Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

DunGen - Procedural Dungeon Generation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aegon-Games, Mar 7, 2014.

1. quadralift

quadralift

I'm working with opsive third person character controller and I am trying to put a zombie on one of my tiles. I followed the instructions to put a navmesh on each tile but the ai of the zombie(behavior designer) is saying there is no valid navmesh. Are the prefabs instantiated before the navmesh? How do I get around this?

2. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with those assets, but I think behaviour designer movement pack is still using Unity's NavMeshAgent component under the hood. When I place a NavMeshAgent in a tile that has a NavMeshSurface on the prefab, I get no warning at all. If I don't have a NavMeshSurface on the tile (and instead have DunGen generate one at runtime) I do get a warning, but the agent works regardless.

Can you confirm that your NavMesh is being built properly? When the game is running, go to the Scene tab and make sure the Navigation window (Window > AI > Navigation) is visible. You should see the NavMesh as a blue mesh hovering above the ground.

CrandellWS likes this.
  3. UncleZhang

UncleZhang

It is a pity that it can only be generated at runtime. This is not what I want. I need to generate and save in editor mode so that I can create many pre-made levels. I think this is very useful and hope to improve!

4. Candy-Bomber

Candy-Bomber

This is something you can already do though, I think?

In Unity, go up to Window -> DunGen -> Generate Dungeon and it should make one in the editor when playmode isn't running =)

5. UncleZhang

UncleZhang

Thank you so much! It's just what i had in mind :)

CrandellWS likes this.
  6. sdebaun_unity

sdebaun_unity

@Aegon-Games just got this asset a few days ago and loving it!!! Got navmesh agents working and everything. But I have a question about how I'm achieving a certain effect:

upload_2021-4-29_13-37-54.png
    Airport theme. I have the main path from start (at bottom with 4 green cylinders) to end (purple room upper left). I want that main path to always be the white "concourse" rooms. I want the branch ends to always be "gates" (dark rooms with green and blue circles). I got that easily.

The tricky bit: I have two doorway socket types (large and small). Concourse rooms have a mix of large and small doorways. Gates only have a single small doorway.

In my first implementation, sometimes concourse rooms would be linked to each other via their small doorway sockets. I want them all to connect to each other only on the large sockets.

I couldn't find a straightforward way to do this: like restricting part of the flow or archetype to only use certain sockets, or telling a tile component to do the same. Or maybe there's something I can do with the flow, with multiple segments and nodes. I will only want to generate levels with 1-5 concourse segments.

My extremely hacky workaround so far has been:
    - for each large socket in each concourse room, copy the concourse room prefab and add it to the tileset
    - for each of those copies, specify a different large socket as the preferred exit

This is currently working as intended but is not ideal as it means i have to build (and maintain) multiple prefabs for each different concourse geometry.

Is there a cleaner/more maintainable way to get the effect i'm looking for?

Thanks again for the great asset!

CrandellWS likes this.
  7. KospY

KospY

@Aegon-Games

Would it be possible to add an event to AdjacentRoomCulling when a tile is hidden / shown and a way to know if a tile is visible or not? (best is a bool on the tile itself, like culled = true/false)

We are currently changing the dungen code to do this so we can set visible or not some specific stuff with the room, but that would be nice to have this by default so we don't had to update our code after each update.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

I would like to use this asset with uMMORPG but find no info on anyone doing this before...

I think if nothing else maybe i will make an addon for this to work with uMMORPG but it may take a long time to get it all done and ready for others to use...

has anyone already got it working with uMMORPG?

9. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

DunGen 2.14 (Beta 2) - Download
    Updated 20 May 2021
    Be sure to backup your project before updating to a beta version of DunGen.
    NOTE: 2.14 was packaged with Unity 2019.4. It should still work with older versions, but I can't guarantee it will continue to work going forwards.

