Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreamteck Splines - Powerful and Flexible Spline Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreamteck, May 11, 2016.

1. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Stole my words! :D

In 1.073 we have addressed the GC issue and have properly utilized the new Unity 5.6 API for drawing handles.

sjm-tech likes this.
  2. nazreee

nazreee

Hi Dreamteck, how to enable wheels to rotate realistically when spline is applied?

3. plokkum

plokkum

I was wondering if it is normal behavior for Dreamteck to keep triggering a trigger once you passed its position on the spline? Is there a built in way to trigger it just once when you pass it?

4. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hi Plokkum, there isn't a built in way to for that but what you can do is disable the trigger programatically once it has been triggered. This is a good feature idea by the way so you will probably see it in upcoming updates!

5. inertiadesigns

inertiadesigns

Do you have any converters or even unsupported scripts for creating splines from external datasets? Would prefer from a KML, OSM or shapefile (ESRI, DXF, SVG, etc)... even CSV would be better than nothing. I'm sure it's not a big deal to write one since the API is provided, but if you have anything already that's always better than slinging new code.

Thanks!

6. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hello,

We currently don't have any external importers but we have an SVG importer planned for a future release. If we end up writing other importers as side projects, I'll make sure to post them here!

7. inertiadesigns

inertiadesigns

Th
    Thanks, rough idea on time frame? One month? Six months? Really appreciate any guidance!

8. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

This feature is scheduled for version 1.0.8 which is planned for the summer (June/July). We are currently iterating through subversions of 1.0.7 in order to clear bugs and fix other known issues and as soon as we're done with this, we'll move on to version 1.0.8

9. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

+1 to import spline nodes from CSV datasets ;)

Dreamteck likes this.
  10. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Since there is demand, we have no choice but to fulfill it! :) Looking forward to 1.0.8

sjm-tech likes this.
  11. inertiadesigns

inertiadesigns

Thank you very much for the estimate, and totally understand that it's not a sure thing commitment. Based on the timeframe we'll purchase the asset now and start getting familiar with it.

Regarding the SVG import: will you import and set up the spline structures so they allow for extrusion in the y-axis? For instance, I assume you import a SVG polygon and there is a closed spline that matches the polygon. Will you build in the triangulation so that the spline can be extruded in the y-axis? Thanks!!

12. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

In Dreamteck Splines, the splines themselves don't have triangulation but it's possible to extrude a closed shape defined by a spline using the Surface generator tool. This is shown in this video:
    Since version 1.0.4 (I think) it's possible to also extrude this shape along another spline.

13. BenbowNvizzio

BenbowNvizzio

Hi Dreamteck,
    thanks for your plugin,
    i've managed to discover that there are instability using the plugin on prefabs. I've tried to make a prefab to create a basic track creation tool, and i dont know how the internal data are saved, but for examples, the triggers that i declare on a spline follower using the prefab are set to NULL after entering in playing mode. The only way i get to pass off is to remove the spline follower component, re add it after and manually add the reference to the spline computer or else it didn't work !

What can you tell me about this sort of issue ?

14. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Thank you for using Dreamteck Splines!

This sounds like a serialization issue with the scriptable objects. This isn't a known or reported issue and this is the first time I hear of it. We'll definitely run some tests tomorrow and try to pinpoint the cause of the problem so we can resolve it ASAP.

In the mean time, please drop us a line at support@dreamteck.io so we can contact you back as soon as this has been resolved or in case we need any additional details on the issue.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

A follow up on yesterday's post:

We found out that indeed the reason for the triggers becoming Null is indeed the use of ScriptableObjects. We have re-written the system and have converted the Trigger class to a regular class. We have also added a migration method that runs on the background automatically and prevents any triggers created with the previous system from being lost.
    This change along with a fix in the SurfaceGenerator's extrude functionality will soon be up on the Asset Store in version 1.0.74

16. BenbowNvizzio

BenbowNvizzio

Thank you,
    i'll drop you an email, please contact us right at the time of the update !
    I'm happy that i have actually helped you !

Benbow

17. Bright-Lab

Bright-Lab

Hello,
    Thank you for your amazing plugin.
    We are trying to create a small endless runner prototype. We want to figure out how to merge 2 splines together through code.
    We read most of the references and the closest example to what we want to achieve is the Junctions scene in the examples folder, but that is made through the editor mode.
    Is there a way to connect 2 splines together through code at runtime ?
    i.e we have two prefabs that include their own splines, and they need to be pooled endlessly and seamlessly. And our Follower (player) will need to update his path accordingly.

18. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hi,
    Yes, there are a lot of ways to do that, including creating a junction connection using the AddConnection method. However, if you are making an endless runner game and it is a linear one, I would suggest keeping the splines separate and switching between them when the time comes. We'd be happy to give you examples and further explanations if you drop us a line at support@dreamteck.io.

Cheers!

el_Guero likes this.
  19. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are working on the next big update for Dreamteck Splines and we expect to ship it in June!
    We are currently implementing import and export features from and to some known formats - this was a highly requested feature and we hope that it will improve the development process of everyone's projects even more! A lot more other features are coming too like clip value looping (you will now be able to loop the clip range of your users if your spline is closed) and 2D mode which will simplify and make the workflow for 2D projects more effective. Lots of editor features too and some API additions to make your life easier!
    freakingsvg.png

If you have a feature request, it's not too late to pitch it and even if we don't manage to add it in 1.0.8, there is still 1.0.9! :D

sjm-tech likes this.
  20. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Dreamteck Splines 1.0.8 is almost ready for release!

This is just a quick shout-out to everyone who is looking forward to the new 1.0.8. Everything is going according to plan and we will release it in June. This is the most feature-heavy update of our plugin ever made!

We are working on a new trailer for Dreamteck Splines and are looking to include footage from developers who used our plugin to make cool stuff like this: http://digitalsalmon.co.uk/b-splines-a-hundred-million-pixels/ We are going to credit everyone that we choose to include in the video, of course :)

So if you got a nice 1080p or 720p footage of something you've made with Dreamteck Splines, send it our way at team@dreamteck.io, we'd love to see it!

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  21. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi the svg import looks good, will the import allow you to control how many points are generated for the splines from the import so that you can easily use svg shapes to define different spline shape states ? It would then be very easy to do morphing between different svg shapes. Also if you are looking for other suggestions for improvement it would be quite useful to have an end cap generator for spline extrusions that defined the cap as a user curve that simply adjusted the scale of the extruded shape at the end of each spline. That way the user wouldn't need to worry about creating meshes as the caps for each extrusion and could also use more complicated shapes for the extrusions such as svg shapes which were just scaled towards zero scale at the end of each spline.

You could also implement boolean operations where one spline extrusion could be defined to cut into another extruded spline or create one combined mesh where they intersect to make more complexed meshes defined by multiple splines.

22. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hi Ian,
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! Controlling the count of the imported spline points will be a very tricky thing, we'll take a look at this possibility but right now I can't promise anything. In version 1.0.8 you will have to make sure that your shapes have the same amount of control points inside the vector application.

Having a cap defined by a curve sounds interesting, we are definitely going to look into that. However version 1.0.8 won't have this feature for sure since otherwise we will have to run off-schedule.

Sadly Dreamteck Splines doesn't deal with boolean operations so I don't think we will ever see boolean operations in our plugin. What you can do is save the mesh as an OBJ files (version 1.0.8 will also be able to save it as an Asset file) and then use some other plugin to perform the boolean opreations.

Cheers!

23. Piflik

Piflik

Hi

I am currently testing your plugin (1.0.72) for use in a current project, specifically for the Object Bender.
    I use my own class to control the points of a SplineComputer (which works fine), because I need a specific mathematical curve (a clothoid, or Euler-Spiral), but when I move the points (either in the Editor or during runtime vie a script), the Bender's update is extremely jittery. The effect is emphasized relative to the moving vertex's position along the spline's length: vertices at either end work very well, while vertices near the middle of the spline are problematic. Changing the Update Method has no effect on this.

I am aware that the Bender is still in Beta in this version, but is that a know limitation of the plugin or an user error on my end?

24. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hi Piflik,

This is not a know issue and we haven't seen this before so can you please send us a sample project to support@dreamteck.io so we can take a look at it?

Thanks!

25. Piflik

Piflik

I'm not at work till next Wednesday, but all I really did was add a SplineComputer to the scene, with some vertices (all but the first two were 'inserted' into the existing spline, if that matters), and used it to control a Plane (scaled up along the z-axis to ~20) with an ObjectBender. When I move one of the middle vertices, either via a script or by hand in the editor, the mesh jitters quite a bit. Might be an interaction with the non-uniform scale of the mesh.

I should be able to get a small example ready on Wednesday, if you can't reproduce the effect.

26. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hi Piflik,

I saw what you are talking about. I had to move the spline points a little bit faster for this issue to become noticeable but it's definitely there. That wasn't around in earlier versions for sure and I don't know what might be causing it but we are definitely going to take a loot at this issue and see if we can provide a fix in the new release.

27. wolfen231

wolfen231

Did you guys get vertex snapping in yet?

28. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Vertex snapping was already in in 1.0.7. Holding "V" while in free move mode, caused the spline to snap to vertices. However, in version 1.0.8 vertex snapping is also available when the move tool is selected.

29. wolfen231

wolfen231

That indeed is there. Fantastic. Thanks guys. =)

30. wolfen231

wolfen231

Sorry, actually I need "grid" snapping.

31. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Grid snapping should work when you use the move tool and hold down left ctrl. Is this working for you in 1.0.75? If not, then it might be a bug.

32. wolfen231

wolfen231

Ok. Interesting. So it seems to be adhering to the default grid. This is fine... but I really wish it would be working with the ProGrids tool I use instead. Default Unity grid is pretty meh. Like it doesn't actually SNAP to the grid lines. For example when you place something at 1.3435 and use snapping it will just move to 2.3435. Progrids makes things snap ON it's grid. Move it from anywhere like 1.3435 itll snap onto 2 or where ever you drag it.

Example gif with Unity VS. Progrids.

Attached Files:

33. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Oh I totally understand now. Well, to be honest, progrids support hasn't been in the works since this is a paid plugin. We got Playmaker recently and created actions for it so we might soon purchase progrids too and add support for it. For sure version 1.0.8 however will not have progrids support built in, but we'll look into adding it in one of the next versions (1.0.82 for example)

34. wolfen231

wolfen231

Right-o. The hacky way I do it now is I drop each spline point I want to move to 0.0.0 and then set the unity snapping to the grid size I want. Then it at least stays on the grid points haha. VERY tedious though.

Outside of that one thing I am actually really happy with this tool. =)

35. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Yes, indeed setting the position to 0,0,0 before you can snap is tedious. Hmm, I'm thinking of something. Version 1.0.8 is almost ready to publish - we are working on the documentation and videos but maybe we could squeeze one final feature before we seal it up. What we can do for you is add a grid snap feature which won't be using ProGrids but it will work like it out of the box. We can add snapping to the corners of the grid squares or to the centers and make the grid size configurable. Do you think that something like that would work for you?

36. wolfen231

wolfen231

I am sure it would if the grid size is able to go to various sizes. Even really small like .0313 and such. Working in VR with small things and modular assets requires tiny grids haha.

37. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

We got that feature in today and you can set the grid size to be up to 0.001. Hope that's enough :)

38. wolfen231

wolfen231

haha far more than enough I think.

39. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Version 1.0.8 is out everyone! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of it. Make sure to remove the previous version before installing the new one since some files' names have been changed in 1.0.8

This is the biggest update we have ever pushed and contains a lot of features and bugfixes requested by our customers - thank you everyone for the feedback!

We have also started releasing various scripts and projects for Dreamteck Splines on our Git repository here: https://github.com/Dreamteck/dreamteck-splines

Here is the changelog:

FEATURE: Added a "DTK Splines" preference window in Edit->Preferences which lets the user set edito colors and defaults
    FEATURE: Added importing and exporting funcitonality for SVG and CSV files
    FEATURE: The Spawn Objects tool now works with multiple splines simultaneously
    FEATURE: Spline primitives can now be created at runtime using the Primitives API
    FEATURE: Added a method to convert Hermite splines to Bezier splines
    FEATURE: Added "Select All", "Deselect All" and "Select Inverse" options to the SplineComputer inspector
    FEATURE: Added a "Tangents Only" option to the Flat points operation which will keep point position but will flatten the tangents
    FEATURE: When creating a new Spline from the GameObject menu, if an object is selected, the user is presented with an option to make the spline a child of the selected object
    FEATURE: The SplinePositioner component now has triggers
    FEATURE: The SplinePositioner component now supports Rigidbodies
    FEATURE: The SplineProjector now supports Rigidbodies
    FEATURE: The SplineProjector's, SplinePositioner's and SplineFollower's (now SplineTracer) offsettedResult property now works with custom offsets
    FEATURE: Minor UI improvements and fixes
    FEATURE: Modified the Move tool to make editing cleaner and easier
    FEATURE: Added a new space mode to the Move, Rotate and Scale tools which orients the handle along the spline's direction
    FEATURE: Added a layermask option to the surface point creation method to selectively include raycasting layers
    FEATURE: Added point numbers in the scene view
    FEATURE: Added a camera preview foldout to the SplinePositioner, SplineFollower and SplineProjector components
    FEATURE: Added a select button for each connected spline in a Node
    FEATURE: When a Bezier spline is connected to a Node, the node will provide tangnet handles
    FEATURE: Added a 2D editor mode for the SplineComputer which keeps the spline flat along the Z axis and orients the normals along negative Z
    FEATURE: The ExtrudeMesh component now supports unstretched caps
    FEATURE: Added an option to disable the automatic update of the SplineRenderer and update it manually with a script
    FEATURE: Added Playmaker actions
    FEATURE: Added snapping functionality to the move tool

