Search Unity

Dynamic Bone - Realistic swaying ponytail and bouncing boobs

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HorngYuiWei, May 11, 2014.

1. jquirk10

jquirk10

Okay so far so good, im loving this and all that it provides while being very simple. However I seem to be having an issue getting the dynamic bone feature to work on the "Riko" unity model. I am making the Chest_L and Chest_R bones the dynamic bones however nothing happens when I test it. And the way the model works if I do "Chest_M" it makes the models head and arms to be dynamic as well. The screenshot is to show that the two bones "Chest_L" and "Chest_R".

Attached Files:

2. Netsuko

Netsuko

Here is a Video that explains step by step how work with Dynamic Bone:

Lex4art likes this.
  3. jquirk10

jquirk10

I watched this video while first using dynamic bones, I overlooked the exclusions part tho,(just stumbled on it just now). Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    Another possible solution is set Chest_L and Chest_R as Dynamic Bone root, then adjust "End Length" or "End Offset" parameters.

5. AbandonedCart

AbandonedCart

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for this. This has been one of the only "external" assets that gets included in every project I start. It has also made quite an impression while testing VR Chat with some custom avatars.

HorngYuiWei likes this.
  6. WunderWulfe

WunderWulfe

i have a few feature requests

target angle: changes target angle offset (example being 10°, would make it so that it jiggles to be within 10° from the wanted angle, any supported rotation; at 0° jiggles to wanted angle)

multiple roots: no more making 1 jiggle for each object (i.e. multiple hanging pieces with same settings), array of root objects

cylinder/cube colliders: cubes (with width and height, drawn between bones), or at least cyilnders instead of spheres to aid with collision detection for objects like ties and hair

area: a property that creates an area with specified radius around the bones that can be used to detect nearby colliders in order to allow collisions from other unspecified colliders (for multiplayer or environmental use etc)

dynamic collider 2: applies to children also, has stuff like adjustable radius, axis, and height throughout hierarchy, makes adding finger colliders and stuff easier

AthrunVLokiz and HorngYuiWei like this.
  7. Toymaker

Toymaker

I've been looking for information on how to use this asset with the UMA Dynamic Avatar. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. hopeful

hopeful

If you haven't already, try using the developmental version of UMA (2.7) that is on github. It has a feature that allows you to work with the bones in editor.

9. Toymaker

Toymaker

I'll do that, thank you.

10. Duffer123

Duffer123

@HorngYuiWei ,

How compatible is this Asset with Opsive's Third Person Controller?

11. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    I do not receive any issue report about Third Person Controller.
    You can try evaluation version first. If there is any problem, I'll look into it.

12. RDav2088

RDav2088

Hi.
    Just wanted to say that, after trying the evaluation version, I bought it on the go.
    It's really simple to configure and works great.
    You did an outstanding job, HorngYuiWei.

D-Coy and HorngYuiWei like this.
  13. mammothrider

mammothrider

Hi,

I'm working on a skirt with Dynamic Bone, and work fine with idle animation. But on running animation, some part of the skirt move upwards weirdly. And I also find that moving cursor back and forth quickly on scene window (and only in scene window) in Unity Editor will cause the same strange movement in walking and running animation. I try to look up the code but fail to find any reason.

Do you have any idea what cause the strange upward movement during running or moving mouse? Any help would be appreciated.

(I also try demo, the animation is totally different with the animation in video, and moving mouse in scene window will cause the model moving more violently. I'm using Unity 2017.3.1p3.)

14. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    please send a test project to willhongcom@gmail.com
    I'll look what's wrong in it.

15. pmarlow

pmarlow

Hello I'm working on an avatar for VRChat. I'm curious about the Animation property Dynamic Bone.Force. Applying any amount of force in the animation seems to make the bone move completely stiff to the maximum point of articulation. I've tried values of 50, 1, .01, and .001.

My question is, is there any way to apply a physics force to a dynamic bone like this for a subtle movement (like ear twitch).

16. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    "Force" is multiplied by GameObject's scale.
    if your character have large scale. smaller force is required.

17. Rotock

Rotock

It would be perfect if the particles would effect the lengh as well and scale dynamicly. So it would not only be bouncy in rotation, but also bouncy in scale.

HorngYuiWei likes this.
  18. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    can you give a example, in what situation the particles would effect length and scale dynamically ?

19. RendCycle

RendCycle

Does this tool only animate and does not add/create bones?

20. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

yes, you need to add bones and rig your character in 3d software.

21. PureDarkNight

PureDarkNight

Hi, Dynmaic Bone doesn't do well in cloth simulating, because there's no springarm constraint between bones that have different parents but have the same level of depth, for example cloak/cape or the lower part of a coat.
    They all have serveral tails of bones, but there should be springarm constraint between each tail, or they will act like independent ropes.
    Right now they aways clip through legs or bodys even with colliders set, because they just got pushed aways and slip throgh the sphere, no matter how big the radius is.

I see there is a new plane collider, but I am now sure how to use it, it doesnt have much properties.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Spiral-Organ likes this.
  22. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

Yes that is a very good point, are there any plans to add in a springarm constraint? Like this example of another skirt physics solution here

Though I have that skirt physics solution, I like dynamic bone better since it's less performance intensive and the collisions are much more accurate. But without a spring system, it can't replicate the skirt physics in that video. That other skirt physics system may look good when it works, but glitches alot and isn't production ready...

23. RayCornea

RayCornea

Hello @HorngYuiWei ,
    Is there a way to skip a parent bone (to be unaffected by simulations) and simulate the children chains? or create a list of root bones?

