Search Unity

Dynamic 2D Destruction!!!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TheValar, Mar 18, 2014.

1. TheValar

TheValar

I've been wanting to do something with 2d destruction for a while and I finally got motivated enough to start working on something.

WEBPLAYER

So far this system is capable of shattering 2d sprites into triangle fragments at runtime.

NOTE: I am NOT just breaking a pre-existing mesh into triangles.

What's happening under the hood?
    This system can destroy any Unity Sprite with a PolygonCollider2D, Rigidbody 2D, and Explodable Component.
    The script takes the points of the collider and uses them to triangulate a new mesh which is uv mapped to match the original sprite.
    The triangles for this calculated mesh are then broken up into individual gameobjects with their own colliders.

It plays nicely with scaling and rotating!

there are tweak-able parameters that can control the minimum angle and area of the generated triangles!

generated fragments inherit the velocity of the original object

Future Plans:
    I'm really hoping to improve this so that the sprites break into voronoi regions rather than just riangles, this will make them look more like real fragments.

I also need to make this multithreaded... for now there is a perceptable pause when something is destroyed.

$2014-03-18 19_41_56-Unity - Level.unity - UnityTriangleNet - Web Player_.png $2014-03-18 19_42_25-Unity - Level.unity - UnityTriangleNet - Web Player_.png $2014-03-18 19_43_07-Unity - Level.unity - UnityTriangleNet - Web Player_.png

2. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

Great Idea!
    Its alot of fun to play around. :D

3. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

Very fun indeed!

Do you plan on making a full game using this as main feature, or more an Asset store plugin?

4. TheValar

TheValar

Possibly both. For now it's just a fun project that I hope to learn from. In a perfect world I'll get something out of it that's good enough for the asset store and possibly some cool game mechanics :D

5. TheValar

TheValar

Got around to making a sweet update this weekend!

Now instead of just shattering into triangles, the sprites can be shattered into voronoi pieces which look much cooler! The only downside is for whatever reason certain sets of points cause the triangulation algorithm to fail.

Next on my list is to add random sampled points to the triangulation to get more varied pieces. For now it just uses the collider points as data for triangulation. I can probably use this to solve the occasional errors I'm getting now. Like if an error is produced from the existing set of points, add another random point.

Webplayer is updated to better showcase features!

$2014-03-23 20_07_20-Unity - Level.unity - UnityTriangleNet - Web Player_.png

6. VonPro

VonPro

Hello there! Can I ask your source code so I can study it an implement it on my game. Thanks!

7. TheValar

TheValar

Never developed this further than what you see but if I still have the project files around put them up for you

8. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

If you could publish this it would really be helpful to me too. If you don't have the code i would like to know.
    Thanks.

9. TheValar

TheValar

I actually totally re-did this recently. It could probably use a bit of cleaning up but maybe I'll post it on GitHub sometime this week

10. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

ok when you do that could you leave a link? thanks

11. TheValar

TheValar

neonblitzer, vvalente and hippocoder like this.
  12. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

13. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

If i ever use this in a project do you want credit?

14. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

You should put this on the asset store. All the other versions of this are way too expensive and the cheap / free ones are horrible. But i won't judge if you don't.

15. TheValar

TheValar

Nope no credit necessary :) I'd love to see whatever you end up using it for though

hahahpizza likes this.
  16. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

17. LochieWestfallGames

LochieWestfallGames

a project i have been working on recently is a game called bap. haven't had enough time to use this in it but it should be on the app store soon.

TheValar likes this.
  18. TheValar

TheValar

19. ismaelnascimentoash

ismaelnascimentoash

Very good !

TheValar likes this.