Search Unity

Dumping application state of a Unity build for attaching a managed debugger to later

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tylershatch, Jan 15, 2020.

1. tylershatch

tylershatch

I was wondering if there is some way to generate something akin to a "managed crash dump" in a Unity application.

I sometimes build our application with "Development build" and "Script debugging" turned on in the Build Settings. This allow me to attach a C# debugger to the application, and configure it so that when certain exceptions are thrown, the application breaks in the debugger at that exception, and I can examine its C# state in detail in the debugger.

What I'm wondering is if there is someway to dump this C# state in a way that it can be attached to later. So for example, when we cut a build to send to QA, we cut it as a development build, and whenever an exception is thrown or an error is logged, a dialog pops up and the application generates a "managed crash dump", perhaps alongside some options for preventing that particular exception from triggering a dump in the future. That dump would be attached to the bug ticket, and later an engineer would attach the C# debugger to that dump and analyze the program state in order to investigate the bug.

Is this possible?

2. unity_n_rN95v2cIEGlQ

unity_n_rN95v2cIEGlQ

bump, like to hear solution from unity about this