Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Hierarchy / Workflow issues (v5.6.2xf1)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deleted User, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'll preface this with I'm modding for a game where a lot of structure isn't of my choosing nor can I alter or change some things.

So I wanted to know if there is a way to have dual hierarchy tabs that ARE NOT in sync. I want to be able to drag things around or not have to click and hold something while wiggling my mouse like a fool on the list top or bottom to make it scroll so one day I can release the click into the "folder" I want to move something to. I tried two hierarchy tabs but as soon as I search/filter for the items I want to move it syncs to the other tab and removes the folder I'm trying to work with.

I am trying to add lighting to specific models by alt dragging to them so the light prefab is added to the exact location of the item. However there is a "day/night" option for the game where in I do not want the lighting there in the day, only night. As such the lighting has to be under the night folder in the time of day section. This means alt drag to the model, then once the coords are in place I need to move the light to the night lights folder. This is a huge PITA.

I had also tried just filtering the items then dragging them to the root scene but there are tons of basic workflow behaviors that are disabled when filtering. You can't say filter the model you want to add the light to then drag the prefabs to them while filtered. You have to unfilter once you have selected ONE of them to work with...then drag the light to it...then drag to the folder...then refilter and repeat. Sure would be nice to know if there is a feature hidden or worded differently than I've looked for to do all this.

2. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

Have you tried to lock the secondary hierarchy tab (upper right padlock icon)?
    upload_2021-7-21_7-45-4.png

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

It does nothing to "lock" the view of the tab. Locked or unlocked if I filter or click on anything in one, it syncs to the other making it useless.

Probably should have noted I'm stuck in 5.6.2xf1 which iirc is a beta...brutally inconsistent, glitchy and all around nightmarish to work in. I would 100% love to find another compatible version if there were any newer builds but I've never found any. Evening finding this version was a small nightmare of looping dead end download pages and various misdirection and dead links. The game is locked to this antiquated version of Unity and there was no formal release outside this beta for my OS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2021
  4. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

You are right, locking does not do much, even in the new versions. I don't know any other feature. You can always make an editor script to modify/extend hierarchy window or make your own. But that can be a lot of work and I don't know what are the possibilities of the older version of Unity in this matter.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

You touch on a larger issue where in there have been a lot of make shift scripts I've found for removing some of the tedium of the terrible Unity UI but they only work on the newer builds you can install via Unity HUB.

I suppose I will continue the tedium and hope one day the rumors of the game being ported to a newer Unity will manifest as truth. Though iirc the newer builds are still brutal UI wise in a lot of ways too. I can only hope the terrible glitches are fixed. The time wasted on the inconsistent UI stealing placed objects alone is insane!