Search Unity

Dynamic 3D world rendering using offline OpenStreetMap data

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eiskalt, Nov 23, 2014.

1. eiskalt

eiskalt

This is prototype of globe level scene where multiple LOD levels supported: on screenshot, I zoomed from 1 to 7 focusing on middle of Europe. So far, I'm trying to find optimal combination rendered objects vs zoom level vs performance.

In general, I want to render map starting from globe till full 3D details using only vector data provided by NaturalEarth and OpenStreetMap.

As usual, everything is customizable: color gradients, elevation noise, region elevation offset, texturing, etc. And it is possible to apply real Earth texture on top of generated mesh.

TerraUnity and mfleurent like this.
  2. eiskalt

eiskalt

Some progress on orbit view (scaled coordinates in 1:1000):

This view will allow you to rotate globe like in google earth, zoom in/out starting from LOD 1 till 9 to get more details. Of course, need to fix some text issues, but it is not a big deal.

Some progress on surface view (scale is 1:1):

This scene will provide flowing camera which you can move/rotate in any direction. Also this scene has elevation support (see screenshot at zoom level 10: there is volcano in the middle of Teneriffa island)

Everything is customizable as objects in scene are generated on the fly from vector data and converted into unity's meshes based on selected style.

I have to say it is really hard to decide what to show and how depending on zoom level. To simplify development, I have chosen openstreetmap colors as default color schema, but it seems it sucks (or my simple vertex shader?).

SAOTA likes this.
  3. eiskalt

eiskalt

Some progress on orbit view with animation:

Here, I'm using mapzen server to get vector data on demand.

jason-fisher likes this.
  4. matcafe

matcafe

Really cool! Thanks for making this open source!

5. eiskalt

eiskalt

I uploaded new video which demonstrates animation from ground to orbit LOD:

HeadClot88 likes this.
  6. eiskalt

eiskalt

7. eiskalt

eiskalt

In the latest release (v2.1), I implemented mesh caching and started to use it for terrain by default. This increases performance a lot (for some tiles it is faster in order of magnitude). The price - disk space and cache management if you use dynamic map data modification feature.

8. SpectralEdge

SpectralEdge

I have tried for a few hours to get this working in unity, the demo scene always loads blank and can't find the scripts. Your directions (place the plugin.zip files inside the plugins folder of the demo) no longer work with your latest two releases as there is not a plugins.zip in those releases. Where exactly do you need to place the editor and android files? I have tried putting them in the editor folder, plugins folder, etc and nothing seems to work.

*edit* it now finds the scripts but does not render a world at all. Just two caps and a skybox.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  9. eiskalt

eiskalt

Hi SpectralEdge!

Hard to say what is root cause of your issue there. I would suggest to try other scenes: Import, Customization.

Work is still in progress and might require sometimes digging into source code if the project is not working out of box. Means that it might be difficult to use it for people without strong development skills.

In general, my plan is to finish the latest feature I'm working on and focus on making the project more stable and easier for newcomers.

Anyway, I created new issue to address your current problem:

https://github.com/reinterpretcat/utymap/issues/119