Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Drawing an Image over a line of text

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by MrHappyKiller, Jul 23, 2017.

1. MrHappyKiller

MrHappyKiller

I'm currently using the link system in TMP to organize my separate save files (Thank you Stephan), but I'm having a whole lot of trouble with this one aspect. I'm wanting to draw a simple Image piece (I just set it as active when needed) over the text line to act as a suggestion box. I got this to slightly work. But my problem was, as I went down the lines, the box would go a little bit above the line each time. So basically, when I was at the bottom the box would be three lines above. Here's what I mean:

http://imgur.com/a/5bEZZ

As you can see, kinda weird what it's doing. I originally thought I could put the image outside the canvas perhaps and transform a point, but this did not work.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Again take a look at the TextInfoDebugTool.cs script and how it draws the bounds for individual lines.

3. MrHappyKiller

MrHappyKiller

I did, but even when transforming the point as shown in the debug, I get that same problem:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         if (GetCurrentLinkIndex() > -1)
    2.         {
    3.             var lineInfo = saveText.textInfo.lineInfo[GetCurrentLinkIndex()];
    4.             var textInfo = saveText.textInfo;
    6.             float ascender = lineInfo.ascender;
    7.             float descender = lineInfo.descender;
    9.             Vector3 bottomLeft = saveText.transform.TransformPoint(new Vector3(textInfo.characterInfo[lineInfo.firstCharacterIndex].bottomLeft.x, descender, 0));
    10.             Vector3 topLeft = saveText.transform.TransformPoint(new Vector3(textInfo.characterInfo[lineInfo.firstCharacterIndex].bottomLeft.x, ascender, 0));
    11.             Vector3 topRight = saveText.transform.TransformPoint(new Vector3(textInfo.characterInfo[lineInfo.lastCharacterIndex].topRight.x, ascender, 0));
    12.             Vector3 bottomRight = saveText.transform.TransformPoint(new Vector3(textInfo.characterInfo[lineInfo.lastCharacterIndex].topRight.x, descender, 0));
    14.             LoadSelectionArrow(true, topLeft.x, topLeft.y);
    15.         }
    Maybe I'm not seeing something I should, I seem to be terrible at this

4. MrHappyKiller

MrHappyKiller

Well, silly me. The problem was within my code. When loading it, I was drawing it based on a weird set of wrong local coords. Used a line renderer to draw the image and it works like a charm. :) Thanks! You seem to be the most helpful developer on here.