Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[DXR] All ray tracing effects cause console error spam in 2022.1a16

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Lex4art, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Lex4art

Lex4art

Subj. Every time I'm trying to enable anything related to ray tracing (shadows, reflections, AO, etc) or path tracing - console spammed with error:
    Assertion failed on expression: 'data != nullptr'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Tested on empty project, reported as bug (Case 1384449).

2. TheGamery

TheGamery

I get this as well.

3. petersx

petersx

Each successive alpha version is a decrease in performance with DXR ray tracing. It's waste of time reporting the obvious bugs which disqualify this engine and encourage the transition to other engine. I think that now Unity buys more than he produces.

4. Lex4art

Lex4art

Alphas are alphas, previous one (2021.2a) also was a challenge to use, but it ended up with pretty nice 2021.2f2 release ). If alpha contains large amount of broken features and has a lot of bugs - all that usually means some big changes/improvements being implemented, substantial features reworked and so on...

Bugreport, bugreport harder! )

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Yet this is why alphas and betas exist for us (so we can give feedback and report bugs early on). The other engine (tm) also has experimental previews if you are into these things, otherwise maybe not use them if it's not experience you like?

6. TheGamery

TheGamery

Nothing new, for me Unity Raytracing has been unstable/not working since its release, I do wish I had chosen Unreal a decade ago instead of Unity.

7. petersx

petersx

Yes, last time I also testing the same scene with UE5 and Unity (alpha) - UE5 (Early access) give mi about 30FPS and 2-3FPS in Unity. But this is from a13 - eariler versions was ok - but from a14 FPS dramatically going down and down and down :(

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The original issue reported by @Lex4art should be fixed since b1. Thanks a lot for flagging and reporting it!