Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

DX12U support? Amd raytracing in Playstation and XBox

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by newguy123, Jun 18, 2021.

1. newguy123

newguy123

When can we expect DX12U support?
    Since Playstation and XBox both run AMD gpu's, it stands to reason then if we can get it, then we can use AMD cards for Unity raytracing, right?

Currently seems Unity is only using DX12, not DX12U. Or is that not the issue at all, the issue is Unity decided to use RT cores in their current raytracing implementation, which is useless for AMD's lates RDNA 2 architecture?

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I can confirm the Ray Tracing does in fact work with AMD RX 6800XT.

Really the only problems I face at all with the RT is the Global Illumination, it's unbearable in terms of performance no matter what settings I set as it's all going directly to the CPU for some reason. (It works fine at 1080P, but doing 2K resolution it horrendous). CPU is in a constant bogging state of 20-40 Milliseconds on the lowest of the lowest GI settings.

Reflections and AO I haven't had any problems with at all and work as I'd expect.

But honestly i've never heard of DX12U, i'll look this up now.
    But yeah the realtime GI is horrendous, I finally just had to turn it off and bake the GI, which I hate doing.

Lex4art and newguy123 like this.
  3. N1warhead

N1warhead

Just looked up DX12U. According to their website, it still only supports nVidia cards as well, doesn't list AMD for compatible cards.

4. newguy123

newguy123

You're then baking with Unity's native solution right? Since Bakery apparently only works with NVidia cards also....

But generally good news that Raytracing works on the 6800 XT. Would be awesome get get some kind of comparision between that and a 3080 Ti for example....(in context of Unity Raytracing)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is it? The Global Illumination RT wasn't working for me, although it has been 1-2 months since I tried.

6. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah it works. Also use Indirect Lighting post effect and crank up the first value to as high as you'd like.

Ray Tracing has me spoiled, so I went back to realtime RT GI lol. For some reason things are being more efficient randomly, not sure what I did (wasn't touching the post effects), was messing around with the scene and now things are better lol.

I even made a mirror room with recursive rendering, looks pretty dope lol.

newguy123 likes this.
  7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Oh figured I'd add.

This entire time I was oblivious to how Dynamic Resolution worked. I always thought it was automatic lol (That's what I get from lack of research). But with the example at - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/DynamicResolution.html

At 2K Resolution I'm getting around 160FPS at the lowest setting on that example (granted the volume lights look like trash), but it at least makes things useable for the really hard performance hit areas with the RT if needed.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I believe I did all that but it wasn't working for me. It was a couple of months ago, I'll try again, thanks.

9. newguy123

newguy123

Let us know how you get on please, and which AMD card you tried....

10. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I'd try again @AcidArrow But also keep in mind Ray Tracing doesn't work with Terrain currently (I believe it's in development to work with it), so that might have been why it didn't work for you maybe?