able to
    initiate a download from within the Asset Store package manager.

With kind regards,
    Unity Technologies.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Order Invoice
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 201-----
    Invoice no: 2005----
    VAT registration (CVR nr.): 30719913
    Unity Technologies A/S
    Livjaegergade 17, Baghuset, 1. sal
    DK-2100 Copenhagen
    Denmark

Product name: Animated Shaders - Kit 1 1.0
    Number of licenses: 1
    Unit price: 15.00 USD

Product name: Chickens Shader Bundle 1.42
    Unit price: 15.00 USD

Product name: Dynamic Elements Effect Pack 1.2
    Unit price: 40.00 USD

Total: 70.00 USD

Last 4 numbers are missing. Can you please contact me about your asset being re-sold in the Lonath On-line project.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/174227-Lonath-Online-finished-MMORPG-game-for-sale

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013