Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Ducking music for narration

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Damjan-Mozetic, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Damjan-Mozetic

Damjan-Mozetic

Hello!

I've set up ducking of a music track when narration takes place. The issue is that whenever there's a bit of a pause in the narration (taking a breath for example), the music recovers too quickly. It basically oscillates with the volume of the narration. Is there a way to set up the params of the ducking to keep the music at a more constant level and oscillate less? Ideally I'd like to lower the music to a level and keep it there through the whole narration duration. Perhaps ducking is not even something appropriate for my application, but I would like to automate what I'm trying to achieve nonetheless. Any Tips?

Thanks!

2. JLF

JLF

Normally with a compressor there’s a hold setting that creates a delay before the release. That would do what you want but I don’t think unity has this?

Alternatively, increasing the release time might help smooth things out.

The cleanest Option however Is to probably do this manually with a script and maybe snapshots. Ducking like this is good for dynamic mixing but since you have predefined events (the narration) you could just duck the volume manually and control every setting that way. Might give you more control over how it sounds.

Damjan-Mozetic likes this.
  3. Damjan-Mozetic

Damjan-Mozetic

Thanks, I'll give the release option a go. I was hoping for automation, as I had it scripted before.

4. tomaszsucheta

tomaszsucheta

Yeah sure JLF, compress-my-ass too

Bro! There is only one way to do it properly and that's by means of fade in and out. And you must do it before final mixdown, otherwise it will sound faul and cheap like "Aunt Audre'y Home Tricks For Anything". So: Step 1. Choose the moment of your soundtrack when lowering the voice will be natural (not in the middle of Orchestral stabs or metal guitar solo :') Sep 2: place the original track in time and set up the mixdown volume + synchro with the dialogue but without fading yet!. Step 3: Decide how much you would need to reduce the intensity it out (the less reduction the better). Step 4. Export the track to .wav file and apply slowest fader available (too fast fading sounds totally crappy) Apply fade in and out. Step 5. Import the track to your movie and adjust stereo mixdown (The original files of the dialogue is to be mono and music mono too when you start) THAT'S IT.. Congratulations, you did it like a true producer (BTW Tell, JFL, you yoused a compressor. That will be fun!)

5. elocnep

elocnep

I really don't see why a standard Sidechain Compression wouldn't work, since it's how most of dubbed documentaries are made... Sidechain Compression is more dynamic than a simple fade in and out, that you'd have to manually place everywhere you want your audio track to duck... Honestly both techniques should work, but manually fading in and out sounds like a painful chore for no valid reason :/