Features
    • [New in Beta 2] Added user-defined tags that can be applied to individual tiles
      • The dungeon flow now has a "Tile Connection Rules" section that can be used to customise which tiles are allowed to connect based on their tags
      • Tags can be accessed through code to apply more complex logic
    • Added a new method for applying custom logic to allow/disallow connections between tiles (see DoorwayPairFinder.CustomConnectionRules)
      • Supports making decisions based on doorways and tiles instead of just two doorway sockets
      • Can be assigned priorities and chained together
    • Added a new navmesh adapter for 2D dungeons
      • Can be found in 'DunGen/Integration/Unity NavMesh.unitypackage'
      • Currently supports SpriteRenderer meshes (not colliders) and Tilemaps sprite meshes (also not colliders)

Enhancements
    • AdjacentRoomCulling component Improvements
      • Added IsTileVisible method and TileVisibilityChanged event
      • [New in Beta 2] Can now optionally ignore components that are already disabled from the start
      • [New in Beta 2] Many methods are now marked as virtual for easier extension
      • [New in Beta 2] Now also culls reflection probes

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Candy-Bomber likes this.
  10. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

There isn't a built-in method of doing this. The DoorwayPairFinder class is responsible for determining which doorways can connect so that's where to look if you'd like to change how things work. If you're okay using the new beta version above, I've added a new feature that gives you an easier way to do this. Here's an example script showing how it might be done. Lines 26 and 27 would need to be changed depending on how you want to detect your concourse rooms.

In the new beta build above, I've added an IsTileVisible() method and TileVisibilityChanged event to the AdjacentRoomCulling component that should help. I didn't want to tie the tile component to a specific culling solution so the new features had to go on the culling component itself.

I haven't personally used uMMORPG at all and I don't know of anyone using it with DunGen at the moment. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

CrandellWS likes this.
  11. sdebaun_unity

sdebaun_unity

@Aegon-Games wow, thank you! I will update and give it a whirl tomorrow and let you know if I find any problems.

I'm usually too lazy to leave a review, but I'm doing that for DunGen right now!

Aegon-Games likes this.
  12. sdebaun_unity

sdebaun_unity

Just reporting back: I figured why not try it right now. I installed the newest beta from your site, added that script and changed the tag names, updated the prefabs etc in my project. Ran half a dozen times to confirm: it works, looks to be generating the right range of configurations, no problems!

Thanks again @Aegon-Games !

13. hopeful

hopeful

It should be straightforward. You should be able to either have the dungeon seeds as data in your game, so the same dungeon gets used at the same point in the game, or if you want to do random dungeons, pass the seed over the network so everyone can generate the same dungeon layout.

CrandellWS and Aegon-Games like this.
  14. KospY

KospY

Perfect! Thanks!

Another change we did recently is to prevent AdjacentRoomCulling to disable / enable already disabled renderer and light.
    We modified UpdateRendererLists for this to check if the renderer is enabled and active before adding it to the list.
    I know we could use OverrideRendererVisibilities and OverrideLightVisibilities but it looked simpler to just have an option to ignore disabled stuff.

In the end I was thinking it may be better to set most methods virtual, so we can override the component and do whatever we want, it would be more flexible :)

15. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

Good ideas. I've added these to my list of things I'd like to implement in 2.14

16. KospY

KospY

Thanks!
    While you are at it, I think you could also enable/disable reflection probes with AdjacentRoomCulling.
    Seem that reflection probes take a bit of performance when not disabled ;)

Aegon-Games likes this.
  17. protopop

protopop

Ive been testing a few dungeon generators and so far I really like DunGen:

The QuickStart instructions were clear, step by step and well communicated
    The concept seems really simple and straightforward, which I like
    Its source code and not DLL which makes me feel safer about the future
    Its fast:)

Thank you for making it.

Ive just started experimenting, but I am wondering, I would like to generate a dungeon starting at my dungeon door entrance. Ive set an empty game object as the root aren't and placed it at my dungeon door. The issue is when I generate the dungeon it can move backwards into the doorway.

Id like it to generate outwards so I enter the dungeon entrance, and then start into the DunGen dungeon.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 6.32.42 PM.png

18. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

Since the start tile isn't rotated, it should always match the rotation of the dungeon root. You could use this to your advantage - by giving your start room only a single doorway, you can rotate your root object so that when the start tile is placed, its doorway is facing in the right direction.

