Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

DX12 Graphics API in the editor?

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by elbows, Mar 2, 2016.

1. elbows

elbows

Hi,

It is supposed to be possible to have DX12 API used in the editor with recent beta versions? Because when I add the DX12 Experimental API to the list, I never get any indication its being used. For example if I drag it to the top of the list, I still see <DX11> in the editor window title. And if I remove other DX APIs and add, for example, the GLCore API but have it lower down the list than DX12, OpenGL 4.5 shows up in the editor title, suggesting DX12 isn't an available API for the editor to use?

I've tried this on two Windows 10 64 bit machines with latest or very recent graphics drivers. One machine had a GTX 970 and the other a HD7970. One was using 5.4 beta 6 and the other beta 7.

Thanks.

2. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Start the editor with -force-d3d12
    You should see <DX12> on the title bar.
    It is possible even in 5.3 but last time I checked it was unstable.

elbows likes this.
  3. xCyborg

xCyborg

Still, this should be doable in 5.4 final release without any force command flags.

4. elbows

elbows

Thanks very much.

You weren't kidding about unstable - absolutely unusable for me with beta 8, crashes as soon as I try to import any assets from the store.

5. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

@elbows - any specific assets to point us to? Then we can go chase down those crashes...

6. elbows

elbows

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it was Fluidity that I tried to import from the store. But I'm not actually sure if the instability was related to a particular asset, will do more testing tonight.

7. TomasJ

TomasJ

Crash reports (or just the editor log file / stack trace) are welcome.

Keep in mind that Editor running DX12 is not currently officially supported by us. Meaning we do not invest time into making it stable - standalone player is higher priority. You get the same experience running editor on DX11.

Ignacii likes this.