Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Dwarven Expedition Pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by florianalexandru05, Nov 6, 2017.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Texturing these was a lot of work, 4k atlas! WIP, needs alot of work still going...

I'm finally getting better accustomed to substance and I'm starting to make my own smart materials based on the presets. The problem I'm having now is that I'm becoming way to clean with the materials as I'm making my albedos very subtle and smooth transitioned. I might keep a clean brand new look and add damage and dirt as detail deter separately. Also very proud of the metals, this is the best pbr I ever made and I think I'm getting better.

(WIP)

Don't mind the lock, I haven't positioned it yet!

Still, need to texture UV these parts...

Zimnel, S4G4N, mons00n and 1 other person like this.
  2. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Slowly adding more and more details and fixes. Fixed the wood orientation and added a bevel to the metal and wood intersection to make it more believable. I always thought crude intersecting objects in games looked kinda lazy.

Moree metlla reflection shoots...

Zimnel, moco2k and S4G4N like this.
  3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Texturing finished!

Zimnel, moco2k and S4G4N like this.
  4. S4G4N

S4G4N

Looking very good

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks mr. Forge :))

And finally done!

This was a real challenge as my skills with substance grew so did my texturing standards so the work was plentiful.

• 3 door models
    • one 4k texture

Zoom in on the small metal details, and I do mean small, a few hundred pixels on the 4k image but it looks pretty good even up close.

The smaller details on the second door.

Lock, These are probably the smallest parts of the texture. I didn't really insist on making it to detailed or realistic.

Fast, sketchy wood I sculpted for the front door. Not really intended as stand-alone but it works as a separate model to.

Zimnel, S4G4N and moco2k like this.
  6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This thread is still alive. I was thinking of adding a bit for outside, like some rocks, cliffs and trees. Now I got enough experience with trees to make good looking ones.

DT04.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel likes this.
  7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

more images

Attached Files:

• DT05.jpg
      DT05.jpg
      File size:
      141.2 KB
      Views:
    • DT06.jpg
      DT06.jpg
      File size:
      149.9 KB
      Views:
  8. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Just found your dwarven assets! These are beautiful :D Have you added them to the asset store yet? I couldnt find them under your profile, wasn't sure if you were putting them up under an 'in progress' pack like your others or not xD

Keep up the great work! :D

9. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks! :D This is still in development right now. I stopped halfway through some time ago so I could finish this https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...capes/rocky-hills-environment-pro-pack-111436

I'm getting back to this dungeon now but I got a job recently so I'll see how much time I'll have to finish it. Anyway, my intent is to finish and upload it sometime the following months or sometime this year. I hope I can finish it soon. Anyway, I have some updates underway.

S4G4N likes this.
  10. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Excellent, great to hear! Congrats on the job as well :D

Sounds good, I've got my eye on these dwarven ones specifically ;) just love the feel you have with them.

Thanks for the quick reply ;)

11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

And while I was working for someone I managed to make this and I'll use it my pack. I know it's for inside but some exterior elements wouldn't hurt in front of that gate. I might make a few exterior tiles and some simple cliffs.

Reference:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Zimnel and DrOcto like this.
  12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

13. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Heck yeah these would look beautiful in front of that gate, or honestly, my first thought goes to re purposing that first one as sort of underground roots coming out of the stonework :D

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Now that you mention it maybe some dry roots sticking out would be a good idea.

DrOcto likes this.
  15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So, I'm remaking a few of my texture that I made prior to using substance designer, they were pretty wrong and ugly so am remaking them in substance designer. nothing too crazy, just fixing albedo, roughness, ao. Now the stone looks like proper dry rough stone

Zimnel likes this.
  16. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Looks awesome man! :D I gotta say, really cool seeing how there's a pretty distinct quality jump in things once you started getting in a good routine with substance :p

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Tbh, I'm not very good with substance yet but I can sure use it. Something else that I discovered is that Unreal and Unity HD render pipeline allows you to control the fresnel through the specular map in a metalness workflow if I'm not mistaken. I It gives a more realistic look since not all materials have the same fresnel and things used to look more gamey/plastic shiny. Now I'll have to add to maps to everything :) Well I'm sure a lot of people don't even bother with that while making a game...

