Search Unity

Dungelot [dungeon crawler] [IOS, ANDROID]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Pixeye, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Pixeye

Pixeye

LINKS
    Site
    PC version
    Mac version

ABOUT
    Dungelot is a fun casual roguelike that plays almost like a strategic Advent Calendar. Flip over tiles to reveal amazing treasures or deadly monsters in your search for the key to exit the level. While your eventual demise is all but guaranteed, you can use your loot from previous runs to build up your characters and ensure each run can be at least a little deeper.

Patch Log

Version 1.1

[*]"Speed" stat removed. Monsters always strike first. Exception: using a magic scroll "first strike".

[*]Blue and yellow gems removed.

[*]Balance changed. (Monsters became stronger)

[*]Player can buy swords and hearts in game.

[*]Attack animation speed increased.

[*]In game weapon shop removed.

[*]Heroes description added.

[*]Magic scrolls can be used on enemy archers.

WOAHHOOO!;-) After ~4 months of developing we finally made it...well not quite as I thought and of course a lot of updates are coming but it's playable and soon will be on IOS devices.

Please, leave a comment or feedback about game/gameplay/visuals ;-)
    facebook group

Follow on twitter;-)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. virror

virror

Looking nice!
    Just have to ask, why Maggi? : p

3. Pixeye

Pixeye

Ahah...;-)) Well, the first idea was to make game ONLY about mages, kinda mage simulator...and maggi was OK name for that...but in the end when i've finished up design document and we've made some arts and programming stuff it became a dungeon crawler..Im not good at making great game stories ( or lets say I didn t do any for this game yet ) and I really dont know how to name game right now.

4. virror

virror

Why not, its easy to remember ; )

5. Pixeye

Pixeye

Nah, dont know about maggi...Agree that its easy to remember but it doest show game idea/topic.
    I think it will be better to name something like "dungeon looter")

6. TheAll

TheAll

Dungeon looter is generic as it gets. I wouldn't go with that, but nice game.

7. LeakySink

LeakySink

This is pretty cool, what software are you using to animate the character?

8. Pixeye

Pixeye

Tnx;-), Standart unity animation editor

9. Pixeye

Pixeye

Skeletons work in progress;-)

10. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Yes! zelda is my favorite game series. I would love to see a zelda like game created with unity. nice skeletons you have in progress, they fit your game well.
    And is that a blue rupee and 4-heart container I see in the first pic? :)

Keep up the good work.

11. Pixeye

Pixeye

Hehe...yes they are;-) There ll be few type of crystals_aka_rupees, you ll have to mine them like ore, then you will be able to sale them to huckster goblins, but prices on crystals wont be fixed.

About hearts...you will also have "shields" of different types, each of them hold different amount of damage. Wooden - 1 hp, Iron - 2 hp and so on.

12. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I just noticed that you had a demo up and played it and I must say it is very good, even though there really isnt anything to do in the demo, the game looks and feels right. Btw, the music is fantastic and fits a dungeon like setting really well. I wanna see more progress on this one.

13. Pixeye

Pixeye

Well, we are working hard on it...so hard that I even quit my job for it haha;-))) ( Hope worth it )

The next update will be pretty big, I ll add a combat system. The idea that you have to press right button combinations to make a hit, if you get wrong enemy strikes you.

Adding little pic to show combat mode buttons;-) They appears when you start fighting.

14. Pixeye

Pixeye

huckster goblin!!!
    He is your best friend on your path through dangerous and dark dungeons;-) He and his twin brothers own a pawn shop where you can sell your loot or even get valuable things;-) Also goblin will gladly buy crystals from you.

15. Pixeye

Pixeye

Okay..i've added a battle prototype, will be glad to hear some feedbacks;)

To start battle "move" on enemy. A bar with pointer will appear at the bottom of the screen, press "space" to stop pointer. You need to stop it in green area to make a hit, in other case monster will hit you. There are no animations right now, but you'll be able to see enemy hp's near him.

I dont know yet about this system and will it be good for players...so ask for feedbacks;-)

Public preAlpha version can be played from Here

16. augasur

augasur

Hi, I have tested your preAlpha version and I have found it quite difficult. In my opinion pointer moves quite fast or green area is too small, because my health got empty quickly. For example, you could make, the stronger is the enemy , the faster goes the pointer . But this is only my opinion. Good luck !!! :)

17. Pixeye

Pixeye

Yes, this is question of balance;-) But the point is I dont know if this mechanic interesting for players.

18. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

ahh great a new version with enemy action. I just played your new alpha, I wasnt expecting this kind of combat. Its very unique with the movable bar. I agree though with augas, it is a bit difficult to land an attack on an enemy. but with a little improvement I think this can be a great mechanic. Its a very good idea for a combat system. keep up the good work.

19. Pixeye

Pixeye

eh( actually I failed to create true zeldish action game ( too much resources to do ), the good part that i've managed to rebuild game making it easy for playing and picking up and adopt it to mobile platforms. I'll soon add a new build to play and right now I'll share some screens;-)

The dwarf guy in last pic is a new game character;-) There will be 5 of em. Paladin, dwarf ( he kills everyone with hit mug ), vampire, bard(clown), mage.

20. Pixeye

Pixeye

And...I also started to paint kinda promo pic for game;-) Well, I'm not good artist and doing this stuff after programming part but...
    Here ya go;-)

21. Duskling

Duskling

Just.....wow.

Don't give up on this!

Already from the art style, This would be a must buy for me! I love it!

22. Pixeye

Pixeye

We will do our best! Btw you can look at sorta gameplay on youtube now

Behold!! One of player classes;-) JOKER!

