Search Unity

DrownspireCoral first videos + Playable !!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ikaruga, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ikaruga

ikaruga

2. Morgan

Morgan

Looks really unique and cool!

3. drJones

drJones

very slick style ; )

i tried to d'l the widget but nothing unzipped, any ideas?

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

You did this in Unity and this is your first post?

5. Lallander

Lallander

Not sure what it is but it has a very charming quality to it. I do so hope this is a test for a larger project yet to come.

6. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Very nice style ikaruga! I love the look of the elements especially the faces and flames.

Also, the widget link worked fine here on the MBP.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this! <hint hint> ;)

7. drJones

drJones

i don't know what happened the first time but it works for me now. really well done. i'm curious as well if this is just a test or if its the beginnings of a larger project (i hope the latter ; )

it reminds me of okami in a sense - its not a visual style you'd expect to see in an interactive game so it really keeps your attention.

8. ikaruga

ikaruga

You did this in Unity and this is your first post?

Yes bigkahuna ^_^ ma very first game.

And wow thanks everyone for he warm welcome and attention to my little game. I m not much of a programmer right now so i can t promise anything big but I do wanna add stuff, I am working on more levels to explore atm. The whole stage posted in the video is about 180 polys, so it gives you an idea how muchs tuff i can show at the same time.
    I dunno if you guys can help me aroudn with this but, in a very simple languge i would like to know how to do this:

Like when you fall, your speed increase gradually and same for when you run, kindda like a car you know. vvvvvvVVVVVVVVVRVRVRVRVRRVRVRVRVRRKKRKRKKRR. I m using the premade camera asset from the default package. I would like it so much if someone could tell me how to edit htis one so the speed increases : ) !!

THanks again, I will update this tread with new shots soon ^_^

9. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

great work ikaruga.

Curious, on your web page you say that the widget can be played through yahoo's widget engine on a pc.

I didn't know it was possible to play unity widgets on a pc is that true?

Peace,
    dingo

10. Lallander

Lallander

I finally know what the level design reminded me of. Psychonauts.
    Heck if you just did level design I'm sure you could track down a programmer that would like to work on a project.

Looking forward to what comes next.

I'm fairly certain that you can't. If I am wrong then whoopsie and cool I suppose. I'm not the largest fan of the widget builds. The best bet would be a nice web player version.

11. ikaruga

ikaruga

i can t do windows builds. is it because i have a indy liscence ?

I ll update the game tonight with the second level and a playable version. :D !! It s pretty cool i find . you guys ll be the judge of that ^_^

12. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Yep it does remind me of psychonauts.

ikaragu, you definitely have some good level kung-fu.

Can you make a web build for us to play? Again really great stuff.

13. ikaruga

ikaruga

http://m0oo.com/

there ya go ^^ try to get a high as you can ^_^ ... i m working on it atm.

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Cool...

You might want to set the resolution higher in the web player, go to Edit => Player settings and change the resolution.

I like the graphics, very novel and interesting...

15. Lallander

Lallander

Web players work on PC and Mac fyi.

Also looking good.

16. Lallander

Lallander

You know what would be freaky. If we all got together and submited an area for a Psychonauts inspared webplayer. Delve into each of our psyche.

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Excellent style! If the gameplay is even half as creative as the visuals then I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Good luck ikaruga and welcome to the forum.

18. Lallander

Lallander

Looks like he is going for a tower climb platform game. Probably wouldn't be that complex other then that.

19. ikaruga

ikaruga

it s all i can do with my current knowledge.. but BEWARE MOUHHAHAHA.. I ll update the game weekly with new levels : )

thanks guys :D

20. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I'm curious what shader you're using for the alpha-based textures right now. Is it just the 2-pass veg or something else. The reason I ask is because your textures all maintain a constant luminance and are not culled.

21. nickavv

nickavv

This... is... awesome! ;D I played until I couldn't get any higher (the lower of the two huge sky brdiges). Is there any way to get to the higher one?

22. Lallander

Lallander

Not that I can see.

Is it just me or has this first post drawn more attention then any other prior first posts. Other then PlZ M4ke windowz version of Unity!!!! of course.

23. ikaruga

ikaruga

I added a higher deck. I will update it tonight and it ll have a soundtrack as well.

Lallander, haha I m very very lucky ^_^; It s sooo encouraging for me to keep working on stuff when i see this !!!

Moldorma, I just.. I used png on alpha / difuse. I wanted to keep a constant ambience all along : )

24. ikaruga

ikaruga

The game will be offline for a day. So to make up for it Igive you some shots.

^_^

25. Lallander

Lallander

You also seem to love what I refer to as pixel art. Those little characters. Dunno any beter term, anywho the most awesome freeware package for that if you haven't seen it.

http://opensword.org/pixen/

<3 this program.

Also Psychonauts was such an underrated game.

26. ikaruga

ikaruga

OMGOMGOMG this program is sooo awsome !!