DrOcto likes this.
  18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So I'm finally learning how to use substance designer better and this is my first attempt at making a cliff. I didn't intend for this kind of desert eroded look so I'll make another one that fits my assets better. A more rectangular yellowish one.

Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_10.jpg
    Screenshot_2c.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel likes this.
  19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I wonder if I should release my pack as it is at a low price, 28 to 30$ and update it later with all the new stuff to 50$? Does anyone have any opinion on that?

DrOcto likes this.
  20. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

HA! You say you're no good with substance designer but these screenshots say otherwise haha :D

Yeah! I think $28-30 for launch then up as goes on sounds very fair :)

Also from what I've seen that sort of pricing strategy seems effective, especially if you have enough content to really launch with.

21. kdgalla

kdgalla

I've seen a lot of sellers do that on the asset store. I think it's popular with asset buyers because at worst (if the asset is abandoned) you get small pack for a fair price and at best (lots of updates) you get a huge pack for a great deal. Some people will feel entitled to those additional updates that don't exist yet and will complain if you decide not to make them, though.

The only other problem is that if a lot of people buy it now, you miss the opportunity to charge them more later. ;)

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Well, I had made something very cool in substance a few days ago but I'm afraid it's confidential stuff now. Here's a video of some experimental stuff, this won't be used here but I think I might use the stone substance for other things. This was good practice for understanding stone and how to get a realistic looking rough stone. Also one thing that I noticed in every video game is that they never bother with the Fresnel. Not everything in real life needs to shine like plastic. Each material has its own fresnel intensity depending on the smoothness and that can be controlled through an extra map. In Unreal engines case and HDRP Unity, you have the specular input on metalness. Standard unity doesn't have it though.

I have done this before, tbh I think it's way better than to launch at full price because not everyone is ready to buy expensive but later on other people might get some insight from other buyers of the previous version until they decide to buy it. I think I'll just try to upload this in the following weeks as it is, only until the part with the tree. I won't have an exterior part to it yet until I have enough content.
    That's alright, there's always new buyers and I can always update if the product gets outdated but still have relevance.

In other news, I have been dealing with some life stuff so I'll be back to this soon.

mons00n likes this.
  23. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Finally making some stairs here, totally modular parts, the tile to infinity. After I have this + an inside cliff texture I'm ready to sell it for about 28-30$.

Attached Files:

24. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

That stone fresnel is looking pretty rad, very subtle, but with things like stone it helps sooo much :D though lets be honest... everyone does love shiny things :p

Wahoo! Stairs! Wouldnt be a kit without stairs :p do you have any rough sort of list for the current items you're planning on having in the kit? :D

25. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks mate! Haha, I gotta admit I like shimmy things to so I couldn't decide if I wanted the shiny gloss or the dry gloss.

Got to texture the base, I modeled the other arts pretty well but they aren't finished yet. I think I might change the style of this dungeon a little bit towards slightly more realistic.

Yeah, I have a plan for that, I'll come back with a list later, I'm planning on merging this pack with the other dungeon catacomb but I am remaking that one as well and I said merged but I meant that fit together. As for this pack, I'll add another one, Volume 2 with more unique looking stuff, maybe some golden parts, not as generic as volume one.

Attached Files:

mons00n likes this.
  26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

The amount of details my stone substance added to the models is insane! I think I'm changing my style again, I'll have to upgrade the other materials to match this, it shouldn't be too hard. So the end style would be slightly more realistic and a bit stylized.

Material not finished, will have to fix the seams later. Yep, there are seams because it only adds the damage along the UV islands and where you put the damaged mask.

ST_Shoot_02.jpg

Attached Files:

mons00n likes this.
  27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

More screenshots!

