Search Unity

DrawMeshInstanced Does Not Work When Using SetReplacementShader In Build

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by brilliantgames, Sep 8, 2019.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

So I've come to a very frustrating discovery. DrawMeshInstanced does not work when using SetReplacementShader specifically in a windows build. It works perfect in editor, but as soon as I make a build, the instanced models do not show up in the render when using SetReplacementShader. If I reset the camera placement shader, the models show up in the render. I even made sure the script execution order lines up so that the models are drawn before the render is called while using SetReplacementShader.

Anyone ever come across this issue/bug? If so, are there any workarounds?

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Could it be that the replacement shader is stripped in the build. Try to make a material with the replacement shader. Add it to a resources folder to get it included and make sure the instanced checkbox is enabled.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Did you ever find a solution? I also stumbled upon this issue as well. It seems DrawMeshInstanced and replacement shaders are simply not compatible in builds.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I guess it's instancing that's the problem.

We implemented a workaround where we use Graphics.DrawMesh instead when we activate replacement shaders and it works. But this is a bug IMO.