Search Unity

Dumb newb question

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Ghidera, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ghidera

Ghidera

I was messing about creating some cubes of varying sizes to contruct a hollow building then attempting to add a material. The texture tiling is all set to "1" and since the cubes aren't the same size the textures are different scales and alignments.

If there were CSG capabilities in Unity (which I'm not asking for) I'd add the cubes together to get a single object and the textures would fit as I want but of course I can't do that.

Is there a way to join all these cubes as far as material is concerned or a way to tell the material to "match up" with the other cubes?

This is using the standard shader.

Oops, uninformative subject line. Can't see a way to change it so my apologies.
    Thanks!

2. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Unity uses a tiling system (which isn't good IMO), that stores the tiling on the material. As far as I know, there isn't a way to set the tiling independently for every object.

As far as connecting meshes, you might want do that in your 3D program, if you own one. You can also UV map the cubes and create a texture of their material for use in Unity. This prevents material stretching.

There's also a way to combine meshes together via scripting, but it won't fix the materials being stretched.