ST_Shoot_06.jpg

Attached Files:

28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I even kept the hight map in case someone wants a non-mesh stair material.

ST_Shoot_012.jpg
    ST_Shoot_015.jpg

Attached Files:

29. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Looking awesome :D yeah definitely don't hesitate to keep some of that stylized look/feel in there, because it IS super distinctive :D

Gosh though.. insane how much micro detail is in there now :D

30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Finally finished the stairs now.

I will return later with a proper node graph for this.

31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This is off topic but one of my friends has made some survival props some time ago and he thinks it's not really worth anything. My question is, how many of you would you think they can be sold on the store as assets and would you buy it?

samples.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I just can't believe how sad my texture work looked before substance! I successfully remade the tile in Substance Designer and it looks levels above what I had before. I'm fairly confident this is going to be a AAA product.

Render in Unity

screen_3840x1818_2019-05-25_19-59-54.jpg
    screen_3840x1818_2019-05-25_20-05-25.jpg

Attached Files:

33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

More shots

Screenshot_28.jpg

Also, making the ao maps this way now, it gives the material more depth.

aooooo.jpg

Attached Files:

• v1.jpg
      v1.jpg
      File size:
      485.4 KB
      Views:
  34. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Really cool seeing that extra layer of detail! :D

Like I said I know I'm more partial to the more slightly stylized stuff ;) (Though realistic things probably universally sell better) :D

Not too sure about survival props, I gotta believe the sort of 'prop packs' are decently more common? Especially more common compared to environment packs like the stuff you make.

35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Mister-D and mons00n like this.
  36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Ups, forgot to post this yesterday. I remade another one.

More images on my Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3or8No

So I have been thinking since I know there will be people that want this pack has more stylized, I have kept the old textures and am planning on putting them up for free with a few model samples for the people that want the stylized dungeon but bought the full version or plan to buy the full version at 30$. Basically, it will be more of a texture sample pack

37. Mister-D

Mister-D

great improvement!

38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks man! :DDDD Just now am making another substance. It looks a bit stylized atm because it needs more work. So far got a base and base albedo to see how it looks. Ofc it needs more breakdown with cracks.

Screenshot_53.jpg
    Screenshot_57.jpg
    Screenshot_27_1.jpg
    Screenshot_30 (2).jpg
    Screenshot_47 (2).jpg

39. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

So rad!! :D love that smooth sheet on the flatter areas! :):)

40. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Material finished, took me about 4 days I'm not sure anymore. Will post the rest soon. I think I'll add 3 seed in the pack.

Screenshot_15.jpg
    Breakdown1.jpg
    Screenshot_42.jpg

Attached Files:

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Screenshot_40.jpg

Attached Files:

42. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

43. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Added standalone broken bricks to facilitate more details and break up the repetition. Had some extra space on the texture that got put to good use.

StandAloneBriks_01.jpg StandAloneBriks_02.jpg

mons00n likes this.
  44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

They tile pretty well, now for the last part of work on this pack.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Attached Files:

mons00n likes this.
  45. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Heck yeah! :D looking awesome!

46. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks! :))

Remade the material for the pillar, I will go with this and give the old ones for free. I'll remove the blueish stone from the full pack. I'm making the other pillar now, a few more props to go...

47. Fer00m

Fer00m

Very nicely made, I love how detailed your texturing is! What texture resolution are you using for this piece?

48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks, I'm using 4k for most of my textures aside for the ground tiles that are 2k and should be enough as tiles. You can view the UV and textures in sketchfab by pressing the "2D/3D" view option and selecting the model.

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

One more material and asset left to revamp, after which all I'll need to make is a simple metal wall torch and try to make my own fire in substance designer and asset creation is done for this version of the pack! Not posting anything for a while because this is what I'm doing now, nothing to see yet.

50. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Ayyeeee! Wahoo :D see you on the other side after you finish this torch :p