This doesn't prevent the dungeon from looping back around though, so we need another solution for that. One option is to use the 'Straighten' property inside the archetypes. With a value of 1, this will make DunGen try to keep the dungeon going in the direction it started in, but again there are no guarantees. I think the best solution would be to use the 'Restrict to Bounds' option in the dungeon generator settings. That will give you a purple bounding box in the scene that you can use to guarantee that no tiles leave the designated area. You'll need to make sure this box is big enough to fit the entire dungeon or the generation process will fail.

protopop likes this.
  19. hopeful

hopeful

I would just add to the above that if your random dungeon doesn't fit in the in the bounds, you should be able to catch that error and select another seed, generating dungeons rapidly till you find one that fits.

Since that would be the normal use case for the bounds, it would be a good example to have in the kit.

protopop likes this.
  20. protopop

protopop

Thanks for taking the time to explain several options and how each one works. You're methodical approach shows in your answers and in your documentation, and its appreciated:)

The bounds worked perfectly. I can even rotate the entire dungeon via the root transform easily. It was failing until I used a large bounds. Since I dont think the size of the bounds really impacts performance I made the bounds 1024x1024x1024 just in case. I guess I could even make it 2048x2048x2048 without any impact since its really just a boundary, correct?

Another solution that worked but takes more setup is to make my main dungeon entrance teh dungeon start room. This way it never wraps in on itself and can also wrap around the entrance - useful if you down want the dungeon to only be on one side but don't want it to overlap.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.09.08 PM.png

E1KLJqwX0AAIag4.jpeg

21. protopop

protopop

Thanks, this is a good idea for a failsafe:)

22. unity_ULEttr3FrCE33Q

unity_ULEttr3FrCE33Q

Hi, I was wondering about the multiplayer implementation and seeds. If I set the generator's seed manually, I can't have random dungeons for every playthrough can I? I also thought about setting the seed randomly through code but then again every client would create different seed resulting in different dungeons. Is there any workaround for this issue? I'm using Mirror for the networking if that helps

23. songjiekun

songjiekun

hi @Aegon-Games

1.is there a way or API to check which doorway works as an entrance and which doorway works as an exit for one connection?
    2.if I ready knew the current tile, is there a way or API to know what is the next tile or tiles followed the current tile? so I can use code to manipulate some logic for the following tiles.

24. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

I'm not familiar with Mirror so I don't know specifically how this would be done with that library, but I would generate a random seed through code on the server and pass that seed to each of the clients. The clients can then use that seed to generate their own copy of the dungeon (which should be identical to the one on the server).

There's some connectivity information in the Dungeon class, including:
    • An ordered list of main path tiles
    • A list of branch path tiles
    • A list of all tiles
    • A list of all the connections between tiles
    Each tile has a 'Dungeon' property you can access to get all of the above. Each tile also has a 'Placement' property with some information on where the tile is placed. Here's an example of how we can use this information to get a list of all adjacent tiles, and how we can compare a tile's distance along the path to its neighbours to determine the 'previous' and 'next' tiles.

25. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

@unity_ULEttr3FrCE33Q I agree with @Aegon-Games you will want to do this on the server so you should look into `[Commands]`

https://mirror-networking.gitbook.io/docs/guides/communications/remote-actions#commands

Aegon-Games and hopeful like this.
  26. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

Just released 2.14 (Beta 2) (See original post for details).

The big change here is that tiles can now be given a set of user-defined tags. These tags can be used with the new 'Tile Connection Rules' section of the dungeon flow to apply some simple rules for customising which tiles are allowed to connect. This makes it easy to not allow corridors to connect to each other without messing around with custom door sockets.

The tags can also be accessed in code for more complex logic using the DoorwayPairFinder.CustomConnectionRules added in beta 1.

hopeful likes this.
  27. unity_ULEttr3FrCE33Q

unity_ULEttr3FrCE33Q

@Aegon-Games @CrandellWS I actually got it working using mirror's SyncVars. Basically the SyncVar stores the seed and then every client generates their own dungeon with that SyncVar's random value when spawning into the game. Just leaving this here since it might help someone in the future.

hopeful, CrandellWS and Aegon-Games like this.
  28. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

Since that was easy enough for you i suggest trying out uMMORPG, uRPG, or uSURVIVAL (I have all of those and plan to get uMMORPG remastered...)

also if you want to team up on something, I would be willing to give it a shot...I will have weekends generally available for personal projects...