FIX: Improved bezier path closing behavior - broken tangents at the closing point are now properly preserved
    FIX: Unsubscribing a SplineUsers from SplineComputers no longer causes other SplineUsers to get unsubscribed.
    FIX: Spline point tangents are now automatically smoothed when the point type is set to Smooth
    FIX: Splines set to "Always draw" no longer stop drawing after exiting play mode
    FIX: SplineFollower.SetDistance no longer activates triggers when called
    FIX: SplineFollower.Restart now also restarts the triggers
    FIX: Newly created SplinePositioners and SplineFollowers get properly updated when their offset or rotationOffset is changed at runtime
    FIX: The Scene View is updated when editing the triggers for the SplineFollower, SplineProjector and SplinePositioner in the inspector
    FIX: Trigger events for the SplineFollower are now executed after the motion is applied
    FIX: When a node is deleted and then Undo is performed a NullReferenceException is thrown when the Node is moved
    FIX: When Undo is performed after a Spline is edited, the SplineComputers now properly update all related SplineUsers
    FIX: Fixed the tangled up UVs of the TubeGenerator's round caps
    FIX: Refined the general behavior of the UVs for all Mesh Generator components
    FIX: The TubeGenerator's round caps now scape properly according to the spline's point sizes
    FIX: Solved the twitching issue of the SplineFollower when entering and exiting addresses in Multithreaded mode
    FIX: The tools window no longer throws a NullReferenceException if the Assembly is recompiled during it being open
    FIX: Fixed the mesh twitching issue with the ObjectBender when the component is added on an object with a mesh filter
    FIX: Fixed the NullReferenceException in the ObjectBender when creating a new ObjectBender
    FIX: Improved editor memory usage and spline drawing performance
    FIX: Spline.Project now works properly with precision levels above 0.9
    FIX: Fixed the Project method issue which caused inaccurate projections around the first point of closed splines
    FIX: The SplineFollower component now gets properly confined by the clip range when the follow mode is set to Time
    FIX: Changing the position of a Bezier control point from the inspector no longer displaces the tangents

API: Added the Dreamteck.Splines.IO namespace which contains all classes for exporting and importing splines
    API: Added the Dreamteck.Splines.Primitives namespace which contains the available primitives
    API: Added the ConvertToBezier method to the Spline and SplineComputer classes which will convert a Hermite spline to a Bezier one
    API: The Restart method now has an optinal "startPosition" parameter to specify where the follower will start
    API: New method SplineComputer.SetPointPosition added for setting only the position of a point very quickly
    API: New method SplineComputer.SetPointTangents added for setting only the tangents of a point very quickly
    API: New method SplineComputer.SetPointNormals added for setting only the normals of a point very quickly
    API: New method SplineComputer.SetPointSize added for setting only the size of a point very quickly
    API: New method SplineComputer.SetPointColor added for setting only the color of a point very quickly
    API: Calling SplineComputer.SetPoint with an index bigger than the points length now extends the point array of the spline automatically to fit the index
    API: SplineAddress.Enter has been renamed to SplineAddress.AddSpline
    API: Added a new overload to SplineAddress.AddSpline which takes a SplineComputer and a connection point index
    API: Added a new overload to SplineComputer.GetConnectedComputers which returns the connected computers and connection points at a certain percent
    API: Added a new method - SplineUser.AddComputer which acts as an analogue of SplineUser.EnterAddress but instead of nodes, it takes a SplineComputer directly along with the connection points

SUPPORT: Updated the user manual and API references with the new features, as well as more explanations on how Dreamteck Splines works.

sjm-tech likes this.
  40. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

wow ... big update!
    I Can't wait to try.
    Thanks
    Max

Dreamteck likes this.
  41. wolfen231

wolfen231

I see that snap function at the end. Can't wait to try it out. =)

Huge update! Interested in the 2d Editor too. Hoping you guys might plan on expanding on it.

