Search Unity

Dropdown ui component bug in Unity 5.6 (not in 5.5.3 or earlier)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Mikael-H, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

So I'm having the strangest bug occurring while using Unity 5.6 dropdowns. Before I go any further, let me just state that I have tried reproducing this in a new project but have not managed to do so. I post this here in the hopes that someone might have seen something similar and that we can maybe together come up with a repro case so we can file a proper bug report.

Background
    In short, I have panels that contain among other things dropdown boxes. There are several layers of hierarchy and I also use both vertical layout groups and horizontal layout groups at different levels of the hierarchy, with a content size fitter at the top level. The panels are displayed in screen space but are positioned each frame to correspond to a world space position. This is to achieve a ui component that follows an object in world space but does not rescale or anything. When the user wants to edit data, the panel stops following the object and becomes draggable.

Problem
    When the user starts editing and wants to select a different item in a dropdown box sometimes the panel containing the items is, for some reason, displayed in world space instead of screen space. This seems to depend on things like distance to the camera and orientation of camera but I can't say for sure as I can't come up with a case where it happens with 100% certainty.

Inspection of editor view shows that the items of the dropdown are positioned correctly in relation to their parent, they are only displayed in world space (so shader issue maybe?).

Pics or it didn't happen
    dropdown box bug.png
    Game view: In this image you can see the items of the dropdown positioned in world space.

dropdown box bug editor view.png
    Editor view: In this image you can see that the items are located correclt in the editor view. They are then transformed somehow in the game view to appear to be in world space. Inspection of the transform also indicates that the gameobject actually is positioned correctly, just somehow displayed in the wrong position.

For now I have downgraded to Unity 5.5.3 and that seems to work. As this seems like a fringe case I'm afraid that it will be hard for QA to pin down unless given a repro case so for the love of Odin, Thor and all that you may find holy, please if you have encountered anything similar, please sound off below! Otherwise I fear I'll be stuck in the nether with 5.5.3 for all time to come...

EDIT:
    Using deferred shading path btw.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I haven't experienced your exact bug, but after upgrading a project to 5.6 my dropdowns are now blocking all input and not showing the content that should be inside while also preventing the user from selecting an option or closing the dropdown. My experience may be tied to world space rendering but it's hard to be sure without burning more time.

If I add a new dropdown and try to rebuild it the same thing happens. At this point I believe the dropdowns are broken, I never had an issue using them in the past.

My current plan is to revert back to 5.5 until this is fixed. What happened to the stable releases that have been a big speaking point recently, this is game/flow breaking if a user opens one of these..

Dropdown bug.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    akaelenka, adilnajeeb and Mikael-H like this.
  3. mpue

mpue

I can confirm that behaviour.

DropDown content is now displayed inside the world space instead of screen space if the parent canvas is being disabled and reenabled again.

dropDownBug.jpg

Mikael-H likes this.
  4. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Ahhh so that's what's causing it! I'll see about filing a bug report later today! Thanks for pointing out what should have been, but wasn't, obvious :D

5. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Stephen_O and Mikael-H like this.
  7. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Possibly. Can't say for sure until it goes into the patch but I will try to get it into that one.

Mikael-H likes this.
  9. adilnajeeb

adilnajeeb

I am facing the exact same issue :/

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes the drop down is either one of two bugs which are both now fixed. Should be in an upcoming patch.

11. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Nice! Keep up the good work!

karl_jones likes this.
  12. Henner

Henner

it's not fixed in the yesterday (18. April) released patch-version, isn't it?
    I'm still facing the bug ..it's really blocking the work!

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No its not in the patch yet. Should be in the next one 5.6.0p3(ETA April 26th)

14. JasonVSG

JasonVSG

We had a problem similar to TurnOnTheGames issue. However, we did find a work around yesterday.
    In the Dropdown>Template, change the system from Clamped to Elastic. We found that the issue is the same as having an auto content size fitter on a scrollable system. The position and size values would become NaN.

Once we found that the panel had the same NaN results we tried elastic and boom. We had a work around.

Mikael-H likes this.
  15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes the issue is in how clamping works so switching clamped mode off will work.

16. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

THAT was all I had to do??? Doh... :)

17. ProgOrion

ProgOrion

I've just updated my Unity to the actual version. Still I'm facing this error:
    "my dropdowns are now blocking all input and not showing the content that should be inside while also preventing the user from selecting an option or closing the dropdown. At this point I believe the dropdowns are broken, I never had an issue using them in the past."

Karl, when will you release a patch for this? It is very frustrating! Thanks!

18. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

I think the patch 5.6 p3 has not come out yet. If ETA was 26th of april it's probably on its way

19. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5.6.0p3 is scheduled for today once QA have finished with it.

20. ProgOrion

ProgOrion

Hello Karl,

I've just updated to 5.6.0p3. Still, my dropdown doesn't work. It's very confusing. I click on it, it shows the options, but then I cannot select one, and sometimes I can't even close it anymore. Do you have any pieces of advice maybe?

21. ProgOrion

ProgOrion

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it's still not working. :/

22. ProgOrion

ProgOrion

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for yelling too much about my problem! :) It turned out to be a simple problem with sorting layers in my project. The dropdown works properly now. I really appreciate your feedbacks, have a nice day!

Mikael-H and karl_jones like this.
  23. wahahada

wahahada

Hi,ProgOrion,
    I have the same problem. I've just updated to 5.6.0f3. My dropdown sometimes doesn't work. It's very confusing me. I click on it, it doesn't show any options, and I can't even close it anymore. Do you have any pieces of advice maybe?

24. stefanob

stefanob

I also got that problem (option fields are empty) in Unity 5.6.0f3. Changing the ScrollRect Movement Type in the template to "Elastic" fixed it.

25. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This is fixed in patch 5.6.0p3

Brogan89 likes this.
  26. FayyadSufyan

FayyadSufyan

Coming from version 5.6.5f1 the issue is still present, but only when building the game to my iPhone 5c iOS 9.3 (android works fine on editor and device).
    The dropdown is showing only one item and it is not clickable!

27. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report so we can look into it