If you like gameplay idea from video plz thumbs up!;-)

Also follow us on twitter)))

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  23. Pixeye

Pixeye

So how do you find basic gameplay from video?)

24. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

This looks amazing! I love the art. I've started a game with a similar art style, great minds think a like haha

Also, are you planning a PC release? With a bit of work I think you could get it on Steam and that would be a buy for me since I don't have an IOS device.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  25. Pixeye

Pixeye

Tnx;-) I dont really know about pricing model yet. I think game will be free to get more players..
    About PC...of course there will be versions for PC/MAC;-) Even web. Maybe If I could afford it I'll convert to flash version too.

26. save

save

This looks amazing pixeye. My first impression was an advanced and fun version of Minesweeper but I realize there's much more to it than that. Gameplay looks promising, easy to understand and rewarding. Graphics are enjoyable and fun. Well done so far, can't wait to play it later!

27. wccrawford

wccrawford

Dude, you totally undersell yourself. I wish I could draw half that well.

28. Aguy

Aguy

Zeldish? Guess that's Zelda-ish...?
    I need to pull out my tablet and start using it. Nice dusty box in the corner, never opened.

Like the music, perfect fit for a dungeon

29. Pixeye

Pixeye

Tnx;-) your words give us strength to keep up working;-)

Yes...Zelda-ish;-) My poor english eh. Actually, there is nothing more zelda-ish in game...at first I wanted to make some classic gameplay, but in process it transformed in to this Minesweeper-o-rpg;-)

I will release web demo at the end of august. ( hope so ).
    Huge "visual" issue for our team is that we dont know how to figure out placing player character in game. It will be much cooler if player can see his character right in battle. We using an icon ( in top-left corner ), but thats not the best solution.

30. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

Well, it will not be named Maggi for sure, that's a name copyrighted by Nestle.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  31. Pixeye

Pixeye

No, it wont;-) We are still thinking about game name. Really can't figure out how to name it.

32. Pixeye

Pixeye

New mob and joker class ;-)

33. Pixeye

Pixeye

Okay.... we've decided to name our game.....DUNGELOT !;-)))

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  34. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

This looks kinda cool and diffrent.

I like the title design but im still not sure about the name Dung"e"lot ( S*** e lot? hahaha ) I can see what your trying to do with it, with the E and Lot, but when Dung is seperated it just puts a smile on my face.

I also don't think the fool character works, or looks as good as the other characters.

And I'll finish by saying that you have great color choice! really enjoy looking at the art all together.

35. Pixeye

Pixeye

Tnx for the feedback) Well;( We wanted to make something like dungeon + lot / dungeon + camelot. Eh.
    About fool character, we'll change his weapon to throwing cards.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  36. Aguy

Aguy

Dungelot...Doesn't roll off the tongue but better name.
    The jester could have a staff or something. I forget what the jester stick is called.

37. Pixeye

Pixeye

Ok;-) Many people said that they didn't understand what's happening on field so I've added in our next build direct character control. Now everyone can "see" a hero.

38. kalamona

kalamona

+1 for alpha being too difficult, i died too on the first monster. Maybe make it so that there is a larger area where you hit the monster, and a small area inside, that deals critical hit when you hit exactly that. So it is easy for regular players, but pro-s can try to do the criticals, so it stays interesting to them too.

39. Pixeye

Pixeye

Well, previous alpha is not relevant no more. Gameplay "slightly" changed and you can look at it in video.

40. Pixeye

Pixeye

Behold! Dark master of doom and fear! Vampire;-)

41. Ayrik

Ayrik

Looks really good. I like it. Do you plan on making the hero move to the location instead of teleport?

42. Mawz

Mawz

ive browsed through this and tbh i like the idea...like i have honestly been looking for a casual type of dungeon crawler game for my android

43. Pixeye

Pixeye

No, instead I'm showing footsteps path. It will be very frustrating to wait while hero moves from one corner to another. A game session is fast paced and you will often open opposite tiles.

Tnx;-)) We will do our best.

Btw, right now there are already two mobs in dungeon

Right now trying to figure out how to minimize gui elements. Dont want people to see tons of numbers on screen, but still they must understand whats happening;-)

44. Pixeye

Pixeye

Vampire is one of the playable heroes. It can drain life from monsters to heal himself but suffers in battle against undead. (undead sympathy)

45. Pixeye

Pixeye

Paladins vs ZombieCows

46. Pixeye

Pixeye

Ok) new gui at last! I wanted to make it really easy and flexible..and I think warcraft gui system fit's perfectly.

47. Pixeye

Pixeye

Main menu with some statistics;-))

48. Mander

Mander

great art. great idea. keep up the hard work.

49. Pixeye

Pixeye

• Finished hero choosing menu + upgrade system for passive skills. Each hero has 3 passive skills.
    • Finished making save data system. Now all progress saved and game can be balanced.
    • Made some localization packs.
    • Added new font ( can be seen in skill info text )

Right now 2 heroes got abilities:
    Paladin:
    -Holy Strike
    Damage bonus against undead.
    -Holy Shield
    Absorbes damage
    -Resurrection
    Little chance to resurrect after death.

Vampire:
    -Blood draining
    Steal health from enemies
    -Sympathy for the undead
    weakens enemies. But can't fight well against undead mates (damage penalty for attacking undead)
    -Batman
    AOE skill that summons swarm of bats on enemies.

My first experience in drawing icons;-)

50. Brian-Sinasac

Brian-Sinasac

Wow, this is looking really awesome. Great work!