27. Morgan

Morgan

I like the "reach the top" concept, since I take exactly that as a personal challenge in most FPS maps :) Especially in the old UT '99, there were often ways onto the "roof" of the map if you tried hard enough. If not, then at least you could climb the wall geometry pretty high with rocket-jumps etc.

28. Lallander

Lallander

LOL why this time? Edit: oh you mean Pixen?

And Morgan Halo was one of my favorite for trying to climb the levels. :)

29. ikaruga

ikaruga

actually the idea came to me when i saw my friends playing WoW and trying to go to undercounstruction areas by juming on the vertexes and using mesh colliding glitches.. I was like mhmm that could be fun.. :p

30. Lallander

Lallander

So when can we expect the next update? I think you have some of us hooked now.

31. ikaruga

ikaruga

in about 6 hours from now ^_^ !!

32. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry to be the late-comer to this thread but your work is gorgeous! Very pretty work indeed, keep it coming!!!

Edit: and get crackin' on that update! :p

And for reference, Psychonauts is one of my all-time favorite games... :D

33. Lallander

Lallander

To be honest I hated the last level. I saw someone else beat it and never cared to finish. I hate timed events in games really.

34. ikaruga

ikaruga

Thanks HiggyB, If i read well you re working at OTEE well you made a kickass product man ! : ) I admire you for that ^_^ !!!

And ladies and gentlemen as promised.

http://www.isopharmacy.com/zombies/index.php?categoryid=32

It's not really an update on the game tho, I added a couple of things and tweaked the camera a little bit. But it s mostly a webplayer update and site fonctionallity hehe.. (how lame..)
    I will reupdate this week for sure tho, I wanna add more graphics to the higher floor, and the soundtrack for sure. I just have to figure out the ogg file thingy.

Totally not related, I updated the music section of my portfolio : )

http://www.isopharmacy.com/zombies/index.php?categoryid=25

Cheers !! thanks so much for the support ^_^ !!!!
    Lalalander you rock !!

35. Lallander

Lallander

*bows

Thank you thank you,
    Why in particular tho?

*scratches his head

Edit: Anywho made it to the top of your newest addition. Just waiting for the new update now.

36. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

What's great: love the art direction!
    What I would change if I were myself: the FOV is too wide for my taste. Not sure if it's because of the FOV, or the controls are "too strong", i.e. forward jumping gets you really far.

37. nickavv

nickavv

Sweet update, got to the top and read the message. Now to wait another week. :p Anyways, my first time playing this update I fell off of the world... I don't even remember how. I was just walking and then poof! But it was on the left side of the level (if you're facing the back wall with the big face floating there)

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You're reading it right, I work at OTEE as the Product Evangelist for Unity (I'm at GDC right now, replying from the Expo floor as we're getting our booth ready!). Having said that I must side-step any kudos as I'm the noobie on the OTEE squad, I was just hired on last December. These guys have in fact made an incredible product and I'm thrilled to just be a part of it going forward... :D

Anyway, keep up the good work yourself!

39. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I love the art style! I think the world would be more convincing with more moving parts, and that would improve the gameplay too. Can't have a climbing to the top game without complex and dangerous moving objects.

This is really an art piece and I love it. Sort of the same style as my game Megapixel except yours is more arty and mine is pure gameplay.

40. littlelingo

littlelingo

Very cool, excellent work...

I totally suck at jumping, <G>...

Regards,

-- Clint

41. ikaruga

ikaruga

hehe thanks guys. I d like to add moving things too, most of the objects there are ment to be animated later. I still need to figure out how to animate them : )

42. Lallander

Lallander

Poke. No update? D:

43. ikaruga

ikaruga

i ddnt forget you guys ! hehe don t worry ^_^ !!! It's a pretty big update finally haha... I ll reply with the updated version don t worry man :D

44. milkytreat

milkytreat

this is fantastic! a true inspiration! keep it up :D

45. Lallander

Lallander

Well I didn't worry.. until now. You fall off the planet guy?

46. nickavv

nickavv

I PM'd him about it a while back, but I haven't gotten a reply. :(

47. Lallander

Lallander

/me pokes the thread.

Maybe his trial ran out, or did he buy a license.

48. ikaruga

ikaruga

nonono I m still alive ^_^ sorry guys haha. I just .. so many things happened and everything hehe. music making, work, vynils toys, etc.. I ve started somehting tho, I was wondering if someone knew how to connect unity and sql ?

49. nickavv

nickavv

He lives! Look on the Unify Wiki for an online highscore table script. That should have code in it that connects to a server. You're still working on Drownspire, right?

50. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There are many ways to connect Unity content and MySQL, the easiest being to make calls to CFM/PHP/ASP/etc. files on a server that then make database queries and return the data to your content (I believe that's what is discussed on the Wiki).

Now git to it and make another version of your demo! :D :p (just hasslin' you)