Search Unity

Dynamic AI Project[Navigation Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Oct 13, 2012.

?

Should the Navigation be available as a separate purchase?

1. No, keep it exclusive to Dynamic AI.

34 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Yes, I am only interested in the Navigation in this project.

53 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Yes, but I also want this to be compatible with Fantasy AI

61 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. maidamedia

maidamedia

Random search is really awesome! Go on Robert!

2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback!

3. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

Hi my friends, when it release ? I think unity 4 pro will have dynamic navigation, and more other useful like this pack, so is this project really feasible ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I don't believe I have seen any of the details for the Navigation for Unity 4. I'm not even sure how dynamic it really will be. But either way this project isnt just about navigation, its a massive out of the box working shooter AI. And because the navigation is built into it, it raises the flexibility alot. Like being able to do complex searches through areas for finding cover and smart retreating. Plus theres alot more people who use Unity free opposed to Unity pro.

As for release, it is still unknown. The beta navigation will be likely available in as little as a week or 2. The whole AI project is still a little ways away though.

5. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

I think, in this project, you should develop Enemy Shooter's AI like this :
    + Shooter could dynamic find a good position behind a obstacle to hide, a safe position that we not need create hide waypoint first.
    + FOV's shooter is 3D Field of view
    + AI like Call of Duty or BF3 is good idea for Dynamic AI Project ! ^^

6. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Sorry if things seem a bit dead lately people! I have been working on other projects combined with Dynamic AI, but progress is steady. The pathfinding part is almost ready to release.

I had a few requests to implement group pathfinding. So I went ahead and gave it a try. What I did was create a system that detects a which AI are after the same target. Once this was figured out a 'Leader' would be chosen. The leader would be the only one calculating the A* part, then all the other AI would then draw their own paths using the 'Leaders' data.

It seemed to work, but because I have worked so hard on the efficiency on the project itself, it ended up slowing performance more than anything... Here is the reason.

Once the data is available to draw a path, the AI's under the leader must now use this data to draw their path. But, because the system is designed to be the most efficient possible, it ended up being more costly to grab the data from the leader and use it to then draw their path..

In conclusion, I have put much work into making a lightning fast pathfinding system, that is also completely dynamic. I may continue to work to find more efficient ways of implementing more efficient methods for pathfinding on a very large scale, but for the first release, it looks like the pathfinding will need to be done by individual AI.. With the current system, I can have 150 AI pathfinding to a dynamic obstacle at 35 to 40 FPS. Static targets are far more efficient, cause the path may only need to be calculated once.

Regards,

Robert Weaver,

Brilliant Game Studios

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

I'm waiting for... When it's release ?

8. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey everyone. Apologies on the wait on this. The Pathfinding engine is nearly ready for the first release! I plan to be submitting the first version around Tuesday!

Thank you for your patience everyone, I am very excited about this!

9. Boji

Boji

Looking forward to it!

10. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I'm in my final prep(Tidying up stage). In the mean time, I wanted to show you a VERY useful feature I added!

In the picture below, you may ask, "What is the purpose of those purple cylinders?". This is a very useful feature I came up with called, "Navigation Portals". These purple cylinders, are the answer to many common problems in modern pathfinding. "What exactly do they do?". Navigation portals create an extra connection between any 2 nodes you wish, but each side can be dynamicaly moved, opened, or closed. The uses for these are endless. Some of the many uses may be, portals, ladders, elevators, jump-able areas, doors, steep stair cases, or areas which are too tight/small for the grid resolution you have chosen. I guarantee you will become addicted to this tool once you discover its true potential. :)

Screen shot demonstrates a jump-able area.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  11. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

So I have come up with a solution that is the most fair for everyone. In the next few days, "Dynamic Navigation" will be on the shelves of the Asset Store.

I have decided that Dynamic AI is more going to act an expansion of Dynamic Navigation. This way, anyone can purchase Dynamic Navigation without worrying about purchasing the Navigation twice if the become interested in Dynamic AI. Dynamic AI will require Dynamic Navigation to function properly(Although it will be open to other 3rd party navigation engines).

