Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DXR support for RDNA2 AMD graphics card

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by grumgrum, Apr 15, 2021.

1. grumgrum

grumgrum

Hello,
    Since its super impossible to get an RTX 3x series card nowadays.. Anyone got experience firsthand, if any of the RDNA2 series (6700,6800 or 6900 /xr card)? I'm looking for info, performance wise with the DXR features turned on for HDRP (raytraced GI, reflection, etc) ? I couldnt find any information anywhere and even in the forums.

Thanks!

Lex4art likes this.
  2. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

grumgrum it should work for 99%...always you can return GPU to store after short time if you are not content.
    Personally my advice: please do not waste you time and money for GPU less than 12 Giga Vram. This is really necessary to render FullHD. Of course if you want really go pro you need 24 Giga (like in my 3090 Ampere)

grumgrum likes this.
  3. newguy123

newguy123

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For Unity you still need an RTX card for now, until Unity announces support for AMD cards.

5. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Are there any updates on this? I'm considering switching from a 6800XT to a 3080 if ray-tracing isn't coming for RDNA2 cards any time soon. Thanks

newguy123 likes this.
  6. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

cpkcpk I suggest 3090 ...I know is expensive but is completely worth any prize !
    In my opinion you will be sorry after when you buy 3080.... (low amount of Vram)

7. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Hmm you are probably right, but I can't justify the current price for a 3090 (over £2000 in the UK). The 6800XT has 16GB VRAM and performs great for half the price, so I really hope ray-tracing for these cards is coming at some point.

I know it's not totally related, but AMD FSR coming in 2021.2 gives me a bit of hope they are working on it.

8. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

cpkcpk 6800XT has 16GB VRAM looks also good!
    Actually with this you can manage 4K rendering (if you want use DXR for offline rendering)
    Generally I spent like 14-18 Giga Vram for 4K. When scene is big up to 24 Giga.
    But consider me as extreme offline render guy: 4K textures, Animation 1440p/60 fps, heavy objects, no optimization, no BAKE system,. That's why in my case 3090 is only one choice.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sadly that's 100% unrelated and works on any hardware, coming to URP as well and is already available via community member for built in.

The only relation is it has AMD in the name.

Also, If you intend to use Bakery, you need nvidia.

10. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Yeah of course, I just mean it in the broadest sense. I do find it strange that there is no almost no mention anywhere of ray-tracing for AMD cards coming to Unity, except for a few forum and Reddit threads. I would have thought it was a much requested feature since the RDNA2 cards were announced.

I don't use Bakery, but would like an NVidia card for some other software that requires CUDA.

11. TheGamery

TheGamery

If you keep an eye on the Nvidia site using PartAlert or similar site you may be able to get a 3090 for £1400.

I got one a while back, now I can bake large scenes where my 1080Ti couldn't.

12. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

TheGamery btw 3090 (of side topic info)
    If you have this GPU or you will have (Is incredible, so much power when I render or BAKE) please use MSI Afterburner:
    Those are my settings:
    MSI.PNG

13. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

I'm guessing this was a while ago, as I've had stock alerts set up for months and haven't seen one for that price on the Nvidia site or anywhere else! I would buy one in an instant, but in the meantime have just got a 3080 which should be good enough for my needs.