Search Unity

DX11 features on Linux (OpenGL)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ananta-das, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ananta-das

ananta-das

So, now when Unity is available on Linux, I am contemplating a switch. However, my project is using a (rather simple) geometry shader to render a key piece of the scene. I was trying to look around and everyone just mentions geometry shaders together with DX11 - is it possible to use geo shaders (and tesselation) in OpenGL verison of Unity?

I realize this is not a Linux question per-se, but I was told by a moderator on answers to ask it here :)

2. SilverWingedSeraph

SilverWingedSeraph

Certainly should be - as long as your GPU supports it, and it's not a super recent feature (i.e. DX12-only), then OpenGL should work fine.

3. ananta-das

ananta-das

Great! Is there any information about what version of OpenGL Unity is using and what extensions are available (or just what feature set)? Thanks

4. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

In builds it should work. At least in android apps with opengl es 3.1 works. Natosha said that this stuff will be included in the linux editor when they integrate it to unity 5.2. So if it doesn't yet, it should in couple months

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

With 5.2 and beyond, Unity are improving the GL side of things which ought to affect mobile, linux and mac as far as I know, so be sure to check blog and back here on forums too.

6. ananta-das

ananta-das

Cool, thanks for your responses guys! Seems like it should be pretty safe for me to migrate to Linux :)

7. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

The Unity's public roadmap, under the 5.3 section it says:

I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing the fancy tessellation features and compute shaders (as well as other features which are currently DX11 only) along with it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Ryiah likes this.