So to clear this up! If you are interested in the full Dynamic AI, you can go ahead and purchase Dynamic Navigation without worry!
    Hope this made sense! Let me know if you have any questions!

Robert Weaver,

Brilliant Game Studios.

12. Mars91

Mars91

So we'll have to buy 2 assets to have Dynamic AI?

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes, if you want the full deal. But they will be priced fair(what the total cost of the package would have been). Likely the actual AI will be cheaper cause its built around the Navigation engine. This is the most fair solution I could think of. This way, the people waiting for the full AI, can still try out the navigation. :)

14. Mars91

Mars91

I think that it's a fair deal if the price is good.
    There will be some delay with the release?

15. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes, Dynamic AI still has a little ways to go.

16. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

This screen shot shows the demo included, the AI using an elevator in his navigation.

17. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

18. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

So if anyone has seen or purchased Dynamic Navigation, you may noticed 'Beta' in brackets. Yes, it is a beta version, but many many hours have gone into this project so far. I would appreciate both negative and positive feedback from those of you who have or will be purchasing.

Good luck to everyone, I am very excited to see what you can do with this awesome package!

Robert Weaver,

Brilliant Game Studios.

19. 3agle

3agle

Just noticed that the Asset Store states it requires Unity 4.0, do you not have support for Unity 3.5.6?

20. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

It should work fine with Unity 3. Does it not let you download it if you are using 3?

21. 3agle

3agle

I haven't tried to download it just yet, only noted that it states that on the Asset store page.
    Good to know that it works in 3.x, though :)

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I am going to be putting a copy of Dynamic Navigation on Game Prefabs. I'll export it through Unity 3.5. Hopefully should be up tonight! It wont include the same demos though, just a really simple one(I would have to completely recreate them)

23. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

24. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Do you have a rough estimate on what you anticipate the AI add-on to cost?

25. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey, likely in the 30 dollar range. :)

26. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Thank you, going to have to start saving up! :D

27. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Sounds great. Thank you for your interest.

28. runner

runner

Dynamic Navigation needs some kind of solution for off-grid navigation

Yes i know its beta

$AI-OffMeshNavigation.jpg

29. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree, that is in the works!

30. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello brilliantgames , you've done an amazing job so far. Very impressive. One feature that is of most importance to me is multi size objects navigation (tanks, humans). The read in a previous post that you said you wanted to make a system which could properly navigate bigger objects.

eg. if tank doesn't fit through small gap then take another route.

My question does your current system have this feature?

I have created a forum discussion about various AI path finding options here it would be great if you pop in there to announce new features ect.

Overall I think you are going in the right direction if you implement other AI features which use the mesh to do clever things, like : take cover ect.

ps. I love the bold attitude : "I'm going to create the best AI nav system for unity" hahaha that's the way to go :) also 3 months you created this, truly amazing

31. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback. Actually this can support different size objects. All you need to do is make 2 different sized grids for the different objects. You can make as many grids as you like.

32. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

33. runner

runner

The trouble with GamePrefabs.com

Is the license on all assets sold there

Indie : $50
    Professional : $100

And also to place a Credit mentioning GamePrefabs in my game not that i have anything against the TornadoTwins but that really turns me off more like piss's me off.

So maybe you could explain to me you're licensing arrangement

thanks

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The professional licensing on gameprefabs is only for larger studios with a big team of people. I wouldnt worry about any of that. Just get the Indie license. ;)

35. runner

runner

i have never purchased from there being the arbitrary licensing policy.

http://www.gameprefabs.com/pages/what_license/

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  36. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Well, its up to you. But feel free to send me a PM if you are wanting to privately purchase this.

37. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey everyone, so myself and the Tornado twins have teamed up. We launched a discount exclusive to GamePrefabs for Dynamic Navigation!

Now is your chance to find out why this Navigation engine exceeds any other Pathfinding for Unity! For only $40.00!

http://gameprefabs.com/products/show/692

38. code-blep

code-blep

Hi,

I have a system that dynamically creates Vector3 values for all 8 corners of a large cube, thus creating 8 nodes. I will use the nodes as a route to a target object on the other side of the large cube.

