Search Unity

Dumb question: Will GI work with html5 webplayer, and if not, what's my best lighting approach?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Reverend-Speed, May 12, 2019.

1. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Hey folks. I'm hoping to ultimately release my current project (a top-down action adventure) on as many platforms as Unity will run on, but I'm a little unclear on how I should be approaching lighting in order for it to work on these systems.

At the moment I'm building for html5 in order to share demos with teammates, but in the Lighting Inspector the Realtime Lighting has a warning reading, "Realtime Global Illumination is not supported on SM2.0 hardware nor when using GLES2.0". (Presumably GLES2.0 is the relevant note regards GI)

Should I abandon building for html5 and switch to building executables for desktops for the initial development?

I'm a reasonably experienced Unity developer, but this is my first time properly engaging with Unity's 3D lighting...!

(Also, while I'm asking, the files for this tutorial and this one don't seem to work for 2019.1.2f1. Can I expect these to be up and working again at some point in the future? I gots a lot to learnd)

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

As the console error is telling you, realtime GI is not supported for HTML5 builds. Please use executable builds instead.

Regarding the tutorials; the realtime GI tutorial project should work just fine in 2019.1 release. The tutorial steps however, are slightly outdated, as the editor UI has changed quite a bit. It is currently in our backlog to update them, but other tasks are taking priority.

The "Making Believable Visuals" tutorial is still relevant and up to date in terms of workflow and editor UI. If you happen to experience problems with the project itself, please report a bug, so that our content team could investigate.

3. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Thank you, @kristijonas_unity , wilco. I did get errors with 'Making Believable Visuals', will dl & test again and report bug. Appreciate your time on this.