Dreamteck likes this.
  42. Ullukai

Ullukai

Great !
    but how do i update my project to this new version ? or do i have to start a new project instead of updating ? will it wreck all splines if i update to the new version ?

43. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Hi,
    You can just open a new scene (so that you don't lose any progress), then delete the Dreamteck folder and import the new version after that. All your work should be properly preserved but I would suggest making a backup before that just in case.

44. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi the new SVG import seems to work really well it is great for being able to add a vector logo and then filling the shapes with substance materials to create icons that look allot sharper than textures. Would it be possible to add a tool that would project a spline and manipulate the height of the control points based onto other meshes or games objects in the scene as well as terrains though ? That way it would be easy to project vector style objects onto other meshes and then you could easily bake them as mesh style decals. You could even make a spline controller that adjusted the precision of the spline based how close the camera was too it so that the sharpness of the SVG increased if the user got very close to it.

Also regarding my suggestion of controlling how many control points were created on imported svgs so that you could ensure they matched another svg in order to use them both as morph targets. Would a simply way to implement that be to add a tool that simply added more points to an existing spline and then redistribute those points an equal distance along the spline so you could easily control how many control points any spline object had regardless of its shape.

Thanks,

Ian

45. FundayMartin

FundayMartin

Hi
    Just bought the plugin, and I'm having some issues figuring out how to implement some custom branching logic.
    I saw your videos on "Junctions" which I guess is the same thing.

We have a custom class that flies a space ship along several splines in sucession, and we need to have some custom logic so that the user can choose a branch either to the left or the right in some cases.

We've got junctions working, but I'm still a little bit at a loss on how I would evaluate the junctions at runtime. Could you perhaps provide a small sample?

Thanks in advance.

46. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

@IanStanbridge Yes, adding a tool for projecting a spline onto a surface is a pretty simple task actually. A ray has to be casted from each point of the spline along the projection direction and if there is a hit, then the point should be moved to the hit point. I can write such a tool and upload it to the Git repository but since this is pretty specific functionality this tool will probably not make it to an official version on the Asset Store.

Making a the precision variable is an easy task but it's not functional. People usually need constant precision for their splines but a special component can be made which averages the spline points, find the average position and then change the precision based on the distance between the average position and the camera.

And yes, hypothetically, a tool that will insert new points can be created but sadly it's easier said than done. Adding such a tool would be quite a major feature and we can't promise anything at this point but such a tool might make an appearance in version 1.1.0 maybe.

@FundayMartin Thank you for purchasing Dreamteck Splines. There are two ways that you can traverse a path with junctions: The first way is to use SplineUser.EnterAddress to enter new junctions along the path (this is the API equivalent of the junction window in the junctions video). The second way is to have the splines connected to nodes only at their end points (no middle points connected) then instead of using EnterAddress, listen for the onEndReached or onBeginningReached events of the SplineFollower and then get the connected node at the currently traversed spline by accessing follower.computer.nodeLinks[index].node and changing the follower's computer to another computer connected to the node. Drop us a line at support@dreamteck.io and we can send you an example.

47. Skymx99

Skymx99

hello,

I am looking for a way to place objects along a spline and snap them to the terrain. I am working on a motocross game and want the ability to place a spline around the edges of the track that I can place a bunch of haybales or fencing to follow the path and snap to the terrain. Is this possible with Dreamteck Splines? The image below shows what I am trying to achieve. The blocks along the edge of the track.

Thanks!

48. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Thank you for your interest in Dreamteck Splines!
    You can create multiple objects along splines with randomized properties, etc. but we don't currently support conforming to terrain. However, this isn't hard to implement. We'll take a look at the ObjectController component and see if we can add this functionality.

49. Skymx99

Skymx99

That sounds great. Thank you. I will keep an eye out for an update.

50. mcmonk

mcmonk

Great asset!

Is it possible to randomly repeat different textures along the path? So as to avoid a repetitive road visual :)
    Also what would be the best option if i want all curves to look different from the more straight areas? Do you have an idea on how I could script something like that automatically? :)