My situation: i have a RigHub (for hair strands), then about 8 hair strands (~2-5 bones each) parented to it. I need to simulate just the hair strands, yet assigning each hair strand is mostly inefficient in this situation (by performance means and very time consuming, i have multiple hair sets with 5-15 hair strands).

I have experimented emulating a root list, skipping particles, removing them from the list adding as null, yet nothing seems to work.

Any ideas or alternatives?

24. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    A list of roots which share same parameters should be usefull.
    I'll implement it in future version.

Vect0rius and AKQJ10 like this.
  25. RayCornea

RayCornea

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  26. AKQJ10

AKQJ10

We have a dynamicBoneCluster script for that purpose. And we are trying to add some extra parameters to tweak the swing behavior.

HorngYuiWei likes this.
  27. FS9606

FS9606

28. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    dynamic bone should work with MCS if there are bones in it.
    what problems are you meet ?

29. DanielThomas

DanielThomas

Hi, I'm experimenting with dynamic bones on Units new 2D animation package where you can create bones. The thing is, sometime it does not work. For an example I have a tree prefab that works as intended. But If I do a few duplicates there is a random number of them that isn't working. Here is what I found out:
    - The bones themselves works, but the sprite doesn't deform on the faulty trees.
    - If I set 'Update Mode' to Animated physics it kind of works, It is flickering from not working to working really fast, so like the animated phyics is getting overriden.
    - On faulty trees, if I disable the dynamic bones script in playmode it looks like the sprite is actually still working.

So I can see a few possibilities. One is that the 2D Animation Sprite Skin script is fighting with dynamic bones and actually reset them - even if it looks like they're moving in editor when playing.
    Or can it be that the bones actually lose the deformation connection to the sprite? Using Update mode animated physics seems like they're fighting.

30. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    Select Edit->Project Settings->Script Execution Order.
    Add Dynamic Bone and move it before "Default Time".
    It seems to work.

m_hakozaki likes this.
  31. DanielThomas

DanielThomas

Perfect, thanks!

32. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

i want to use dynamic Bone similar to the way they were used for the ferns in this game.
    http://www.ghostofatale.com/dynamic-vegetation-system/

does anyone know if thats possible with the dynamic Bone, as is? or do other scripts need to be written in orer to make use of the dynamic bone assets

33. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    Dynamic Bone is used in the game's vegetation system.
    But the developer also do a lot of optimization to only active it when character is near.

34. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

thank you for your quick reply

I understand the optimization process was a separate script,

But i don't know how to make the bones react to another rigid body object. Does the Bones need a IK system for this to work? or does the dnamic bone asset have everything required to make the bones moved from a external source?

35. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

Also, can the bones accept forces similar to other rigid body objects? using the Rigidbody.AddExplosionForce... or something similar?

36. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    Dynamic Bone has it's own "Dynamic Bone Collider", you can add colliders to character and assign the colliders to vegetation's dynamic bone component.

37. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

You can use script to modify "m_Force" parameter to apply external force.

38. jjobby

jjobby

Hi, I would like to ask your comment about this.

Do you think that Dynamic Bone can handle something like fur in this video? Is there any limit or recommendation on how many Dynamic Bone can be attached to one character until the performance is degraded?

39. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    dynamic bone can do similar physics simulation like the video.
    Performance depend on a lot of factor.
    If you are not sure is dynamic bone work in your project.
    you can request evaluation version from willhongcom@gmail.com

40. jjobby

jjobby

I didn't tell you that we've already bought Dynamic Bone to use with other thing. It's just that we're not sure if Dynamic Bone will be able to handle these many joints like in the video. Currently, our monsters don't have that many joints too. But we just want to know if Dynamic Bone is capable of doing such thing or not. I've read that Dynamic Bone uses its own physics which is faster than default physics in Unity. But we never load test it before so we're not sure if there is any limitation or not.

41. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    dynamic bone do not have any bone count limitation.
    but performance depend on how many bones and how powerful of your target platform.

42. sacb0y

sacb0y

Why do physics look different in the build than they do in the playmode for the editor? Suddenly flowy physics end up choppy or stiff.

What can I do to make sure it's consistent so I get consistent results?

43. Seith

Seith

@HorngYuiWei Hi, would it be possible to get Dynamic Bones to work on non-skinned models? That would be super-useful as an attachment system, to just have a couple of empty transforms (or cubes with their mesh hidden) and then be able to simply parent a rigid prop to the last transform.

In other words we're currently forced to skin a mesh before being able to use Dynamic bones and it would be really nice to not have to do that. Think of a rigid pouch bouncing on the belt of a character; we could simply have 2 or 3 empty transforms which would behave like a chain of joints and just parent the pouch to the last joint.

Could you please see if that's possible?

44. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    Dynamic Bone move GameObject's transform. It do not need skin mesh.

45. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    can you try set "update rate" to 30 instead of 60 and see is it fixed.

46. Seith

Seith

47. Djaydino

Djaydino

Hi.
    I have plans to make PlayMaker Actions for your asset and add them to my asset : Third party asset actions for PlayMaker.
    I noticed in some posts that we can request a evaluation version?
    is this version a complete version.
    Someone on the PlayMaker Discord channel requested actions for this

48. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

Hi,
    you can send mail to willhongcom@gmail.com
    to request evaluation version.

49. Djaydino

Djaydino

Hi HorngYuiWei,
    Yes i understand.
    But i would like to know if the evaluation has certain limitations (as i need to make action for it, i will need a complete version)
    if there are limitation, the person that needed the actions will need to purchase it for me.

50. HorngYuiWei

HorngYuiWei

There are no functionality limitation. but it is only for evaluation and can not redistribute.