Search Unity

Dungeon Crawler, semi-random levels

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ReverendWolf, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ReverendWolf

ReverendWolf

Hey everyone, after a few months of work after the day job I've put together a pretty decent pre-alpha of my project. It's a FPS dungeon crawler using semi-random levels. Things aren't completely procedurally generated, but I draw up some basic level outlines and have the generator do some treatment to it to help randomize them. This way I get to retain some control and make sure that every level is at least playable at a basic level.

Anywho, instructions and webplayer are here, feedback and criticism very welcome:
    http://inxod.us/unity/dungeongame

A couple shots:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. shahroozal

shahroozal

Screenshot please :)

3. Ayrik

Ayrik

It looks like a good start. You will definitely want to increase the field of view on the camera because I couldn't see much as I was playing....Just keep developing and putting up builds for us to play...err...test for you!

4. shahroozal

shahroozal

I found a bug which is when two mobs attack for the first time, the attack doesn't work well and after that, it doesn't work at all.

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi can you check the forum rules and update the opening post please.

6. ReverendWolf

ReverendWolf

Updated, and apologies.

7. TehWut

TehWut

It's turning out nice, the dungeon generation turned out well, but a little repetitive in room design (you could also add some varying wall textures). I see potential in it. However, I noted that the hands/ sword sort of rotate vertically when you move the camera (was this intentional?) If it wasn't I know you can fix it by adding the hands and weapons to a separate layer to be rendered on top.

8. ReverendWolf

ReverendWolf

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

They rotate out of frame, or do they rotate with the camera? Right now those objects are linked directly to the camera as children, so they shouldn't be rotating anywhere the camera isn't, but if they are please clarify because I need to try and replicate that and clear that up. I plan on adding more variation to the walls and floors, adding decorations, more individual tiles like different doors and all that, this is pretty much a bare minimum to see if the semi-random generation works, and works consistently. Once that's figured out, and the core gameplay is established, then I can get the real art work done :)

9. TehWut

TehWut

I had this problem a while back. See how the hands rotate slightly out of place when looking around? (the hands move away from the sword even). Compared to any given fps game, where no rotation is done when the camera moves. Now, it's a real insignificant issue and I'm not trying to make it like that. Just a note in case you want to remove that. Also I didn't really get my point out that your game is really cool :)

my original camera rotation thread: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/187426/weird-rotation-with-camera-no-code-issue.html

10. ReverendWolf

ReverendWolf

Holy crap, I see it now, yeah. I never noticed before, because it gets completely reset when it plays an animation. I'll look over that thread, thanks for the pointer!

11. ReverendWolf

ReverendWolf

seems like you fixed it with a second camera, i may have to go that route...

12. TehWut

TehWut

not too difficult at all, just clone the original camera, add the hands/weapons to a brand new layer, and set the new camera to only render that layer.

No more fuss though, I"m looking forward to some more updates ;)

13. nharde20

nharde20

Ummm, I would say this is an interesting start, but there's not enough here yet.

Definitely increase the FOV. It feels waaay too cramped. Also, since there are two weapons and two mouse buttons, why not map the different weapons to the different buttons, letting me either use two swords, two fireball hands, or one of each.

Also, am I supposed to be able to break the big crate because I can't? I used all my SP and WP, whacking away at it, but it doesn't do anything. If I am supposed to break it, and it takes more than one hit, there should be some feedback letting me know that I am affecting it; a sound, shake, particle, something.

I would definitely say either switch the digits out for a bar, or overlay the numbers on top of a bar. When it comes to the magic, you could change the color, to red or something, when your WP is too low to use an attack.

Is there a reason you have to hold the mouse button in order to cast a fireball?

Lastly, what's with the hamburger? Can I pick it up, because it's not working. If any of these questions were answered in the html before the game, then you'd definitely need to revisit your game design. I, like most gamers and people in general, have a very low attention span; especially when it comes to games. I want to learn as I play, not before and especially not from reading. How often do people actually use instruction manuals these days?