29. MrZeker

MrZeker

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with door prefabs.
    Not in the door allocation, that works fine, however, I have a tile that has a door inside (not the door component, just the same prefab that is used for the doors) and whenever the dungeon is made the doors that were previously on the tiles are rotated, even if they aren't used by any script or door component.

Is there any way to prevent this? As I wanna do some rooms that contains other smaller rooms that are necessarilly together.

30. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

If the prefab doesn't have a Doorway component, DunGen shouldn't touch it at all.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem myself. I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue, but here's what I've tried:

I have a doorway prefab that has a doorway component (I gave the prefab itself some rotation just to see if DunGen was resetting it). I'm using this for the actual doorways around the edge of my tiles. I've also placed a copy of the doorway prefab in the middle of a tile and removed its doorway component.

31. MrZeker

MrZeker

Oh turns out it was the animator that was turning it. Weird.
    Sorry for the report I was sure it was linked to dungen since it is the prefab I use for doors.
    Another question I have is, if it is possible for scene prefabs for blockers to be chosen at random from the ones in the list, or it will always enable all the blockers? cause right now I have 2 gameobjects as options to be blockers but it turns on both of them.

32. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

You could use a local prop set component to pick a blocker at random.

You'd add an empty GameObject as a parent for your blockers - this would be the object added to the doorway component's blockers list. This object would have a Local Prop Set component with a count of 1-1 and each of the objects you'd like to use as blockers would be added to the list.

33. thiskidcalledtom

thiskidcalledtom

Hello aegon-Games, Do you have a discord sever for your assets? I have some questions relating to purchasing DunGen?

34. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

Sorry, I don't have a discord server. I'm more than happy to answer questions here - or you could send me a private message or email support@aegongames.com if you prefer.

35. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I would like to make dungeons that have a structure of : path > (leads to) room > path > room > path.
    Basically rooms would be connected by paths.

It would be like in this screenshot:
    upload_2021-6-18_15-10-37.png

Is that something that is achievable with the current version of DunGen? (v2.3.14)

36. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

I've just submitted DunGen 2.14 to the asset store which has an easy way to support this functionality. It usually takes a few days to pass the review process, but the same version can be found in the post here.

In 2.14, you'd do this through the new tags feature:
    1. Add two tags (e.g. 'Room' and 'Corridor') in the tag manager window (Window > DunGen > Tags)
    2. For every tile, assign the appropriate tag to the bottom of the Tile component inspector
    3. In your dungeon flow asset - in the 'Tile Connection Rules' category - make sure the mode is set to 'Accept' and you have a tag pair for each pair that should be allowed to connect (e.g. 'Room' + 'Corridor').

There's a sort of hack in older versions involving custom doorway sockets which you can read about here, but I'd recommend using the 2.14 method instead.

Vincent13122, hopeful and FeastSC2 like this.
  37. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Cool :)
    I'll wait then

38. justalexi

justalexi

Hello Aegon-Games and colleagues!
    I have a task of creating a small dungeon, but with the settings I've found the results are wildly different in total number of rooms.
    As an example, my main path is 4-5 tiles with global branching mode, 1 entrance tile, 1 exit tile, and the archetype has branching depth 1-2 and branch count also 1-2. The result can be a dungeon as small as 4 rooms and up to 9. That's a very big range if I want the players to finish the dungeon in no more than X minutes and each room takes Y minutes to visit. And if I change the settings to something more interesting, then the results are even less predictable.
    So if I want a range of total room number 6-7 for my small example, then I can regenerate the dungeon until it satisfies these constraints, and probably that's the only way to avoid "too small" variants. But each regeneration takes time and it would be nice to avoid it at least for "too big" variants.

The question: Maybe there is already a way to limit further generation of branch tiles if the limit for total number of tiles is reached?

ps. While writing this question I got an idea to remove the "extra" tiles from random branches after the generation has finished. Is it a viable solution?

39. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

I think your idea is probably the best way to do this. DunGen places tiles sequentially so it's difficult to make decisions about how many branch tiles there will be in total while actually placing them.

There's a time in the generation process when the dungeon is just a set of proxy tiles, before any GameObjects have been placed. This is the best time to make any modifications since you don't have to worry about re-spawning deleted walls to block off doorways that are no longer open.

There isn't a hook at this point in the generation process unfortunately, so you'll need to make a small modification to DunGen's source code. I've given an example of how this might work here (there's a comment with instructions on how to modify DungeonGenerator.cs to make this work).

