Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dropbox and Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Nomad72, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Nomad72

Nomad72

I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum, but I'm desperate for help on using Dropbox to "host" Unity games through the Webplayer.

I've set up a Dropbox account, built the game into the Public folder, and I can open (and play) the resulting file locally. However, if I try and play it over the internet I have one of two things happen: (1) using IE, I get an error saying it's not a Web Unity Player file, or (2) using Firefox, the page displays the Unity player load screen.... but it never starts loading the game.

I've seen plenty of people on these forums use Dropbox for their web based games, so I know it's possible for this to work. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the setup or if there is a "little trick" that I'm unaware of.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

You have made sure that all files necessary are deployed in the right space? There is no real trick to getting work as it should work just fine without jumping through hoops.

3. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

There is no trick. You build as webplayer into a dropbox folder, upload that folder, right click on the html file->copy public link. That is the link you use to play the game.

4. Nomad72

Nomad72

Thank you, this did the trick!

5. ZoomDomain

ZoomDomain

6. Myhijim

Myhijim

This is due to you setting the folder/web player to private

7. ZoomDomain

ZoomDomain

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  8. ZoomDomain

ZoomDomain

ok someone mentioned the public folder, Dropbox has changed:

Please note: New Dropbox accounts created after October 4, 2012 no longer have a Public folder. Don't worry! Every account created prior to this date will still have a Public folder. If you would like to enable a Public folder on a new account, see the instructions below (Creating a Public folder).

However, all the extra functionality provided by the Public folder is now accessible anywhere in your Dropbox. Now all you need to do to share and preview files and folders in your Dropbox is select Share link via your computers, phones, and tablets. Take a look at Dropbox links here or go to this article to see how it works.

9. Maccyfin

Maccyfin

Hi all. i'm having some trouble with this.

Ive set up an app on facebook and got the web player and html file uploaded to dropbox no problem. But then I enter the dropbox link in to the canvas URL field, and click save, its shows a red box at the top and an error message saying:

Error
    There was a problem saving your changes. Please try again later.

The dropbox link I get is this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8sl46pz29xt4nl/angryBirdsTraining_web_v02_addedBotPlayer.html

Then I remove the (s) so it's just 'http' and also include .dl so it's the direct download link. like this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/s/c8sl46pz29xt4nl/angryBirdsTraining_web_v02_addedBotPlayer.html

I've also tried removing the .dl part. This might be a new problem on facebook with dropbox access. Has anyone else seen this problem or got a fix?

Thanks for any help
    Martin

10. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

You can still make a public folder not sure how, but I did find a link in drop box which created one for me but forgot how I found it. Your web game won't work unless you put it in the public folder.

11. Maccyfin

Maccyfin

Thanks for the reply. I figured this one out.

To create a public folder go to here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en
    and down to the section which says 'creating a public folder'. Then just follow the instructions.

Also in my facebook developer panel it wasn't accepting the dropbox link. Here's the steps I did to get a web player game up and running on facebook. I'm adding it here incase some other newbie like me gets stuck :)

- get a drop box account
    - get a public folder as mentioned above
    - add the 2 unity files. the .html and the .unity3d which are generated when doing a web player build
    - add them to the public folder you created in your drop box account
    - copy the html file public link. like this

Right click on the .html file and click on 'get public link'. this is what you might get:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/111996988/angryBirdsTraining_web_v02_addedBotPlayer.html

- then adjust to remove the 's' and add the 'dl-web.' change like this:
    http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/111996988/angryBirdsTraining_web_v02_addedBotPlayer.html?

Then this link will be accepted in the canvas url text field in the app panel on facebook.

By the way, sorry for the quick and sloppy reply, im super busy, but I hope what i added above makes sense :)

Martin

12. Samsterdamn

Samsterdamn

A little late to the party but I just found out that if I do not have 2 JScript files with the 2 Unity files the public folder link will not work for me. Which is weird because sharing it via my blog works just fine without the two jScript files. So to get sharing working for me in my public folder in Dropbox I have the following four files.

Game_00.html
    Game_00.unity3d
    jquery.min.js
    UnityObject2.js

Hope that helps...

13. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

I just have the html and the unity files not the other two. copy a link to your html and paste it in a link for others to get it.as for the public folder, you need to create it through drop box, It is not just a normal folder you create and put the name public on it. so make sure you make the public folder through drop boxes create public folder wizard.