Can I assign these custom nodes dynamically to Dynamic Navigation, and pass the shortest node route to the AI enemy, which uses it's own custom Physics movement script? The AI enemy already has a waypoint system set-up to receive Vector3 co-ordinates, and it is able to move in all three dimensions. All I need now is to work out the shortest route and I am hoping Dynamic Navigation can help with that.

I'm finding the prospect of pathfinding quite daunting, and would like to know if this is at least possible before I jump in feet first!

Thanks

Paul

39. jdprofitt

jdprofitt

I agree about not purchasing anything at gameprefabs.com. I need the 3.5x version because I plan to release my game for android and I don't have the android addon for 4 yet, but I am unwilling to agree to their unreasonable requirements of having to display their website in the credits in the game itself and on any website that advertises the game.

40. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey. I responded to your PM.

To everyone using Unity 3.5 and not wanting to purchase off GamePrefabs. There is another option. You can install Unity 4 then purchase Dynamic Navigation off the Asset Store. Then you can copy and paste the Navigation scripts into your Unity 3.5 project. :)

Rob.

41. runner

runner

If brilliantgames wants to be given credit in game then this is perfectly reasonable but it should be said that it would be awesome if it was in a ReadMe license in the package and of course this is at the discretion of the developer not GamePrefabs, to set licensing.

GamePrefabs seems to operate in a fashion that the Services they provide somehow offer's added value?, Of course if one makes a purchase's from them then you agree with the clause and you have no recourse but following it to the letter.

if i was to summarize the buck is being past onto the consumer and that is the "Cost of Doing Business" at GamePrefabs..

At least Brilliantgames allows us to PayPal which i would prefer this avenue or better yet the Asset Store.

42. jdprofitt

jdprofitt

I have no problem at all giving Brilliantgames credit, that is very reasonable and deserves to be credited, I just object to having to give credit to gameprefabs.com, to me that would be like walmart requiring me to display a sign on my car advertising the store anytime I play a cd I bought from there.

43. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I have talked with the Tornado twins and they asked, for those that have any concerns for me to send them their way.

If anyone has any concerns regarding the licenses for GamePrefabs, please contact them. They are great guys I'm sure they can be of assistance!

Email: Support@gameprefabs.com

Rob.

44. runner

runner

Thanks Rob, Appreciate the effort you made

jdprofitt metaphor pretty much sums up my sentiment but nothing short of a policy change will sway my opinion or wallet in this matter.

So Rob keep that paypal account available and when you address some of the last few remaining issue's with Dynamic Navigation i will be interested. Like the early example of off-grid navigation in a early post i made needs to be addressed.

45. code-blep

code-blep

Hi, Any chance of a response to my question please ;)

46. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey, apologies I missed your comment. Well, Dynamic Navigation is a very large complex system, which is why it is currently a closed source project. I do plan to release an opensource version in the future, but not as of right now.

Dynamic Navigation is designed to work with any AI solution/movement though with very minimal programming. However it is not built to mix other pathfinding or waypoint solutions in with it... Are you doing this for a learning experience? Cause the grid building system is extremely powerful and works for any multilayer terrain whether its outdoor or indoor.

47. murteas

murteas

Will it work with Unity Free edition?

48. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes. :)

49. code-blep

code-blep

Thanks for getting back ;) My game environment has no terrain and is set in 'space' etc, so I need a solution flexible enough to deal with it. If I understand you correctly, it looks like I may have to keep looking. Shame as this looks great. Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  50. Boji

Boji

Just got it, looks great and I think I can fit it straight into my code, but there are some problems:

-it conflicts with SimplePath, so I will first have to completely remove SP and then implement Dynamic nav

-when the AI accidentaly gets off the grid it throws: "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.NavigationPortal.Update ()" , the AI should try to go dirrectly to the closest free point on the grid and restart navigation

-need a way to make certain AI's not use portals, ex: some units can fly up to a cliff but others need to walk.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012