40. justalexi

justalexi

Thank you! Yes, this sounds like a perfect solution (no problem to modify source code a bit)!

41. bradbecker

bradbecker

@Aegon-Games are you going to update the Dungen pdf on your website for 2.14?

42. theoharisalexander

theoharisalexander

So, I'm quite new to using DunGen. As such, this is probably a beginner question/problem.
    Currently, I'm just attempting to have a simple dungeon generated, with square-shaped four-door rooms and a 1-door room to start in. I've created the two requisite tile-sets and applied them to the flow and archetype (following the quick start section of the PDF), but find that I frequently generate dungeons where one side of a door connection is closed while the other is open--creating an obstruction that cannot be crossed. I've no idea why this is occurring, and my amateurish attempts at troubleshooting haven't amounted to anything. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If it helps, I'm working in 2D with tilesets.

Separately, I'm also having an issue where doors simply will not spawn if I use the prefab option instead of the scene game-object option, which is mildly frustrating but not that big of an issue so long as I can get the alternative to function without this odd half-open issue.

43. thiskidcalledtom

thiskidcalledtom

Hello Aegon-Games! I was wondering if there are video-tutorials / documentation for your asset? I'm finding the documentation PDF a little hard to read, and i learn better via visuals. Thank you!

44. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

I forgot to even update the documentation for 2.14, but it's done now and I've uploaded the new PDF.

I've only heard of this issue happening twice before now so it's not something I have a concrete answer for I'm afraid.
    Here are a few things you could try:

1. Select your dungeon flow asset and press the 'Validate Dungeon' button at the top of the inspector. That will run through some checks for common configuration errors and print them to the console if any are found.
    2. Take a look at the included simple 2D example (DunGen/Samples/Simple 2D) to see how the doorways are set up, specifically the connectors and blockers. Make sure the doorway itself isn't ever used as a connector or blocker, otherwise it could delete itself and cause issues.
    3. If possible, could you email me a small project demonstrating the issue to support@aegongames.com

I haven't made any proper video tutorials unfortunately. The closest thing I had was a no-commentary clip from 7 years ago where I basically did the 'Quick Start' section of the readme PDF.

I hate no-commentary video tutorials myself, but I can't do voice-overs. I suppose it's better than nothing so I remade that old quick start video and linked it below. Hopefully this at least demonstrates how all the core components of DunGen come together.

hopeful likes this.
  45. theoharisalexander

theoharisalexander

So, 'Validate Dungeon' found no errors, but looking through your sample certainly helped! I rebuilt my dungeon using sprites instead of tile sheets, and that fixed the problem. I'm not exactly sure what the issue was, but I believe it had something to do with me using multiple tilemaps for each DunGen Tile prefab. One for the base, one for collision, and one for each Closed Door. Sprites have worked flawlessly for me. Thanks for the suggestion (I can't believe I didn't think of that myself, to be honest.)

46. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

Good to know. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue using multiple tilemaps - I only ever tested it with a single tilemap per prefab. Ideally, I'd like to allow tile prefabs to be made however you want, so if there's an issue there I intend to fix it.

Did switching to sprites also fix the issue you were having with prefab doors not spawning? I just sort of assumed the two were related.

47. thiskidcalledtom

thiskidcalledtom

Beautiful! thank you :)

48. theoharisalexander

theoharisalexander

I forgot to test that until now, but after checking, it seems to have solved the issue as well.

49. theoharisalexander

theoharisalexander

So, I return with another issue I'm failing to resolve.
    Currently, I'm trying to get Room Culling to work. Unfortunately, the moment I enable the Adjacent Room Culling script (not the multi-cam option though I tried that too), my dungeon disappears in play mode. It's still spawning rooms, they show up in the scene hierarchy, but something is going wrong with the Culling script that appears to cull all of the rooms.
    If it helps, I'm using a simple camera attached to a player prefab that spawns in the dungeon's first room upon game start.

50. Aegon-Games

Aegon-Games

By default, the culling script uses the camera's position to determine which room it's in. For games that aren't first-person, you'll want to set the 'Target Override' field in the inspector to your actual player object so it knows which rooms to cull.

unityunity