Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Draggable overlays, custom toolbars, new Tool systems

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by gabrielw_unity, Oct 28, 2020.

1. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Hi @ThomasLopez, I really appreciate you reaching out to me.

I have confirmed that my icons are png files of size 32x32 pixels, I have them imported like this:
    upload_2022-1-24_13-30-52.png
    I don't know if these settings matter at all for this.
    Right now I'm trying to get things running for 21.2, but ultimately will need to target everything that I can.

Here is some context that will maybe make what I'm trying to accomplish more clear. I have a ruler tool that displays measurements in the scene. It is useful for keeping track of scales of things, etc. I want in my overlay to have a button at the top. When pressed it will select the tool in the scene, and when pressed again will focus on it (like hitting the F key).

Underneath that button I want a toolbar. I think my issue is that I want both a button and a toolbar strip in the same overlay. It seems like things were not designed with mixing and matching. I guess I can probably get around it by giving up on the "select/focus" button and just having a toolbar.

The other part of my ruler tool alows you to set up and configure axis however you like:
    upload_2022-1-24_13-43-10.png

And the ruler in the scene displays the measurement values on screen based on where the mouse position is at.
    upload_2022-1-24_13-40-52.png

These values can be hard to read depending on colors, clutter, etc. So I thought it would be nice to move them into their own dedicated section with labels/axis/values.

It sounds like what you're saying is that it would be best to have two separate overlays for this information. That is to say:
    upload_2022-1-24_13-43-54.png
    I would have two overlays Nested under Benevolent Ruler one for my Toolbar, the other for Information?

I guess that's also nice from a UX perspective because if someone wants the labels but not the toolbar it is an option.

Attached Files:

2. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

As a side question (and at the risk of getting off topic) does anyone have a good resource, discussion, tutorial, docs, etc that has a clean(ish) way to manage supporting multiple unity versions? I have so many
    #if
    defs at this point, my code looks like Swiss cheese.

I actually think having a different branch for every supported version and maintaining it separately would be more sane than what I'm doing now, and that sounds quite insane to me. Idk how that would work w/ the asset store, either though.

3. awesomedata

awesomedata

Can we mark, hide, and show entire _groups_ of overlays at once? -- i.e. with the "H" key over a single one in one of our "groups" we might want to show/hide?

For example, I might want to hide all editing tools temporarily to see the scene view better so I can edit it more easily, then press "H" again to show those editing tools immediately to resume editing after deciding where I want to place something or how I want to modify it.

Ruchir and JesOb like this.
  4. Rowlan

Rowlan

Tried to combine your overlays with your splines in MicroVerse:

I'm pleased, what a super smooth workflow that is :)