Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

drawing for games

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by reptilebeats, Sep 19, 2012.

1. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi everyone i truly suck at drawing and have started to watch some videos to get better, iv'e started learning with pen and paper but would like to upgrade to digital as i do a lot of work in photoshop already.

i own a wacom bamboo and its alright, but then i wouldn't really notice as I'm terrible at drawing. i would like to get some views from proper game artists of the equipment or methods they use, or useful links for beginners like me.

I'm looking into doing it all characters, backgrounds, learning perspective and everything else. but really i need to go back to basics and learn shading to make objects appear 3d

i was thinking f buying a cintiq hd 24 touch when i had some more money what are these like, do they truly feel like a pen and paper, im not bad using a bamboo for the edges and stuff but i think i may be better with a screen when it comes to actual drawing.

so in short i just want to start a discussion about the best methods or what suits them to drawing stuff for games, i know there will be some of you that use a mouse to draw, i have tried and can not what so ever, i tend to switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing.

just remember when your replying i am basically as good as a 6 year old when it comes to drawing, but plan on spending the next three years learning to draw in my spare time

2. Tzan

Tzan

If you are willing to spend the time, years, learning how to draw better, then you should stick to paper and pencil/pen for a while/year.

Paper, pencil, eraser

Pencils 2H to 6B are good to use
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil

White vinyl eraser
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraser
    I like Staedtler Mars because I work as an architectural designer.

Paper
    http://www.strathmoreartist.com/products.html
    Strathmore is good. Sketch or Drawing pad.
    Go to an art supply store and grab a large format pad that indicates its for pencil drawing.
    Then fill every page. I've got 10+ filled and I still am not a pro grade artist. I'm not bad, but not pro.

Spending more money (cintiq) will not make you a better artist.
    Spending more time practicing will.
    Most artists are just born that way, but still must fill the sketch books.
    Natural talent only goes so far, if you have no natural talent it will take you twice as long.

For color you might try colored pencils
    http://www.prismacolor.com/products/colored-pencils
    I like Prismacolor, soft core.
    Fill at least one pad in pencil before worrying about color.

Of course you can still practice on the bamboo in Photoshop and Painter.

Disclaimer: I'm old, there were no good art programs back then so I learned on paper.
    Can you learn 100% digital, maybe, I dont know.
    Brainstorming ideas is still paper work. Since its years to get good, 1 year on paper cant hurt.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. laforced

laforced

4. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

see my signature....

Also try to draw nudes from life. Also draw still lifes and everything else you can.
    Watching videos only gets you so far. The most important thing to do is: DO IT!
    And: DON'T GET LOST IN TOO MANY VIDEOS! You really need to do it. Keep your old work and look at it later and you'll see the improvement.

Then after you've had some trial and error go and look for literature or training videos.
    The book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" has a few interesting theories and ideas.

Then maybe have a look through John Troy Nickel's Blog. He has very inspirational and useful pieces of work and tips. Mostly 3D, though. So look a little deeper for the 2D stuff.

again ... signature ;)

5. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i think i will leave color for a while just until something actually looks good, the problem with me at the moment is i can never visualise what i am drawing, im not bad at modelling, infact i would say as soon as i started i found it very easy. maybe not the best at it just yet but i have only been modelling for nine months. its strange because i can do the little details on objects or characters i make in photoshop using their uv, but cant draw.

the cintiq i wasn't going to buy until i had the money spare lying around probably next year, but this was also going to be used for modelling and i suppose I'm just one of those people that are addicted to buying equipment i never really use, i bought a mouse for 80 quid the other day, why, i don't really need one.

ok so i went to my local shop, it was late about 10 so i had to go tesco supermarket. but i found some pencils hb and what not full set of 12 they had a4 sketch pads for a pound 20 pages so 40 sides, purchased 5 books and will probably buy another 5 before the offer ends as im going to need them. got a rubber but would prefer one on the end of my pencil so might get some of ebay.

i spent a good two hours taking my time trying to draw objects i placed on the paper and even though they weren't very good it was still an improvement, i may not have natural talent but i am very good at learning quickly, just need to get the basics down. i wasn't bad in school but never carried on with it, to busy drinking and what not. oh i also got a sketch book a5 i will use for in my spare time, like when i take my son to a play pit.

i just enrolled on a course to learn a few extra bits about animation and drawing but might see if they do any sketching classes as well, in three years time i will be able to draw, maybe not a pro but i will be able to draw.

6. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

have to have a look through them on the weekend, the guy seems to say what im going to do a lot lol, might learn some techniques i didn't know from it though defiantly worth a skim

7. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

yh i see what your saying, following videos will just mean im copying them and not really learning how to draw on my own, i was only going to look at videos to get an idea of different techniques people use when drawing, and to get me on the right track. for example i knew nothing about perspective drawing and now watching a few videos i know how i should approach it correctly, rather than just trying to draw it which never worked well.

i will have a proper look through these videos on the weekend,

8. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

In that case Ctrl-Paint is for you. Matt Kohr explains very well and in a very understandble way. He also gives you things to practise.
    If you like his site (and you should ;) ) - go and buy his videos, later on. He really deserves it for what he does with his site.

I wish I had an instructor like him when I went to art school. Ctrl-Paint has my absolute and full 100% endorsement of being a cool and useful site. :)

BTW - I forgot to link that in my post earlier: http://hyperdivine.blogspot.de/?view=classic

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. Joppel

Joppel

If you cant produce good art with a bamboo you won't produce good art with a cintiq.
    cintiq is better no doubt but if you can draw the only real difference is in workflow and speed between the two, not in quality.

I'm no great 2d artist, textures is my weakest point, but I'm decent at composition and drawing scenes and characters. You might find some part that comes easier than the rest to you and if you are perceptive perhaps you can extend your excising skills.

I'd suggest reading a few books on perspective, anatomy and whatnot. Most important would be as many others already said: Practice. Draw the room you're sitting in (by hand). Draw your dog. Draw your sister. And so on and so forth.
    Keep notes on what went wrong in each picture: is the perspective skewed? Is one body part to large? does the shadows look weird?

Good luck.

edit:
    One thing that might be useful; if you are as you say on the level of a six year old you might not want to climb all the way at once but still see decent results. Try creating some vector art (I like Illustrator although its a bit of a pain to get a good work-flow in).
    The big pro with vector art is that while you're practising you can instantly have clean straight lines and when looking over your art you can after criticism make adjustment and see where you're messing up.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. scr33ner

scr33ner

I agree with what others have said regarding traditional, non-digital work.

Can't stress how important life drawing human anatomy are in creating 3d work. I went to school for graphic design along the way, my "traditional art" skills got rusty since I eventually ended up in the healthcare industry. I kinda would like to sign up for life drawing again just as refresher.

Now I am working on producing a game. It's a bit of a challenge for me to go straight into a modelling program without drawing something out on paper. So I find myself now sitting on a street on weekends "speed drawing" people. It's a great exercise/warm-up drawing stick figures of people walking around.

I would also suggest getting the book An Anatomy for Artists. It's a great reference for musculo-skeletal system on the back, there are plates of Muybridge's work of people in motion. Extremely helpful when getting into animating walk/run cycles.

11. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

so its been a while now and i have been drawing from time to time to improve my skills, heck i even spent a few months working on traditional animation by pencil. absolute torture that was haha.

anyway i thought i would post a few bits on here to show my progress so far.
    equipment i now only own is a staedler pencil HB, tried loads had the intire grade set, but i really like working with only one pencil rather than a load. i own faber castell pens and water color pencils and some staedler pens. really like staedler

i also had a cintiq 12wx but a month after i bought it they brought out the 13hd so waiting till i can get that later this year as it is an amazing bit of gear and i really think i can draw better on it than i can with pencil. also been following mark crilley on youtube really good teacher as he explains what he is doing rather than, hey watch me draw really fast

anyway i have several books full of drawings but havent had the time to scan them in so i will post a few bits that i have got digital and not digital
    $Rascal.jpg $Naomi Cage.jpg $Rover_Side.jpg $Checkpoint.jpg $Hanger.jpg

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  12. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

13. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

ive got better stuff in my scrap books but as i went back to uni they have them all. im buying a decent camera after christmas and was going to take a photo of ever page to make a digital scrapbook so i will post it then. but any comments are welcome,

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  14. rollsamanta01

rollsamanta01